+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please give my family advice. Where is the justice???

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
I am Canadian Citizen who want to Sponsor her Thai husband under the Family Class. We have one daughter. My husband was refused a tourist visa twice on the grounds of his financial situation and his ties to family in Canada i.e our daughter and I. They didn't believe we would return to Thailand. Now we have been in Mongolia for almost 1 year trying to save money. He had his fingerprints taken here and I sent in his application for a Police Clearance Certificate to Bangkok almost 3 months ago. We are still waiting for the Clearance to be mailed back to us. What do we do now? Do we keep waiting and waiting for this to be mailed to us, before I can send in the Sponsorship Application? Can he apply again for a Visa and then I sponsor him from within Canada? This has been going on for more than 2 years now.... . I think it is ridiculous that we are even in this situation when I'm hearing about Mongolians getting Visas' to go to Canada and they are living there illegally!
HELP!!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Could he have one of his relatives in Thailand try to get the police certificate? Or could he go back there himself to get it? Otherwise just wait, but contact them to make sure they have received the form and are working on it.
He can apply for a TRV from Mongolia, but will have to prove he will come back to Mongolia (or Thailand) before the visa expires. If he goet one, though, you could start an inland sponsorship.

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
I already put a 'Paid Return Envelope' for the Police Clearance to be sent back to us in Mongolia and there is no family of his anywhere near Bangkok. Question: Does the Police Clearance HAVE to be part of initial Family Class Sponsorship Application or can I send in everything else and then we could go back to Bangkok at a later date to get it?
Second Question: If he has been refused a Tourist Visa twice and he tried to apply for the third time, which type would he be most likely to receive Single Entry or Multiple?
Third Question: He is not working in Mongolia, I am. He is attending an English college here. Would my situation and my 2 year contract with a company here be sufficient evidence to prove that we would be returning here? Also, we would be dealing with the Beijing Visa office this time not the Bangkok one so maybe that would be advantage in our favour?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
thaihubbie said:
Question: Does the Police Clearance HAVE to be part of initial Family Class Sponsorship Application or can I send in everything else and then we could go back to Bangkok at a later date to get it?
I think if you don't include it, they will send it back when they are checking the application in Mississaugua. The CIC website does say that if you can't get one, you should attach an explanation, but since your husband is Thai I don't think they will accept that you couldn't get a Thai police certificate. Have you asked for help at the Thai embassy in Mongolia, and the Canadian embassy in Mongolia? Someone at one of these should have some ideas.
Second Question: If he has been refused a Tourist Visa twice and he tried to apply for the third time, which type would he be most likely to receive Single Entry or Multiple?
Single.
Third Question: He is not working in Mongolia, I am. He is attending an English college here. Would my situation and my 2 year contract with a company here be sufficient evidence to prove that we would be returning here?
You need proof he and your child will be leaving Canada. Get a letter from your boss giving you a leave of absence and firmly stating that they are expecting you back; a copy of your contract; a copy of your lease, if you have one; a letter from your husband's school stating they are giving him a leave of absence, but are expecting him back - pay for classes after your stated date of return and include the receipt; include any evidence your child is expected back in Mongolia as well - receipts for paid-up classes, sports activities, music lessons, day care, etc., that start after your date of expected return.

Some embassies and some visa officers are easier than others, so Beijing may be easier.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I hate to be negative, but Beijing is not an easy embassy to deal with.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
toby said:
while everyone has their own experiences, according to this study, Beijing is actually ranked second of all the offices... so i'd say overall you could get much much worse

http://www.immigrationmanuals.ca/CIC.php

good luck!

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
This is all great advice. May I share with you a story why in particular today I am feeling more frustrated than usual? A Mongolian friend called me and recounted how her brother who had been living in the USA illegally for the past 12 years with his wife (who is pregnant) and their child just missed his chance for a green card because he unexpectedly had to come back to Mongolia because their mother was lying on her deathbed and was asking for him. After spending a few months in Mongolia he has now unbelievably received a Canadian Tourist Visa!! My friend was calling me to see if I had any idea of how he could cross illegally across the border into the USA!! She asked me if my family in Canada could help him.
The irony of it all is though I feel very badly for this man and his family....how on earth is he receiving a Canadian Tourist Visa and my husband did not!!? Now this man is flying to Vancouver in a few days, yet my family has still never met my husband. From what I've experienced Mongolians seem to be getting visas to Canada very, very easily. Just recently I went to a function sponsored by the Canadian Consul here in Ulaanbaatar related to Mining and Geology and they were actually handing out Visa Applications right next to the wine and cheese table!!! Why are some nationalities luckier than others??
Unfortunately for our family, there is NO Canadian or Thai Embassy in Ulaanbaatar. There is just a Canadian Consul and a useless Honorary Thai Consul.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
My experience of Asia (and Africa) has been that if some people are inexplicably being given something that other people are inexplicably being denied, there is bribery going on.

