Paris
Nomination.....
21 Dec 2016
AOR Received.
04-02-2017
Passport Req..
06-10-2017
Dear freinds,

We are doing a soft landing in December and staying in Toronto for only 3 months(Dec, Jan, Feb) to get our PR Card and after that we come back home in March. I wonder if I can send my daughter to school during that 3-month period. Please advise me on that.

Thanks indeed,
Sarah

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Dear freinds,

We are doing a soft landing in December and staying in Toronto for only 3 months(Dec, Jan, Feb) to get our PR Card and after that we come back home in March. I wonder if I can send my daughter to school during that 3-month period. Please advise me on that.

Thanks indeed,
Sarah
I don't know for sure about Toronto, but we're right over in the Halton region and we were able to register our child for kindergarten no problem, even though we currently only have "visitor" status (our PR is almost done). We talked to the school district's "Welcome Centre" that handles all international student issues, and they were super helpful. We had to pay a fee to register, but that's pretty reasonable considering we're using public school and didn't start paying income taxes here yet.

lawrence2017

Nov 17, 2017
I don't know for sure about Toronto, but we're right over in the Halton region and we were able to register our child for kindergarten no problem, even though we currently only have "visitor" status (our PR is almost done). We talked to the school district's "Welcome Centre" that handles all international student issues, and they were super helpful. We had to pay a fee to register, but that's pretty reasonable considering we're using public school and didn't start paying income taxes here yet.
Hi, you meant your child can attend public school only to pay international fees? As I am a PR and planning to go back to Toronto for good, but my kid aged 10 has not got PR status, I wonder if my kid can come with me and I heard that my kid needs to pay international fee around CAD15,000 a year to go to public school. Is that correct?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, you meant your child can attend public school only to pay international fees? As I am a PR and planning to go back to Toronto for good, but my kid aged 10 has not got PR status, I wonder if my kid can come with me and I heard that my kid needs to pay international fee around CAD15,000 a year to go to public school. Is that correct?
If you can show you have sponsored your child for PR and your PR status is valid, the school should allow your child to attend tuition free. You'll be fine as long as you meet the residency requirement for PR. If you don't meet the residency requirement for PR and/or your PR card has expired - then you'll likely have a problem on your hands.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Based o your other comment seems like you do have an expired PR so yes you will need to pay international fees for your son. If you haven't met the RO you will also have to wait 2 years to apply for your son's PR.

lawrence2017

Nov 17, 2017
Based o your other comment seems like you do have an expired PR so yes you will need to pay international fees for your son. If you haven't met the RO you will also have to wait 2 years to apply for your son's PR.
Yes, I have not met the 2 yr RO. If my kid is applying for international student visa, the authority will find out that I am a PR with expired PR card staying in Canada?

International student should send application to individual school or to the district board that I am going to stay? Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, I have not met the 2 yr RO. If my kid is applying for international student visa, the authority will find out that I am a PR with expired PR card staying in Canada?

International student should send application to individual school or to the district board that I am going to stay? Thanks.
In that case your child will need to get a study permit and pay international student fees. I don't believe the study permit should trigger an investigation of your PR status - but don't know for certain.

I would write to the district board and obtain admission from them - then apply for the study permit.

R

rish888

@scylla

Just wondering, how would school work in cases where the minor is a PR (as well as the parents for that matter), but none are in residency obligation compliance. Is school free?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla

Just wondering, how would school work in cases where the minor is a PR (as well as the parents for that matter), but none are in residency obligation compliance. Is school free?
Depends. If the parents have a valid PR card, there's a chance a school might accept the student for free. Some schools will not only ask for a valid PR card from the parents but also proof that a PR application has been submitted to sponsor the child (which will obviously be a problem if the parents don't meet RO).

If the parents don't meet RO and also don't have valid PR cards - most likely outcome is that the child will have to pay international student tuition to attend school.