+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help! From SPAIN to CANADA...

analynn

Nov 18, 2009
Hi,

I was born in Toronto and my boyfriend is from Spain. We have been together for more than two years. Last year I lived in Spain and shared an apartment, bills, rent, utilities and food with him and this year we are living in another city in Spain. I am wondering if we should do the process to get a Permanent Residency from within Spain or wait until we go back to Toronto (our intention is summer 2010) and then apply once we are living together in my parents house in Toronto. It is definitely an overwhelming process so I just would like some advice, suggestions or comments about how this can be made easier for us.

I know that being from Spain, one does not need to obtain a visa to visit and within 6 months he then can perhaps extend his visit in order to apply for Permanent residency. (More info on this...inland and applying is appreciated as well since the websites are complicated!)

Thanks so much for your help!!

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
being together in Spain you can apply through Paris office that deals with applicants from Spain. Their timelenes are from 5 to 10 months. So if you apply now it's quite possible that you can get PR status by summer time. Inland application can take up to 2 years to have it finalized.

The Littlest Hobo

Star Member
Nov 13, 2009
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2009
File Transfer...
7-12-2009
Passport Req..
18-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
3-02-2010
LANDED..........
20-03-2010
Hi Analynn,
I agree, start now since it can take months just to gather all the forms and evidence you need (and common-law seems like you need a ton of documents), and apply outland through Paris. Anyways he has no right to "move" to Canada with you! Even though he has the right to come as a visitor for 6-months or whatever, there is always the risk that if they suspect he intends to settle in Canada they can refuse him entry... may not be a big risk but it is technically possible.

The times for Paris seem fairly short for Europe, at least according to the CIC website - for the REAL timelines trackitt.com seems to be the best way to know. Definitely as Suin says, applying outland is quicker than doing it when you are living there (inland) although I guess there are people living in Canada but applying outland anyhow, but then while you are waiting, your boyfriend cannot work. The applying outland while in canada approach requires a whole new bag of tricks which I have no experience with, sorry. We're going the outland route.

Good luck!
TLH

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Suin said:
being together in Spain you can apply through Paris office that deals with applicants from Spain. Their timelenes are from 5 to 10 months. So if you apply now it's quite possible that you can get PR status by summer time. Inland application can take up to 2 years to have it finalized.
You should note that the sponsorship and the application with attachments goes to Mississauga, not directly to Paris.

PMM