Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August
Hi All.

After 4.5 years on a work permit I have decided to stay in Canada for few more years (Due to some very pressing personal issues I never thought about it until June this year).
I applied for CES evaluation now given I had the transcripts from earlier and I doubt if I'll get my evaluation before mid October as they Recieved my transcripts today.

Now this leaves me in a position that I won't be applying for a PR before November and then not sure how long it takes to get invitation (can someone advise?).
Around Feb next year my work permit expires (will be 5 contimious year then) and I have been told that it cannot be renewed after 5th year by CIC. This means that I will have to go back toy country despite my company willing to offer a role.

I Know it is too last moment but I need some real help and advise on how should I proceed and what are my options. Also, if anyone can tell me the role that work permit doesn't gets renewed after 5 continuous year is true.

Thanks so much in advance.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
The five year rule is true. It’s 7 years for senior executives and five years for most other roles.

There are exceptions (NAFTA professional) but you’d know if those applied to you.

What’s your CRS score? If you have more than 460 points you have a good chance of getting invited almost as soon as you apply.

mudjawd

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August
I have yet to apply as I am awaiting my ECA (as per CES timelines, mid October is reasonable). As per the calculation on the site it some around 470 with my details. Is there any way to apply some synergies so that I can apply as soon as I get my ECA to have the PR process started. Can I apply for an opes work permit as soon as I get an invitation or only after they accept my application and supporting documents.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Have you taken the IELTS already? That's the other prerequisite before you can open your profile.

I recommend you read up on the Express Entry process. Your comment about "synergies" indicates that you aren't aware of how it works.

Briefly - you need to have an ECA and an IELTS score to create a profile and enter the pool. Based on your experience you should easily qualify under the Canadian Experience Class, so entering the pool shouldn't be a problem.

Once you're in the pool, you have to wait for an ITA. If your score is 470+ you should get invited in the very next draw, and then you have 60 days to submit the rest of your documents.

You cannot apply for a work permit before you have submitted the final application.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi All.

After 4.5 years on a work permit I have decided to stay in Canada for few more years (Due to some very pressing personal issues I never thought about it until June this year).
I applied for CES evaluation now given I had the transcripts from earlier and I doubt if I'll get my evaluation before mid October as they Recieved my transcripts today.

Note that if you expect to apply under the CEC class, the ECA is OPTIONAL, not mandatory. It does give you extra points, but given how long you´ve worked in Canada, you may have enough points without it. What IS mandatory is the English exam (IELTS or CELPIP), so as soon as you get your scores for your English exam, you will be able to submit your profile.

Now this leaves me in a position that I won't be applying for a PR before November and then not sure how long it takes to get invitation (can someone advise?).

Normal pattern is, the ITAs are issued twice a month. So if you have a high enough CRS score, the most you´ll be waiting is abt 2 weeks.

Around Feb next year my work permit expires (will be 5 contimious year then) and I have been told that it cannot be renewed after 5th year by CIC. This means that I will have to go back toy country despite my company willing to offer a role.

After you get an ITA and submit a PR application, and receive your receipt (usually within 24 hours), you can apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP), as long as you are within 4 months of your current permit expiring. BOWPs are exempt from any time limit that may apply to your situation.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

Also, if anyone can tell me the role that work permit doesn't gets renewed after 5 continuous year is true.

It is true if you are here through an intra-company transfer (ITC) as a specialized knowledge worker. Not true for general TFWs.

mudjawd

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August
Thanks all for your response. I was under impression ha even if someone applies under CEC they still need to have the ECA done. If that is not the case then can someone please guide me to a link that says ECA is not required for poeple applying under CEC. It will really help me as I can go ahead and give IELTS.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html#education

Education
There is no education requirement for the Canadian Experience Class.

But, if you want to improve your rank in the Express Entry pool, there are 2 ways you can do this.

• If you went to school in Canada, you can get points for a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
    • secondary (high school) or
    • post-secondary school
    OR

• If you have foreign education, you can get points for:
    • a completed foreign credential, and
    • an Educational Credential Assessment report from an approved agency showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
      • secondary (high school) or
      • post-secondary school

Reactions: jes_ON

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks all for your response. I was under impression ha even if someone applies under CEC they still need to have the ECA done. If that is not the case then can someone please guide me to a link that says ECA is not required for poeple applying under CEC. It will really help me as I can go ahead and give IELTS.
Ah, well, IRCC typically says who does need something, as opposed to who doesn´t. For example, here it states that the PA for FSW needs the ECA:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed/who.html

The point is, you can submit your profile without waiting for the ECA (since it is not required). Since you´ve already applied for the ECA, when you get your results, you can add the info and increase your score (if needed). However, you cannot submit your profile without your language test scores, as those are mandatory.

mudjawd

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August
Thanks all. You all are very helpful and knowledgeable and your prompt response are so helpful for someone like me in this situation. I think now that why didn't I keep using this forum more often.

I am a masters degree holder in computer science. In the CRS tool if I select the option of the highest level of degree/diploma as 'none' then my score drops to a very very low benchmark..... Like 307 which I know will never let me qualify as the latest scores are going around 460. Am I looking at it the right way ?

However, if I select master then it goes up to 480.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yeah, with a master's you get 135/126 points (single/married) so you should absolutely get an ECA done. 480 is easily enough to get invited.