+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Plans after PPR

javisam376

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
Hi,

So I got my PPR a few days ago and I am waiting for my passport to be returned. Since I have been reading that it is sort of hard to get a job in your field in Canada, I would like to do a Masters before trying to insert myself into the job market. I might be on time to apply to start next academic year (Sept 2018).

I have the following doubts:

- Would I be able to pay Canadian Resident tuition fees or I would be stuck with international fees? Do I need my PR card in order to pay resident fees?

- My medicals were taken on June 2017 so I guess I should land in Canada before June 2018, however I would like to keep working in my home country until August (need cash to study), so I am wondering if I could travel at some point before the end of 2017 and come back after a week and try to get my PR card send to a relative in Montreal so she can mail it to me back home, is that possible?

- Do I need my PR card to leave Canada? Should I wait over there until the PR card arrives?

- Would there be an issue if I enter a Quebec based addres if I applied trough Express Entry (I understand Quebec has a different process).

Thanks for any help.

Javier

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

So I got my PPR a few days ago and I am waiting for my passport to be returned. Since I have been reading that it is sort of hard to get a job in your field in Canada, I would like to do a Masters before trying to insert myself into the job market. I might be on time to apply to start next academic year (Sept 2018).

- Would I be able to pay Canadian Resident tuition fees or I would be stuck with international fees? Do I need my PR card in order to pay resident fees?

Yes you can pay domestic fees. You need to show PR card for most schools. Not sure at what point they need to see the card.

- My medicals were taken on June 2017 so I guess I should land in Canada before June 2018, however I would like to keep working in my home country until August (need cash to study), so I am wondering if I could travel at some point before the end of 2017 and come back after a week and try to get my PR card send to a relative in Montreal so she can mail it to me back home, is that possible?

Yes you can do a soft landing for a week before June 2018. Don't think you can send it to Quebec though. Doublecheck my answer about Quebec.

- Do I need my PR card to leave Canada? Should I wait over there until the PR card arrives?

No you can wither have the OR card sent to you by a relative or get a PRTD when in your home country to return to Canada.

- Would there be an issue if I enter a Quebec based addres if I applied trough Express Entry (I understand Quebec has a different process).

Don't think you can use a Quebec address.

Thanks for any help.

Javier

Reactions: javisam376

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
As a PR, you will not pay international fees. You should be able to use either your PR card, or your copy of the COPR (signed by you and the CBSA officer, stamped with date of landing) as proof - if they insist on the PRC & you register as an international student, you can often present it later in the term to have fees for that term retrospectively reduced to PR levels.

You can do a short/soft landing. Potentially, yes, this could be a problem, if the officer thinks you're moving immediately to Quebec without going through the Quebec process.

You don't need a PR card to leave Canada. You will need a PR card or Pr Travel Document to fly in to Canada after you become a PR.

javisam376

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
Thanks for your insight @canuck78 and @spousalsponsee !!!

so it seems I cannot get my PR card send to my sister address in QC. I believe I might have a friend of a friend in BC, so that might be a good choice. I guess another one would be to contact an immigration lawyer and see if they can receive my PR card and either send it to my home country or send it to my sister so she can send it home.

Thanks for your help!

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
You can explain to the officer that you are landing outside QC and the mailing address is only for sending PR card. They will weigh in all factors before making any accusation of violation of PR visa. Simply providing a QC mailing address is not enough to cause trouble. I would not trust a mutual friend for something like receiving a PR card as much as your sister

vivekmareddy

Mar 5, 2015
hyd
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
06-04-2017
AOR Received.
09-05-2017
Hi,

Thanks for any help.

Javier

Hi Javier congratulations on ur PPR and good luck