+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help me

Nitma

Mar 4, 2010
Hi All,

We are planning to rent a car here in Toronto on weekends until we buy a car of our own, Can anyone please let me know any kind of Insurance which is the best and how to obtain it?
I heard in some forums that there is some kind of Non owner insurance for vehicles which we are taking for rent...does anyone have any idea on this?is it good?
What is the best/cheap insurance that we can have(being that we are first time drivers here and dont have any exp before).

Thanks in advance.

Nitma

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will be offered insurance by the rental company - in most cases, you want all the cover you can get (AT A GOOD PRICE) Well you certainly do if you have little driving experience in Canada.

I normally take the CDW - collision damage waiver on short term rentals.

Be aware that if you decline optional insurance, the rental company may require a substantial deposit. They do this by putting a "hold" on your credit card.
The deposit could be a few thousand dollars; it could be as much as the value of the car.
Unless your card has a high credit limit, that could cause problems on the rest of your trip.

It is also possible that your credit card allows car rental cover, contact your credit card company for exact details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_waiver

Nitma

Mar 4, 2010
Yeah true..........
i have been paying the insurance to the rental company where i am renting the car for $20 per day.....is there any other option for cheap?????

Also let me know some details regarding the non-owner liability insurance?does it cover loss & full damage waiver?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you consider that a new driver in Canada can be paying $2500 (or more) for car insurance, then $20 a day is not too bad.
I looked at other companies to provide insurance, but the costs are about the same.
Some Canadian car drivers are OK at driving, a reliable source (my wife) informs me that you should always be wary of cars with quebec plates, they are the worst drivers :)

The quebec registration plates have "Je me souviens" printed on them, it means "I remember"; and Quebecers do remember, but the thing they remember is not how to drive.

BTW my wife was born in Quebec.

Malik33

Apr 4, 2011
If you have a gold or platinum credit card you dont really need insurance on rental cars, and when comes to insurance companies belair direct has the best deals