+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLEASE HELP Police record check Spain

Canelita647

Star Member
Feb 10, 2021
In the process of sponsoring my husband. He lives in Dominican Republic. He went to university in Spain so they are now asking for a police record check for him from Spain. Does anyone have experience with this process? Obviously he will not go there to obtain the police check but, we are trying to do it by mail. From what I understand and translated from the Spain website was that he needs to complete the Model 790 form. Also that to prove identity he needs to provide a certified photocopy of his passport. However, I'm confused about the payment options... how does he pay for it? On the website is confusing to me as I only speak English and the process that they are stating for payment is unrecognized to me. Please help. This is the website for the Police Check in Spain:
https://www.mjusticia.gob.es/es/ciudadanos/tramites/certificado-antecedentes

Marseluhu

Jan 13, 2021
Hi,
I am in the same situation now. How did you manage? Maybe you can share, it will be really helpful. Thank you

Canelita647

Star Member
Feb 10, 2021
Hi, so my husband went to school there so he has some friends currently living there. He asked the one he trusted if they can help. He gave the person authorization to do the police certificate check on his behalf. First he had to talk with a lawyer in his country where he lives to develop the document for authorization, then send those papers over to the friend in Spain. The friend in Spain did everything else and got the proper stamps for the document to be valid in Canada. The friend sent the papers to my husband and he of course had to translate them to English. Very lengthy process, not sure if it could have been easier. I would suggest contacting a lawyer there to do it because not everyone has contacts there. FYI the first attempt with mailing the completed document on our own didn't work as the document went to the building but not the actually office, and I guess they are too lazy there to open and sort mail. I don't know.

Marseluhu

Jan 13, 2021
Hi,
Thank you so much for contacting me and giving me all this information, I appreciate it!
That's so strange, I talked to lawyer yesterday and she told me, noone can represent me, Spain doesn't approve any authorization outside of country. My sister lives in Spain, it would be really easy for me, but that's what the lawyer said. But now recording what you are saying, I think, to find new one.
Thank you again

Canelita647

Star Member
Feb 10, 2021
Maybe just fill everything out on the form and send the appropriate documents and everything to your sister, and maybe she can submit to the office and pick it up? But to be safe maybe get a form to say she is representing you?

nubeado

May 21, 2021
You have 2 possibilities or you send a letter or you do it though the embasy/consulate...
Maybe just fill everything out on the form and send the appropriate documents and everything to your sister, and maybe she can submit to the office and pick it up? But to be safe maybe get a form to say she is representing you?
To be legal has to be a notary or the simplest way go to the embassy so they can stamp it, same for the passport...

• Original o fotocopia compulsada del documento que acredite la representación por cualquier medio válido en derecho mediante:
    • Documento público autorizado por notario, o
    • Documento privado con firmas legitimadas por notario, o
    • Documento privado, otorgado en comparecencia personal del interesado ante empleado público, que hará constar esta circunstancia mediante diligencia.

Canelita647

Star Member
Feb 10, 2021
You have 2 possibilities or you send a letter or you do it though the embasy/consulate...

To be legal has to be a notary or the simplest way go to the embassy so they can stamp it, same for the passport...

• Original o fotocopia compulsada del documento que acredite la representación por cualquier medio válido en derecho mediante:
    • Documento público autorizado por notario, o
    • Documento privado con firmas legitimadas por notario, o
    • Documento privado, otorgado en comparecencia personal del interesado ante empleado público, que hará constar esta circunstancia mediante diligencia.
The embassy does nothing to help at all. Of course you have to get the proper documents and get them notarized but the main problem is having it get to the office and back to the people which seems to be a struggle or a challenge. My husband and I did it through mail and it didn't work, so we went the representative route which totally worked! I think the immigration website should change the instructions for obtaining the police certificate from Spain because it's incorrect and it doesn't work that way that they posted. You literally have to bust your own brain to figure it out.

Canelita647

Star Member
Feb 10, 2021
Obtaining the police certificate from Spain abroad is the challenge. But yes it can be done with cooperation, time and money.

nubeado

May 21, 2021
The embassy does nothing to help at all. Of course you have to get the proper documents and get them notarized but the main problem is having it get to the office and back to the people which seems to be a struggle or a challenge. My husband and I did it through mail and it didn't work, so we went the representative route which totally worked! I think the immigration website should change the instructions for obtaining the police certificate from Spain because it's incorrect and it doesn't work that way that they posted. You literally have to bust your own brain to figure it out.
Well not sure, about money,,, legalize (compulsa) is 5 dollars... I doubt will be more than 20 dollars the whole thing. The consulates usually dont help, I agree...