+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help me decide if it is worth it to work in Toronto as a Nurse.

Marko

Jun 28, 2012
Hi! I'm Marko currently working in Abu dhabi, UAE as a RN in Med Surg for almost 8 months now with 3 years experience in Philippines. I'm thinking whether to pursue my Canadian Dream or to just settle here in Middle East country.. My situation right now is not that bad at all. I have free accommodation, food and transportation. The fixed salary I'm getting every month is around 2k$ because were not allowed to do overtime work. Considering this is a tax-free country but the health benefits is not competitive and permanent residence is not given here. I want to work in Canada but I was thinking also about the tax and expenses I will have when I get there. Right now, I'm completing my requirements for Foreign Contract Worker in Toronto, Canada, with the help of Joinallied agency but I am not yet fully decided to submit it. I already took my IELTS with 6.5 band score, 7 in Speaking.

Here are my concerns:
-Can I earn more money in Toronto, Canada as a RN with all the tax and expenses there compared here in UAE?
-Is the cost of living in Toronto really expensive?
-Did you heard about Joinallied agency before? Is It legitimate?
-Is it easy to adapt to there culture?

Looking forward for your feedbacks. Hope you can help me! Thanks a lot! :D

monsieur

Feb 7, 2012
Hi Marko,

I am still researching about this agency. We want to make sure that it's legitimate. I am presently working here in KSA and wish to work in Canada. Inshallah..

Pls.update us.

Thank you.

mytammy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2011
Hi marko, before you proceed your application have you tried to have your credentials assessed by the CNO? Coz it takes quite some time before you can have the results and wether or not you can take the RN exam in Toronto. It's not all going to Toronto and taking the RN exam whenever you feel like it. Coz my friend was also a nurse in the Philippines and she is in Toronto now and it's been 2 years since she applied to the CNO but until now she doesn't know if she is qualified to take the RN exam or if she has to go back to school.

About the savings, do you mean ALL of the $2k is yours to take home? No deductions whatsoever? Wow good for you coz you can't save that much in Toronto without having 2 jobs hehehe. Anyways good luck in your application.

Marko

Jun 28, 2012
Thanks for the replies... Still hoping that this agency is legit..hehe
Really you can't earn it from working as a full-time RN in Toronto? ouch! I heard nurses their earns 24- 35CAD$ per hour...

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Marko I THINK mytammy meant you wouldn't be able to SAVE $2000 out of your salary, but I could be wrong.
Check out some of the collective agreements and you will find most of the answers you are looking for, I expect. https://www.bcnu.org/ContractAdministration/Provincial_Collective_Agreement.pdf

docmar

Jul 10, 2012
CNO website : cno.org/en/
Click I'm an applicant > internationally educated nurse > request an application package
you don't have to resign from your work, because these processes will take at least 6 months to finish, depending on your documents, and needs certain amount of hours (something like 5 years continuous) experience as a nurse.
piece of advice: don't get an agency or representative/consultant, just do it yourself and follow the instructions given by the CNO

mytammy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2011
I think EARN and SAVE are two different words with different meanings. You can earn as much as $6k but the question is how much of it can you save?

Yup first things first. Have your credentials evaluated by the CNO and from there you can take your next step. Don't quit your job right now.