+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help me! Few questions

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Canadians doesn't necessarily rate their schools in the basis of their admittance rates but they do on the basis of their programs they offer. Same programs of different colleges have different courses and are taught differently and are capable of providing different skills. So program selection shouldnt be on the basis of college name provided the colleges are on the DLI list and are reputed locally.
Often post secondary diplomas are highly specialized into a certain area and are industry based. It doesn't matter you're a bachelor's grad or masters grad, you can take them to acquire the specific skills set that has been offered by the diploma program.
Source ? What's your profile and timeline ?

There's no rule by which VO can reject your application based on the fact that you took a post sec diploma after graduation. You just have to write the reason why you took that program in your SOP. It's just bad SOP or bad profiles that leading to rejections.
Under subsection 216(1) of the IRPR , the proposed course must yield prospects through progression. You should go through each rule in the rule book.

Centennial offers many advance diplomas in the fast track format
Wrong. Search for old threads in this forum lots of students have been refused going for these agent fetched courses.

Last edited:

life2525

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Hi, I've recently graduated in 2020 November with a 3 years bachelors degree and have interest studying in Canada. I've applied for a PG Diploma in Conestoga College. I know I have a lot of questions but it would be GREATLY appreciated if somebody could clear my questions as I'm a bit worried.

Here's my profile:

10th: 77%
12th: 59%
Under graduation: 58% (3 year degree course completed in 4 years. Had some problem in first year and was absent for exams causing this year down. Have no backlogs after that and even completed my last year with around 75%)
Backlogs: 10
IELTS: 8 bands - none less than 7.5

Here are the questions I have:

1. Do I have chances of being accepted to Conestoga for May intake? I applied around 25 days ago and have no reply as of today.
2. If I get an offer letter, will I face problems in my visa application due to my 10 backlogs and the year down (completed 3 year course in 4 years)?
3. I also will not be able to get my final degree certificate as it takes 6 months for it to be delivered, will that be a problem? I have all my mark - sheets, and also recently got a 'Provisional Passing Certificate' from my college. Did you guys submit your final degree certificate when applying for the visa?
4. Do I attach my backlog summary and the mark sheet with the backlogs when applying for the visa?

Thank you, I hope that somebody can help me as I'm losing motivation due to my not so great performance in my under-grad.

Can I please get anyone else' opinion on this? Thank you!

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
@Art3mis

Why are you going for an undergraduate diploma if your bachelor's profile is good ? Hope you will let me know know how it works out for you. We are talking about how to avoid an refusal here not about colleges/universities/DLIs . However, the grade of a DLI does matter based on the visa officer's operational bulletin of factors.

Last edited:

arhue

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Okay, I shall apply for September then. May doesn't seem like its worth the risk. My counsellor doesn't seem to be bothered and didn't give me a clear cut answer.

Last question, if a visa gets rejected, would I have to wait another 32 weeks for the 2nd visa attempt?
Just to let you know, I applied in August, did biometrics/medical in mid November and got OPR immediately after hospital submitted results by end of Nov. Applying for May seems reasonable but you need to hurry. You can always defer to Sept if you haven't got a decision.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Just to let you know, I applied in August, did biometrics/medical in mid November and got OPR immediately after hospital submitted results by end of Nov. Applying for May seems reasonable but you need to hurry. You can always defer to Sept if you haven't got a decision.
One off cases can't be slashed against the majority's trend.

Art3mis

Dec 25, 2019
Category........
STUDY
You can check the DLIs international programs and see how many of them are diploma programs and graduate certificates. Check NAIT, all of their 2 year diploma programs are post secondary programs. You can go through each programs courses, you'll find how specialized they are. Most of the Indian students enrolled in these programs have either bachelor's or masters degree. I did contact many of them.

In order to get into Certain work force like power engineering and trades you'd have to go through the diploma programs that having just post secondary grades as entry requirements.

I've talked to many international students having bachelor's degree who studied, are studying post secondary diploma programs. I can show their LinkedIn profiles if you can share your email address. See I'm not making all of this from my head.

Under subsection 216(1) of the IRPR , the proposed course must yield prospects through progression. You should go through each rule in the rule book.
Please refer this rules :

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/section-216.html

There seems to have an ambiguity in these matters among the people. The program you take shouldnt be just a basics that you've already studied in your degree. If the program is in line with your educational background and/or experience & you can justify your side properly then I believe you should be okay.

Wrong. Search for old threads in this forum lots of students have been refused going for these agent fetched courses.
That's great actually, when students research about their programs rather than blindly following what their agent has told them do.

Yet there are plenty of them. You can search for this programs in LinkedIn and see the students who enrolled in these programs in each year. I've talked to them as well.

I'm not trying to create an argument here. But the way you started your address was poorly done, immediately or outrightly stating that "[what I conveyed] is wrong " and also showcasing that "[ your statements] as [facts] " - nothing constructive there. Cheers

Art3mis

Dec 25, 2019
Category........
STUDY
@Art3mis

Why are you going for an undergraduate diploma if your bachelor's profile is good ? Hope you will let me know know how it works out for you.
As I said earlier certain diploma programs are highly specialized and industry based that produces work-ready talent in technology, manufacturing, the skilled trades and more. And these are unique programs that you'll never find under graduate credentials. If you are career oriented and looking to get into a rewarding skilled careers you'd have to have knowledge about what programs you are applying for.

For example, Power engineering technology diploma prepares you to become a certified skilled power engineering technologist, one of the essential skilled workers sector. This is a post secondary diploma, you'd need to undergo through this program to be able to get the essential knowledge needed to work in the industry.

