+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help | Can someone please let me know if it is mandatory to have Canadian passport to surrender Indian passport?

Souviksen007

Star Member
Jul 31, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi All, As per the above conversation seems we don't need to have the Canadian Passport to surrender the Indian passport.
Can someone share the "letter of explanation" if any required for surrendering the Indian passport without the Canadian passport?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Reactions: Souviksen007

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Hi, I have a question regarding this subject. I applied for the surrender certificate a week ago through postal application and saw the status on BLS tracking that my application is returned due to not including Canadian passport. I included a letter stating that I haven’t applied for Canadian passport yet so I am not able to include it in the application (as per BLS instruction in their website). Anyone else had a similar situation like this?

Apr 19, 2023
@Sammy3 , I am looking to apply for Surrender Certificate as well, without a Canadian Passport (just have the Citizenship certificate with me now). Did you receive the application back because they expected you to submit Canadian Passport with the application? Because I just called BLS Vancouver and they stated I could apply without Canadian Passport and include a letter explaining my passport application is in progress. Very inconsistent and confusing information. Thanks in advance for you response.

footyluv

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
After surrendering, will the cancelled Indian passport be returned back to you? Or will the Indian embassy retain it with them?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
After surrendering, will the cancelled Indian passport be returned back to you? Or will the Indian embassy retain it with them?
Returned back to you and cancelled stamp will be marked page adjacent to the front bio page and the passport will be punched

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
@Sammy3 , I am looking to apply for Surrender Certificate as well, without a Canadian Passport (just have the Citizenship certificate with me now). Did you receive the application back because they expected you to submit Canadian Passport with the application? Because I just called BLS Vancouver and they stated I could apply without Canadian Passport and include a letter explaining my passport application is in progress. Very inconsistent and confusing information. Thanks in advance for you response.
It’s seems BLS has changed the rules (few months ago, that Canadian passport is required for surrendering the Indian citizenship and cancelling the Indian passport

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Sorry for the late reply, they did sent back my application for not having the Canadian passport. I am going to re-apply now.

vipinait

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
Sorry for the late reply, they did sent back my application for not having the Canadian passport. I am going to re-apply now.
Hi, for the postal application for a surrender certificate, do I need to send the original Canadian passport, or would a photocopy of the Canadian passport suffice?

vipinait

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
I am applying for a surrender certificate for myself, my wife, and my son. However, my wife doesn't have a driving license or any utility bill in her name. Additionally, in New Brunswick, there aren't any ID cards that display address details. Currently, the documents I can provide that have our address on them are:
  1. Property tax notice (dated March 2023)
  2. House land Title (from 2020)
  3. Current Indian passport (which is to be surrendered), as it features our current Canadian address.
@abbas.pasha and @forw.jane
Could you please advise which of these documents is most likely to be accepted? Should I include all of them? Also, my son is 9 years old. I believe my address proof document, which is my driving license, should suffice for him. Can you confirm if that's acceptable?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am applying for a surrender certificate for myself, my wife, and my son. However, my wife doesn't have a driving license or any utility bill in her name. Additionally, in New Brunswick, there aren't any ID cards that display address details. Currently, the documents I can provide that have our address on them are:
  1. Property tax notice (dated March 2023)
  2. House land Title (from 2020)
  3. Current Indian passport (which is to be surrendered), as it features our current Canadian address.
@abbas.pasha and @forw.jane
Could you please advise which of these documents is most likely to be accepted? Should I include all of them? Also, my son is 9 years old. I believe my address proof document, which is my driving license, should suffice for him. Can you confirm if that's acceptable?
Property tax notice should work imo

Reactions: vipinait

Malipelacanadavisa

Star Member
Jul 9, 2016
Hey guys,
Any recent experiences about this topic?
For walkins at Toronto BLS, is it mandatory to have the Canadian passport? Or you can give letter of explanation etc.,
Any swift responses are much appreciated, as I have appointment tomorrow

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hey guys,
Any recent experiences about this topic?
For walkins at Toronto BLS, is it mandatory to have the Canadian passport? Or you can give letter of explanation etc.,
Any swift responses are much appreciated, as I have appointment tomorrow
You need to submit copy of your Canadian passport. It’s mandatory. They won’t accept your application without it .

Reactions: Malipelacanadavisa