+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help: certified copy

lewesadam

Aug 5, 2010
Hello, I have read a couple of previous postings regarding certified copies, and I am still getting a bit confused on the following and hope someone would be able to share some light:

Q1. Current CEC guide/document checklist only mentions that documents not in English/French require a certified copy. In my case, the documents are the birth certificate and police certificate.
Therefore, does that mean I can make a regular (non-certified) photocopy for the rest documents that are required, e.g. university degree, T4, notice of assessment, study & work permits, passport pages, etc.

Q2. In the guide where it mentions that:

(i) Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:
* the English or French translation; and
* an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
* a certified copy of the original document.

(ii) To have a copy certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:
* "I certify that this is a true copy of the original document"
* the name of the original document
* the date of the certification
* his or her name
* his or her official position or title
* his or her signature

I would like to confirm about the "certified copy" that:
(1) is it the photocopy of the original non-English/French document (not the English translation)?
(2) can I have the specified statement in (ii) for a certified copy written on a separate page to notarize the photocopy matching the original document? (I ask this because the notary public in my country usually provides this format but they put all sheets together into a booklet.) Does that statement have to written on the photocopy?

Thank you for any help!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
lewesadam said:
Q1. Current CEC guide/document checklist only mentions that documents not in English/French require a certified copy. In my case, the documents are the birth certificate and police certificate.
Therefore, does that mean I can make a regular (non-certified) photocopy for the rest documents that are required, e.g. university degree, T4, notice of assessment, study & work permits, passport pages, etc.

That is how I understand it, yes.

Q2. I would like to confirm about the "certified copy" that:

(1) is it the photocopy of the original non-English/French document (not the English translation)?

Yes, the required certified copy is of the document that needs to be translated.

The originals of the translation and translator's affidavit must be submitted to CIC. For your own records only, however, it might be a good idea to get certified copies of those originals before you send them to CIC.

(2) can I have the specified statement in (ii) for a certified copy written on a separate page to notarize the photocopy matching the original document? (I ask this because the notary public in my country usually provides this format but they put all sheets together into a booklet.) Does that statement have to written on the photocopy?

If you can get the certification on the same page (the photocopy itself) it is better. But each country/jurisdiction has its own way of certifying copies.