No prior experience or degrees needed in order to become successful in these kind of programs and for that reason these are highly industrialized and designed to prepare students for the tech industry.

We are talking about how to avoid an refusal here not about colleges/universities/DLIs .
I believe it's you started talking about this when I was telling him about the possible option he have.

However, the grade of a DLI does matter based on the visa officer's operational bulletin of factors.
I didn't talk about lowest regarded colleges anywhere instead asked him to do a proper research rather than finding a college and then the program. Hope you and i are on the same page regarding this.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
You can check the DLIs international programs and see how many of them are diploma programs and graduate certificates. Check NAIT, all of their 2 year diploma programs are post secondary programs. You can go through each programs courses, you'll find how specialized they are. Most of the Indian students enrolled in these programs have either bachelor's or masters degree. I did contact many of them.

In order to get into Certain work force like power engineering and trades you'd have to go through the diploma programs that having just post secondary grades as entry requirements.

I've talked to many international students having bachelor's degree who studied, are studying post secondary diploma programs. I can show their LinkedIn profiles if you can share your email address. See I'm not making all of this from my head.

Please refer this rules :

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/section-216.html

There seems to have an ambiguity in these matters among the people. The program you take shouldnt be just a basics that you've already studied in your degree. If the program is in line with your educational background and/or experience & you can justify your side properly then I believe you should be okay.

That's great actually, when students research about their programs rather than blindly following what their agent has told them do.

Yet there are plenty of them. You can search for this programs in LinkedIn and see the students who enrolled in these programs in each year. I've talked to them as well.

I'm not trying to create an argument here. But the way you started your address was poorly done, immediately or outrightly stating that "[what I conveyed] is wrong " and also showcasing that "[ your statements] as [facts] " - nothing constructive there. Cheers
As I said earlier certain diploma programs are highly specialized and industry based that produces work-ready talent in technology, manufacturing, the skilled trades and more. And these are unique programs that you'll never find under graduate credentials. If you are career oriented and looking to get into a rewarding skilled careers you'd have to have knowledge about what programs you are applying for.

For example, Power engineering technology diploma prepares you to become a certified skilled power engineering technologist, one of the essential skilled workers sector. This is a post secondary diploma, you'd need to undergo through this program to be able to get the essential knowledge needed to work in the industry.

No prior experience or degrees needed in order to become successful in these kind of programs and for that reason these are highly industrialized and designed to prepare students for the tech industry.

I believe it's you started talking about this when I was telling him about the possible option he have.

I didn't talk about lowest regarded colleges anywhere instead asked him to do a proper research rather than finding a college and then the program. Hope you and i are on the same page regarding this.
Nothing's left to cheer, doesn't follow logic. Would help if you share your profile and timeline since only the ones with poor academics would go for such courses. S1 is designed for students with good grades.

Posts usually from approved ones are more agreeable rather than the opposite who just submitted their application.

You are welcome to share your views though.

Last edited:
Reactions: karanpreetsingh25

Art3mis

Dec 25, 2019
Category........
STUDY
Nothing's left to cheer, none of what you said makes any sense or logic. Would help if you share your profile and timeline since only the ones with poor academics would go for such courses. S1 is designed for students with good grades.

Posts from approved ones are more agreeable rather than the opposite who just submitted their application.

You are welcome to share your views though.

Alright. Nothing ever will make sense to you If you don't want to believe anything except your view points. I just started engaging to this forum and that doesn't mean people like me have no logical view points. This is opposite of what is called constructive criticism. Again you're not even trying to see the points instead just making the old-fashioned you're-a-noob technique.

karanpreetsingh25

Sep 29, 2018
@Art3mis TBH, you either have half knowledge, or maybe you are confused. You are supposed to check the requirement section of a program, if it mentions a bachlors degree it means it is a PG Program (no matter Certificate or Diploma), if it mentions Grade 12 or Senior Secondory it means a UG Program.

If a student holding a bachlors degree goes for a UG program, which requires Grade 12 or senior secondary qualification, this will lead to a straight rejection, and prima facie ring bells for malice intention on account of the PA. As a sound person will never study a lower credential program when he already holds a bachlors!!

Reactions: Ironclad

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Alright. Nothing ever will make sense to you If you don't want to believe anything except your view points. I just started engaging to this forum and that doesn't mean people like me have no logical view points. This is opposite of what is called constructive criticism. Again you're not even trying to see the points instead just making the old-fashioned you're-a-noob technique.
I understand the point that you are trying to make. Colleges claim to provide 'specialized courses' that may make you feel you are getting the best certification for the job you are looking for but in reality, etting the job is different. Yes, university programs are more generic but it is also true that most intelligent students attend university. Employers especially for entry-level jobs are willing to hire students who do not have specific technical skills but rather show great academic and critical analysis focus that can learn on the job.

Reactions: Ironclad

nadrah

Apr 10, 2021
@Art3mis TBH, you either have half knowledge, or maybe you are confused. You are supposed to check the requirement section of a program, if it mentions a bachlors degree it means it is a PG Program (no matter Certificate or Diploma), if it mentions Grade 12 or Senior Secondory it means a UG Program.

If a student holding a bachlors degree goes for a UG program, which requires Grade 12 or senior secondary qualification, this will lead to a straight rejection, and prima facie ring bells for malice intention on account of the PA. As a sound person will never study a lower credential program when he already holds a bachlors!!
I know some one above 30and have Bsc Oil Eng and apply to UG diploma at NAIT and apply to visa and got it from Libya the person