+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help. Can I visit wife

cwolf241

Jul 31, 2007
Hi,
I was on here a few years ago and got some very good advice about immigration. I got married in Montreal couple of years ago. My wife (Canadian) and I decided to do in country sponsorship. Unfortunately just as we were going to send in the paperwork, I got a very bad neck injury and had to return to the US to have surgery. I have ended up on disability. After I returned my wife lost her new job because of the economy. Unfortunately in the long run she had to apply for govt welfare. I know she can not sponsor me now, but can not find out how long she has to be off of it to sponsor me again. Also is there any way I will be allowed to visit her? We miss each other very much. Any advice you give would certainly be appreciated. Thanks for your help. Wolf

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
If you're a US citizen, I am not sure why you think you wouldn't be allowed to visit with her. Were you subject to any kind of exclusion order?

She should be off welfare and working for at least a few months before attempting to sponsor you again.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Agree. If you are a US citizen you can visit her whenever you want. US citizens are rarely refused entry - just say you are coming for a visit, and have proof of ties to the USA, which you probably will not be asked for, but it is best to be prepared.
As soon as she goes off welfare, she can apply to sponsor you, since someone sponsoring a spouse or common-law/conjugal partner does not have to meet any income cutoffs. But the visa officer will want to see evidence that you two will be able to support yourselves once you get your PR, so since she was on welfare and you are on disability, a bit more proof of support may be needed in your case. Once she gets a job, working at it for a couple of months before you apply might help reassure the visa officer that the job will last. You should also show proof of any income and savings you have. If family members are willing to help, get a letter or affidavit from them as well.

cwolf241

Jul 31, 2007
Thank you both for you input.

No I am not under any exclusion order at all.

One thing though that I did not put on here (sorry) is we had originally sent in the payment to apply for in country, had the blood work and chest xray that was needed, but then when I injured my neck and found out later that she had to go on govt. assistance, I asked for a refund which they sent to me and I sent it to her to help her out.

That is when someone (on another site) told me that because of that I would not be allowed entry. I have a lease where I live now and will not break it. I also have further appointments I have to keep here, so there is no way I would stay. I know breaking the law only makes things worse and that is not the kind of person I am.

I will have a guaranteed income and savings. We kind of figure the fastest way to apply this time is to do out of country. As long as we can see each other in the mean time would be wonderful.

Have to say I am surprised how rude some people are on other sites. Kind of sad when a few more or less called us scum and should just forget about living in the same country.

Happy I remembered this site and how nice everyone was. Good luck in all of your immigration.

Wolf

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Outland would definitely be faster, Buffalo's average is 11 months for 80% of cases, and I know of American batchmates from Feb 2011, as well as applicants from Mar 2011 who are receiving PR from Buffalo.

All you have to do is have proof of those ties to the US with you in case you are asked for them, you may not be. Go and visit your wife. :)

When you prepare your application, don't forget to address the factors that resulted in your previous application being withdrawn. That way, CIC doesn't get the idea that this is some kind of immigration of convenience after you guys broke up or something.

There's a lot of knowledgeable, helpful people here. Stick around, ask questions, you'll get help when you need it.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The people who told you the gov't wouldn't let you in after your previous withdrawn inland application were probably thinking that the border officials would see you had tried to immigrate to Canada, had not succeeded, and were therefore planning to stay permanently, and so wouldn't let you in.
You get around this by being prepared with proof of your ties to the USA when you try to cross the border: your apartment lease, proof of savings and investments, proof of medical appointments, a return ticket, etc. They may not ask, though, but if they do that should be enough for you to be let in to visit.

Just explain why you withdrew the inland application on your new app. Having to leave Canada for medical treatment is a perfectly valid reason.

cwolf241

Jul 31, 2007
Wanted to say thanks again for others answering. Since I had started the in country process, maybe I can also be of help to others with my experience. I know each person has their own reason for whether they do in-country or out. I respect that, but must say I wish I had done the out of country here in the US. We were in such a hurry to be together and in the end an unexpected medical problem made it so much longer.
Looking forward to my visit up there within the next several weeks.
Peace and prayers
Wolf