+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLEASE HELP: International Student (final year) - applying for PR

murf

Feb 23, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I am an international undergrad student studying at a Canadian University. I am studying a bachelor degree (4 year program + 1 year coop) and have already completed 3 years of study out of it. My current standing is "4th-year undergraduate student". For the past 3 years, I have been continuously working as a TA and RA at my current university. Along with it, I have a 1-year experience (as a coop) in between.

I know we cannot count coop experience as work experience. And I also know that we cannot count any work experience that we gained while being a full-time student when applying through CEC.

But according to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=29 , I think I am still eligible for applying to EE via Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP).

When I filled the EE application, soon after submitting it I got the application update saying - Your Express Entry profile has been reviewed and we have determined that you are not eligible for Express Entry at this time.

After checking the FSWP, I thought I got an at least 67/100 cut-off. It will really help me alot if someone can help me out where I made the mistake. Following are my details that I submitted while filling the EE application.

Personal details:

1. Age: 22 yrs
  2. Marital Status: Single
  3. How many family members do I have?: 1 (that's just me)
  4. How much money (in Canadian dollars) will I bring to Canada to support themselves and their family?: 24000
  5. Do I have a relative who is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada?: No

Education:
  1. Have I finished high school or any higher education (including university, college or vocational training)? Yes (I am confused here, I am in my final year of bachelor degree. I thought I should write yes)
  2. This is my current study: Yes
  3. Complete/full academic years: 3
  4. Full-time/part-time study: Full time
  5. Standing at the end of study period: In good standing but no certificate or diploma or degree awarded (Okay so in all of my years before, I was always in 'Good Standing'. I don't have any specific certificate which says that but it is printed in my transcript. Can I consider transcript as a certificate? I don't know.)
  6. Level of Education: Bachelor's degree
  7. Was I awarded a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate for this period of study? No (So, this is the most confusing question. I get it I haven't graduated so the answer should be no. But at the same time, I have a 'Certificate of Enrollment' as well 'Verification of Student Status Document' which states that I have completed 3 years of my full-time study and is currently enrolled as a 4-year student. What do you guys think I should write?)
  8. Have I had an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) within the past five years for this degree, diploma or certificate?: No

Official Language:
  1. Can I communicate in English and/or French?: English
  2. Language test taken: IELTS
  3. Language test version: IELTS General Training
  4. Date of language test: 29th September 2018
  5. Speaking: 8.0
  6. Listening: 8.5
  7. Reading: 7.5
  8. Writing: 6.5
  9. Have I taken an approved language test to assess their French skills?: No

Application details:
  1. Provinces and territories of interest: Ontario
  2. Have I received a nomination certificate from a province or territory?: No

Work History:

1. Primary occupation (NOC): 4012 post-secondary teaching and research assistants
  2. Date I first became qualified to practice in this occupation: Sept 2015 (I wrote the date when I entered the university based on my study-permit.)
  3. Do I have a certificate of qualification from a Canadian province or territory?: No
  4. Do I have a job offer in Canada?: No
  5. Do I have any work history?: Yes (I also added the work-experience that I gained as a coop just in case)

Position 1: Teaching and Research Assistant
  1. Since what year?: Sept 2016
  2. Is this your current job?: Yes
  3. Hours per week?: 12.08 ( I wrote 12.08 as an average as I worked for 1570hrs. 1570 / (52 + 52 + 26 = 130) i.e. 2 years and 6 months )
  4. NOC?: 4012 post-secondary teaching and research assistants
  5. Working legally in Canada during this time?: Yes
  6. Studying full-time while doing this job? A person must be in class at least 15 hours per week during the academic year to be considered full-time. This includes any period of training in the workplace that is part of the study program: Yes
  7. Which of these categories does my job fall under?: No work permit required

Position 2: Software Engineer Intern ( I am adding this as my work-history. I know it won't be considered as work experience under FSWP as it is my coop)
  1. Since what year?: May 2018
  2. Is this your current job?: Yes
  3. Hours per week?: 40
  4. NOC?: 2173 Software engineers and designers
  5. Working legally in Canada during this time?: Yes
  6. Studying full-time while doing this job? A person must be in class at least 15 hours per week during the academic year to be considered full-time. This includes any period of training in the workplace that is part of the study program: Yes (as it is a part of my coop which in return is a part of my study program)
  7. Which of these categories does my job fall under?: Work permit required, No LMIA required

Last edited:

Onagiro

Jan 22, 2019
You have to complete 1 year of work experience after you finish your studies. No work done during full time education counts.

Reactions: scylla

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019
that's what I thought. Did you find any mistake in my application? It's really messing me up as I cannot figure out where I went wrong. :(
You could have gotten Associate degree or something. I think that's the problem, exactly where it is, I don't know, too cumbersome sorry.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Education:
  1. Have I finished high school or any higher education (including university, college or vocational training)? Yes (I am confused here, I am in my final year of bachelor degree. I thought I should write yes)
  2. This is my current study: Yes
  3. Complete/full academic years: 3
  4. Full-time/part-time study: Full time
  5. Standing at the end of study period: In good standing but no certificate or diploma or degree awarded (Okay so in all of my years before, I was always in 'Good Standing'. I don't have any specific certificate which says that but it is printed in my transcript. Can I consider transcript as a certificate? I don't know.)
  6. Level of Education: Bachelor's degree
  7. Was I awarded a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate for this period of study? No (So, this is the most confusing question. I get it I haven't graduated so the answer should be no. But at the same time, I have a 'Certificate of Enrollment' as well 'Verification of Student Status Document' which states that I have completed 3 years of my full-time study and is currently enrolled as a 4-year student. What do you guys think I should write?)
  8. Have I had an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) within the past five years for this degree, diploma or certificate?: No
Your level of education is not Bachelor's degree. It is the highest level that you have actually completed, so probably high school.

Reactions: sumylili