+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help - Extending my stay as a visitor in Canada

chicadeb

Mar 16, 2011
Hi Folks,

Next week I´ll have been in Toronto for 6 months and therefore need to extend my stay. I have some questions with regards to extending my stay as follows...

1. I sent off my application for Permanent Residency (via common-law partner sponsorship) a little over a month ago. Should I mention this when I apply for my extension?
2. I have a problem showing how I am able to support myself for the extension. In reality, my boyfriend (who is a student with a student loan) is covering both our expenses until I become a permanent resident and am able to work). I suppose I could ask him to print a copy of his bank statement. Would this suffice? My bank statement wouldn´t help my case as it isn´t looking very healthy! Could they refuse me for this reason or would explaining that my boyfriend is covering for us both be sufficient?
3. I´m worried that I may be refused due to not having proof of funds to support myself for the next 6 months. I´ve heard that the paper format extension takes 120 days before they process it. Am I right in thinking that if this is true it would buy me 4 months time before they could refuse me (if they decided to refuse me) as my application would be passing time on the pile waiting to be processed?
4. Does it matter that I haven´t applied 30 days before my 6 months expires? The expiry date is actually 21st March although I didn´t get a stamp in my passport when I arrived so I have no passport stamps to show. Am I okay as long as they receive my application before the 6 months is up?

I hope you can help me with these questions. Any advice/comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
If you are in Canada, call the Cic with your inquiry.

If you applied through common law within canada, and you are not on welfaire i think it should be ok. In the mean time after six months you might be able to apply for work permit. Call them and tell them you do not wish the call to be recorded,.

1. Tell them you already applied for common law before your visitors expired, do you still need to apply for an extention. 96% i think you dont need to apply an extension until a decision is made as regards to your common law application.

let us know how it wnet.

chicadeb

Mar 16, 2011
Sorry, I should have mentioned. I applied from OUTSIDE of Canada as apparently it´s much faster that way. Does this change things?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chicadeb said:
Sorry, I should have mentioned. I applied from OUTSIDE of Canada as apparently it´s much faster that way. Does this change things?
No, not in relation to an extension of stay.

I assume you are in Canada as a visitor?

You do need an extension, you cannot work without a work permit.