+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

please guide me

manuflyer

May 26, 2013
Dear All,

Am a Indian citizen.Presently working in Qatar as a Civil engineer. Please help me to know how i can apply for PR for me & family in Qubec.
& I also need to know about the vacancies for Civil engineer. especially in waterproofing,Industrial coatings & Structural maintenance.
please guide me .Hope your valuable reply soon.

Thanks & Regards,
Manukrishna

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manuflyer said:
Dear All,

Am a Indian citizen.Presently working in Qatar as a Civil engineer. Please help me to know how i can apply for PR for me & family in Qubec.
& I also need to know about the vacancies for Civil engineer. especially in waterproofing,Industrial coatings & Structural maintenance.

Thanks & Regards,
Manukrishna
You can evaluate your chances in Quebec here: http://www.form.services.micc.gouv.qc.ca/epi/index.jsp?languageCode=en

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
manuflyer said:
Dear All,

Thanks & Regards,
Manukrishna
For Job Vacancies please see the the job web sites like indeed.ca, Monster.ca, etc. that will give you some idea how much your experience matched to market demand. Also provinces have some certification and P.engg requirement, if you want to work as a professional. Certification like H2S, WHIMPS, MSDS,etc from middle east or India are not acceptable here so you have to complete these certification from Canada (is matter of not more than one week).

Civil Engineers are high demand in some provinces (I don't know about Quebec) so once you have your immigiration process completed move to the province of high demand so as to get the professional job.

At this stage I think you need to concentrate on immigiration procedure as job worries should starts once you got the immigiration.

cheers

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
Your engineering qualification will not automatically be accredited in Canada.
In Ontario (don't think Quebec is much different, NB, NS, PEI are all the same) you have to go through a tedious program in order to even use the the term 'engineer' in you job description.
An assessment is required and most likely you'll have to take a few exams before you're engineering degree will be accredited and you be able to find a job as an engineer.
I know this is sad news but's the truth. I am a MSc. in Engineering with a degree from a Technical University (the oldest Mining Academy in the World!) in Germany and I am not allowed to use 'engineer' in my job description until I am done with the assessment and exams. W/o any official P.Eng accreditation no employer will give you a job as an engineer. Maybe as a floor sweeper... There are countless taxi drivers in Toronto who are engineers, doctors...

If you are an engineer with a non Canadian degree, here's my advice: stay away from Ontario!

mike

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So is there a country that will allow you to work as an engineer or a doctor without checking your credentials? It doesn't mean you must drive a taxi though. Just take the exams.

I knew a woman from Romania who was doing that in AB. She was working as a draftsman in the meantime. I also met an engineer from Iran who had landed in Toronto, couldn't find a job there but got a job in AB. He was also doing his exams.

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
Leon said:
So is there a country that will allow you to work as an engineer or a doctor without checking your credentials? It doesn't mean you must drive a taxi though. Just take the exams.

I knew a woman from Romania who was doing that in AB. She was working as a draftsman in the meantime. I also met an engineer from Iran who had landed in Toronto, couldn't find a job there but got a job in AB. He was also doing his exams.
Yes, there is a whole continent. It has nothing to do with checking credentials. Checking credentials is done every where, that's totally ok and has to be done, but the rest is close to discriminating.

Have you actually went through the process? Do you know what is required? Or do you just repeat what somebody told you? I am going through the process right now, I know what I am talking about. My employer pays the fees, because I am 23 years with the company and they need us to keep the business running. Overall it'll cost you about $5k to get it completed. Later you'll require an insurance which will cost you $2.5k a year in case you decide to practice.

I have worked for three employers, in four countries, have 26 years of engineering experience in different business areas. I am a graduated Master of Science in Engineering from the world oldest Mining Academy (Technical University) founded in 1536. And I cannot call myself an engineer in Canada! I don't care anymore, since I am soon to retire, but for the number of engineers who want to come here this is important to know.

