+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

please help me do the Sponsored Spouse/partner questionnaire (Form IMM 5490)

tommyn79

Star Member
Jan 28, 2013
Hi can anyone please answer my question.

I am sponsoring my wife to Canada, and she doesn't know English at all. Can I help her fill out the forms 5490 or she needs to get another interpreter which is not a family member? The reason why I came up with this question is because on the last page of the form 5490, the interpreter must sign at the bottom of the page. So If I am allowed to help her, then I must sign there right.. thanks..

This was written on the CIC's Guide 3900 - Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada

------------------------------------------------
Translation of documents
Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the original document.
Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.

Important information. Translations by family members are not acceptable.
------------------------------------------------
So, I guess, this part applies to the Police certificates that my wife must have from her local police station. .. if you have any clue please help me out.. Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re-read the `important information' at the bottom that states family members (which would include you, I would think) are ineligible to provide translation.

tommyn79

Star Member
Jan 28, 2013
I just called them.. .. and this is what they told me..

I can instruct my wife to write everything in her own hand writing .. and I can sign the last parts of the form 5490 for the interpreter declaration.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry but I'm confused...She can write English but cannot read or speak English?

So much for the `Translations by family members are not accepted' statement that you show from guide 3900.

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
Ponga said:
So much for the `Translations by family members are not accepted' statement that you show from guide 3900.
I believe this part applies to translation of documents like: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, etc. For an interpretation, I think the sponsor can definitely do it. Translation and interpretation are similar, but not quite identical.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Avadava said:
I believe this part applies to translation of documents like: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, etc. For an interpretation, I think the sponsor can definitely do it. Translation and interpretation are similar, but not quite the same.
Excellent! This is certainly good news for the OP!!!

mac_0n3

Oct 21, 2011
hi just to help you out. I was in a similar situation when filling out those forms. My wife doesnt speak, write or understand english to the ability needed to fill out those documents. I translated for her verbally , she responded and then i rewrote what she said in out native tongue to English. This is perfectly acceptable , don't sign the translator part , leave it blank.

my wife has just been asked to send in her passport so it all went well :)

GL to you .

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I would also just assist your wife and not sign the translator's part. It may not be strictly what CIC wants, but for a straightforward case should be OK.

However, do make sure she understands and remembers what she 'wrote'. The visa officers do not like it if they question the applicant about something in the forms, the applicant responds with some different answer, and then the explanation is 'I just signed it, I did not know what it said.'

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
canadianwoman said:
I would also just assist your wife and not sign the translator's part. It may not be strictly what CIC wants, but for a straightforward case should be OK.

However, do make sure she understands and remembers what she 'wrote'. The visa officers do not like it if they question the applicant about something in the forms, the applicant responds with some different answer, and then the explanation is 'I just signed it, I did not know what it said.'

Photocopy every thing you send in , then if any thing gets lost you have the information , also if they ask a question you and your wife will have it on paper .