+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLEASE ADVISE: PR renewal and citizenship applications

Ahmed127

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello dear friends,

I applied to renew my PR and for citizenship both also last December.

My citizenship file was transferred to Mississauga office on March 5th.

I received a letter to appear at CIC office in Etobicoke on May 8th for my PR renewal for (Residency assessment). They are asking to bring all kinds of residency supporting documents, passports and IDs etc.

I was wondering if the PR renewal process is connected to the citizenship application? I mean are they looking at both applications by the same officers or they are two completely separate processes? Are the decisions related on the 2 applications?

Ahmed127

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Permanent Resident Card
We received your application for a permanent resident card on December 30, 2014.

We started processing your application on March 5, 2015.

Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on March 4, 2015. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.

Citizenship
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on December 3, 2014.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on February 1, 2015. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on February 17, 2015.

Your file was transferred to the Mississauga office on March 5, 2015. The Mississauga office will contact you.

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ahmed127 said:
Hello dear friends,

I applied to renew my PR and for citizenship both also last December.

My citizenship file was transferred to Mississauga office on March 5th.

I received a letter to appear at CIC office in Etobicoke on May 8th for my PR renewal for (Residency assessment). They are asking to bring all kinds of residency supporting documents, passports and IDs etc.

I was wondering if the PR renewal process is connected to the citizenship application? I mean are they looking at both applications by the same officers or they are two completely separate processes? Are the decisions related on the 2 applications?
Dear Ahmed127,
PR card renewel & citizenship application are processed by different departments of cic so decisions are not connected to each other.

yr97

Apr 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
totally separated and processed by different departments..

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
Ahmed127 said:
Permanent Resident Card
We received your application for a permanent resident card on December 30, 2014.

We started processing your application on March 5, 2015.

Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on March 4, 2015. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.
Something wrong with the dates here; maybe typo. If the request was approved no need to worry anymore, you'll receive it by mail, or, if you mentioned you got a letter to appear in Etobicoke, that is for pick it up in person. Have with you all the original documents you sent copies of with application.

Citizenship application is processed differently and separately from PR renewal.

Ahmed127

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
Something wrong with the dates here; maybe typo. If the request was approved no need to worry anymore, you'll receive it by mail, or, if you mentioned you got a letter to appear in Etobicoke, that is for pick it up in person. Have with you all the original documents you sent copies of with application.

Citizenship application is processed differently and separately from PR renewal.
The letter they sent me has a very long list of documents that I have to show them on my (residency assessment) appointment; including passports, translation of stamps, PR card, IDs, proofs of residency such as tax returns, T4s, school and work attendance ... etc

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
Ahmed127 said:
The letter they sent me has a very long list of documents that I have to show them on my (residency assessment) appointment; including passports, translation of stamps, PR card, IDs, proofs of residency such as tax returns, T4s, school and work attendance ... etc
All these documents are required when apply for renewal, right? You sent copies of these documents when applied, is that correct?
Here is link to guideline for PR application:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
All these documents are required when apply for renewal, right? You sent copies of these documents when applied, is that correct?
Here is link to guideline for PR application:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp
OP apparently did not provide enough evidence of residency and therefore is required to appear at local office.

Although it is true that those are 2 separate processes, an applicant will not be granted citizenship if PR residency is in question. So if PR card renewal is denied due to not meeting residency requirements, application for citizenship will be denied as well.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
CanV said:
OP apparently did not provide enough evidence of residency and therefore is required to appear at local office.

Although it is true that those are 2 separate processes, an applicant will not be granted citizenship if PR residency is in question. So if PR card renewal is denied due to not meeting residency requirements, application for citizenship will be denied as well.
Yeah, you right. But his online status shows the application was approved. That why I believe invitation is to check the originals against the copies he sent with application.

I renewed my PR two times; one time I was invited to St Claire to pick it up and asked to have all the original documents (though they never checked them); second time I received it by mail.

Ahmed127

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I already sent copies of everything. I even had to do the translation of stamps again as I do not have a copy of the translation I sent in my application.
The letter does not say originals or not (of course I will have the originals with me). It says that I should give them "proof of residency". I am a full-time postgraduate at U of T. I already sent them all the tax returns and a letter specifically to CIC issued from U of T etc. But CIC is as usual unpredictable. I have a big pile of documents that I will take with me.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ahmed127 said:
I already sent copies of everything. I even had to do the translation of stamps again as I do not have a copy of the translation I sent in my application.
The letter does not say originals or not (of course I will have the originals with me). It says that I should give them "proof of residency". I am a full-time postgraduate at U of T. I already sent them all the tax returns and a letter specifically to CIC issued from U of T etc. But CIC is as usual unpredictable. I have a big pile of documents that I will take with me.
You probably fall under the 10% randomly selected for audit. Nothing to worry about.