Try for the TRV. Also grill your Mongolian friend on exactly how her brother got a visa to Canada. Maybe she can help you.

I feel for you. It seems so easy for some people who should not be getting a visa to get into Canada, while others with completely honest intentions are refused.

gillespiedc

Star Member
May 22, 2010
Zhuhai, China
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
toby said:
Two years in a row now my wife and step-daughter were granted TRVs out of Beijing within 4 working days. Also, Beijing is the only embassy I have ever called that has a human being picking up the phone! Even though I discovered that for a PR I would have to deal with the Hong Kong office (because of geography), they were still polite and friendly, and even answered a few questions for us.

gillespiedc

Star Member
May 22, 2010
Zhuhai, China
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
And now to the point... listen to CanadianWoman on this one. When I was putting together the apps to get my wife and daughter their TRV I very nearly screwed everything up by trying to provide information summarizing the whole plan (almost through to citizenship!) all in the application for a visitor visa. If you are going to apply for a TRV, apply for JUST a TRV. Get the letters that CW mentioned, we did that, along with getting letters from my family in Canada stating that they would provide a place to stay while we were there.

I hope you can get you and your family home soon. Your situation sounds very daunting with having to deal with embassies and police from such a distance. Keep the faith!

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
thaihubbie said:
This is all great advice. May I share with you a story why in particular today I am feeling more frustrated than usual? A Mongolian friend called me and recounted how her brother who had been living in the USA illegally for the past 12 years with his wife (who is pregnant) and their child just missed his chance for a green card because he unexpectedly had to come back to Mongolia because their mother was lying on her deathbed and was asking for him. After spending a few months in Mongolia he has now unbelievably received a Canadian Tourist Visa!! My friend was calling me to see if I had any idea of how he could cross illegally across the border into the USA!! She asked me if my family in Canada could help him.
The irony of it all is though I feel very badly for this man and his family....how on earth is he receiving a Canadian Tourist Visa and my husband did not!!? Now this man is flying to Vancouver in a few days, yet my family has still never met my husband. From what I've experienced Mongolians seem to be getting visas to Canada very, very easily. Just recently I went to a function sponsored by the Canadian Consul here in Ulaanbaatar related to Mining and Geology and they were actually handing out Visa Applications right next to the wine and cheese table!!! Why are some nationalities luckier than others??
Unfortunately for our family, there is NO Canadian or Thai Embassy in Ulaanbaatar. There is just a Canadian Consul and a useless Honorary Thai Consul.
The story you received from your Mongolian friend is a word of mouth. It could be true..it could be false..in either way.
I suggest you focus on your own problem and try your best to go along with the system. Bitterness and frustration will not add anything to the system.

I

iarblue

If your going to sponsor him dont be trying for a TRV tooo many times.And people on here have sent their application in for first stage approval,without FBI and police reports.Send a note explaining your still waiting and as soon as it arrives you will send it to the visa office.
And people will sometimes tell you they have gotten something you have not to make them look better than you,dont put to much faith in word of mouth.

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
Yes Forum, I agree that I shouldn't waste my time worrying about other people's situation BUT may I add just one more point? If a Mongolian applies for a Tourist Visa to Canada they simply have to mail in the application to Beijing because that is where the processing center is. Is anyone verifying any of the information, ie. secure employment, home, family etc. from Beijing to Mongolia?? I think not. Thus, I would venture to say that people who are applying to Visa offices that are not in their own country might be at an advantage. Because if a guy who has been living illegally in the US for 12 years can get a Canadian Visa then nobody is checking anything.

I

iarblue

Because nobody knew he was in the US because he was there Illegaly right.So he came home and applied from home and his app went to the visa office which is Canadian.So it has nothing to do with it being his own country it is always Canadians working in the Canadian Embassies.So thus it is always approved or not by a Canadian am i right?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Most of the staff at Canadian embassies are nationals of the country the embassy is in, not Canadians.
The problem with the brother of her friend getting a visa after being in the USA illegally for 12 years is that he clearly could not then have had bona fide evidence that he was living in Mongolia or had employment there, evidence that you supposedly need to get a TRV. He might own a home there, or have got a friend or relative to claim he was living with them. Still, the Beijing officer can't have checked very well.
To the OP: find out how the brother did it. If you know the sister well enough for her to ask for your help in smuggling her bro over the border, surely she'd be willing to tell you.