A colleague of mine, Canadian, went to Germany last month. And got all his papers approved in 4 weeks. He's from NB with a NB Bachelor and Masters and everything got accredited! They checked the University, they know the programs which are provided in NB and are aligned with the standards. Surprise, Canadian education system is recognized as a first world high standard system and so are the graduates treated. Actually it's not a surprise since the education is good, so it is in Germany, UK, Spain, Italy, Russia...

All what it is in Canada is lobby-ism. There's a strong organisation who staked their territory and they dictate the industry whom to employ and whom not. Like it or not it's reality, they just re-enforced this stupid Engineering Act in ON.
One reason why the colleague left, because his degree is from NB, you guess it right, yes, it is not accredited in ON so he would have needed to go through the same stupid procedure like me, waste of effort, so he left for Europe...

mike

P.S> You can chose to ignore these obligations. According to law you are personal liable. If you get reported and found guilty the fine is $25k for the first offence. PEO is scanning through YPs and send write-off to companies who provide engineering services w/o being accredited by PEO. Employers are no longer post ad's asking for engineers w/o stating that they have to be P.Eng certified. If you ignore this as a company you risk a write-off and a fine. Check out the PEO homepage for 'services' they provide. The term 'engineer' is a trademark of PEO in Canada. Microsoft is in court with PE Quebec for a decade now and lost about their MSCE. Microsoft Certified Software Engineer can no longer be used in Canada since Microsoft lost the case in Quebec.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not an engineer so I never had to take these exams but surely you looked into this before you immigrated?

I have worked with quite a few Germans and somehow, they always like to complain and talk about how everything is so much better in Germany. Makes me wonder what you lot are all doing in Canada then :)

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
Leon said:
I am not an engineer so I never had to take these exams but surely you looked into this before you immigrated?

I have worked with quite a few Germans and somehow, they always like to complain and talk about how everything is so much better in Germany. Makes me wonder what you lot are all doing in Canada then :)
This is not an argument but a killer phrase used when I don't have any argument anymore. What you call complain, I call democracy, the right to share my opinion, denounce inequity and yes we are good with that. We brought down a wall through that.
To be honest, when we are in Germany we have even more to 'complain'... :)

I told you I don't care for myself any longer since I retire soon. I share this information not as a complain but as a matter of fact for somebody from abroad to know before he willingly takes on the hardship. I know that there are a lot of rosy Canada pictures and TV shows about 'My New Live' abroad. What's never been told is reality. For a lot of members of this forum there's no alternative. That does not automatically mean, that just because they did their graduation in Asia, Africa, Europe they can be treated like second (or third) class citizen, or engineers or doctors. What I am missing in the process is fair play.

Just my 2cc. See what I added above about fines.

mike

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think it is good that you are warning people but immigrants also need to do their own homework. I have very little patience for complainers. Don't like it, change it. Can't change it, go somewhere else. That's my philosophy. I also have no problems changing careers if it is the easier way. Canada is full of chances and nobody is doomed to drive a taxi, deliver pizza or sweep floors in Canada if they want something better.

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
Leon said:
I think it is good that you are warning people but immigrants also need to do their own homework. I have very little patience for complainers. Don't like it, change it. Can't change it, go somewhere else. That's my philosophy. I also have no problems changing careers if it is the easier way. Canada is full of chances and nobody is doomed to drive a taxi, deliver pizza or sweep floors in Canada if they want something better.
Canada has probably more opportunities -other than engineering disciplines and/or health services- than Germany that's why we are here. We have a live after work...

mike

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I never expected this from a member who volunteers in helping with people's problems fulltime (at least looks like fulltime).

Leon said:
I think it is good that you are warning people but immigrants also need to do their own homework.
Coming to this forum is also their homework!!!! And just like how you explain the process to people, specialized people explain certain speciality in the relevant post. Technically I don't see it as a complaint at all!

Leon said:
Don't like it, change it. Can't change it, go somewhere else. That's my philosophy.
I beg to differ. That's barely a philosophy. That's at its best a state of mind that many people call "Denial Mode". So you immigrated you're successful, great!! someone (actually a vast majority of the immigrants) has problems; at least people should listen to it, not ask them to "shut up or leave", that's borderline bullying. My philosophy is no country is 100% perfect, these grievances must be taken on positive note to make Canada even more a better place to live.

