+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help, conditional pr and relationship falling apart!

KiaG

Mar 19, 2015
I am in an unfortunate situation where I really have no clue what to do.
I'm a landed permanent resident with the conditional part in it, and my relationship with my sponsor has taken a turn for the worse. To make it short and simple it happened because I have fallen in love head over heels with someone else (canadian citizen), and without making ridiculous and not so smart decisions, I want to make this as "easy" as I can, and can't find a way to make this easy at all.

i know I won't be able to just jump from my sponsor and move in with someone else just like that, but if I end up moving to my home country and he comes and stays for a full year and we decide to go back to Canada, and he will sponsor me, would CIC accept that, since I already was sponsored by someone else and landed as a PR? Or would I be able to stay in canada citing that the relationship broke down? So confused.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Once your current relationship ends, your current spouse/sponsor will most likely report the breakup to CIC. After CIC is made aware of the separation during 2 years of conditional PR, they will investigate you and "may" decide to revoke your PR status. The decision here is really up to CIC. If your current sponsor doesn't report the separation, then there's a good chance CIC will never even find out about it and after 2 years you will just turn into a regular PR.

If CIC does revoke your PR status, then after you get married or become common-law with your new Canadian partner, he can sponsor you for PR all over again. Just note that a separation during conditional PR then jumping into a new relationship and applying for sponsorship again quickly, could raise suspicion of CIC and cause them to scrutinize your new application a bit more.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So sorry to hear this, as it's obviously a very difficult chapter in both of your lives.

It is [generally] the sponsor that contacts CIC to inform them of the relationship breakdown, but...not always. Since the implementation of the `Condition 51' back in Oct 2012 (I believe) it's not very clear how CIC monitors those that have this condition placed on their PR. Some have reported that CIC performs random home inspections, to make sure that the couple is still cohabiting as required for two years after landing. How CIC determines who gets selected, only adds to the mystery.

If you choose to return to your home country and renounce your PR, you can certainly be sponsored again by the new person in your life, after you meet the requirements (common-law or married) and I would imagine that your honesty in renouncing your current PR could only help you in your second application.

Having said that...some people in a similar situation have done nothing and managed to keep under the CIC radar for two years and have been fine. I suppose it comes down to what you feel is right, since your sponsor will still be responsible for you for three years from the day that you landed. Would that be fair to him?

Best of luck to you in this difficult time.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
Essentially, if your relationship breaks down before 2 years and you have conditional PR, then you're not supposed to be able to remain in Canada as a PR since the reason you're here is to be with your spouse.
That being said, if your spouse doesn't inform CIC about the relationship break down, then it is probably more unlikely than likely that CIC will find out and pursue you.

If your new partner were eventually to sponsor you as a fresh PR in Canada, I would assume that your previous sponsorship, fast break down, and immediate new relationship with another Canadian and eventual sponsorship again would be a pretty big red flag for CIC. You would have to show strong proof of relationship and that it is genuine. It's not insurmountable but it would be a red flag.

No one really knows what CIC will do, so this is just an assumption.

KiaG

Mar 19, 2015
Thank you, it feels good being able to ask instead of burying the thoughts, and eventually go crazy thinking about it.

He will most likely report it to CIC, and I do not blame him. There is no way for me to move out even if it gets under the radar? I'm assuming once being investigated, it will be harder even if I moved back home and he came to stay for a full year and sponsored me as a fresh PR.

Chances are he will stay in my country if there aren't much other choices, but we don't know yet.. we just came up with ideas. I know its not fair to my current partner, but I can't see myself living with him any longer, and I so deeply wish I could find a way to make it simple to start my life over with this other person in my life.

He will report it though, I'm almost 100% sure.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tink23 said:
Essentially, if your relationship breaks down before 2 years and you have conditional PR, then you're not supposed to be able to remain in Canada as a PR since the reason you're here is to be with your spouse.
That being said, if your spouse doesn't inform CIC about the relationship break down, then it is probably more unlikely than likely that CIC will find out and pursue you.

If your new partner were eventually to sponsor you as a fresh PR in Canada, I would assume that your previous sponsorship, fast break down, and immediate new relationship with another Canadian and eventual sponsorship again would be a pretty big red flag for CIC. You would have to show strong proof of relationship and that it is genuine. It's not insurmountable but it would be a red flag.

No one really knows what CIC will do, so this is just an assumption.
Agreed, but if she were to voluntarily renounce her PR, it would be less of a red flag, IMHO.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
Ponga said:
Agreed, but if she were to voluntarily renounce her PR, it would be less of a red flag, IMHO.
Excellent point. I agree with that as well.