Leon said:
I also have no problems changing careers if it is the easier way.
Reminds me of how utterly I failed in trying to become a CA changing my career from a flourishing IT field. I followed my heart, finished of my courses with more than 3/4 of them with A+ and a cumulative GPA of 3.7, now to become a CA I need to secure a trainee employment in an approved office which has only limited number of seats. Tell you what, no training office has never ever recruited an immigrant. Lesson learnt the hard way: moving up in your career is next to impossible in current setup and it needs to change! probably a career change like quitting my IT job and working in Tim Horton or Wendy was way easier.

Leon said:
Canada is full of chances and nobody is doomed to drive a taxi, deliver pizza or sweep floors in Canada if they want something better.
I hope so too, but when many who immigrate her complain and Canadian government itself sees shortages of work only in Wendy's, Tim Hortons, McDs and local motels I find it hard to believe it is all that rosy.

Ah, well for myself fortunately Im having a decent livelihood. Yet willing to listen to fellow immigrants who do have problems in settling down. Never said them to "Shut up or Leave". Just my thoughts . . .

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanuckForEver said:
I hope so too, but when many who immigrate her complain and Canadian government itself sees shortages of work only in Wendy's, Tim Hortons, McDs and local motels I find it hard to believe it is all that rosy.
See, what I don't like is when new immigrants are told that their future only lies in working at Tim Horton's or McD's or driving a taxi etc. It's nothing but pure scare mongering. So if you failed, it doesn't mean that others will too.

How about offering some advice on how people can move ahead in life without ending up at Tim Hortons instead of trying to be destructive and scaring people.

My advice for what it's worth, look for jobs before you settle. Settle where the jobs are. Be ready to move. This is what Canadians do too. This is a common mistake among new immigrants. They pick a cool city, sign a one year lease and then figure out they can't get a job there.

Another mistake is being afraid to change your field or thinking that some field is beneath you. In Canada, you can apprentice a trade at any age and you get paid while you do it too, more than what you make at Tim H for sure and after 3 to 4 years when you are done, you can be making good money. If somebody would rather work in a Tim H or a call centre etc., that's their choice but they shouldn't complain about how they and all immigrants are doomed and don't have a chance.

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
manuflyer said:
Dear All,

Thanks & Regards,
Manukrishna
Ok, I think we are drifting away...coming back to the original post.

Dear Sir,
I have two 'engineers' (I shouldn't use the word engineer here because of the law although both of them are highly qualified to do the job and they fill a critical gap we have not being able to fill by a Canadian Graduate willing to work in the area; please do not report me!) from India working for me. Wonderful people, highly qualified...

I can not employ them because of stupid market labor opinion required (we tried and failed, too many Canadians could do their job). Hmm, where are the Canadian Engineers... aah two left to Alberta within the past 12 months to get 50% more pay, ok, our fault, we could pay more than area-average (which is already very high, Ontario) and get bankrupt, or, hold -on, better to move the whole business to the US, I can get enough engineers over there.

So, I 'employ them through a third party company, which has a couple 'open' work permits. 3 years then both of them are done, no extension possible. By this time I have invested a whole lot of effort and further training in them. They both want to stay, almost settled, their chance to become a PR under FSW has now become close to zero. So, they'll work offshore for us...

Not to scare you, but your chances to get a permanent job in Canada without PR status is close to zero. Your chance to get a permanent job in any engineering discipline in Canada is actually zero. My recommendation: Get in contact with a European or US construction company. They might send you to Canada for up-to 3 years to assist a local Professional Engineer.

If you decide to apply for PR under FSW be ready to go back to school in Canada to re-graduate a process that'll cost you ~$5K and might take up-to 5 years. While you are pursuing this stony path you'll have to find a job to keep up with living needs. This is reality!

mike

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Hi all,

very nice and interesting discussion.

Mike I sent you a PM can you please check your Inbox and kindly reply.

regards