+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning to take RISK of sponsoring my kid when RO not fully met

GRV

Star Member
May 5, 2009
Hey Guys,
Another query,
I am getting a job in New Brunswick (currently I'm in ON), as of now dont know if I would be joining but infact analyzing whether it would impact my kid's status i.e. would it come into the picture at the airport? is it ok if she travels within canada even after expiry of her trv?
ALso, will this move bring forward our PR scenario?
Anything to consider in specific if we plan to move.

Look forward to hearing from you guys before I plan anything.

One thing for sure, whenever in doubt this is the forum, thanks guys.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
dpenabill said:
(For some, self-insuring health care may be a reasonable gamble; I did it for years, even as a significantly older person, even paying for some surgery out-of-pocket, total costs still way, way less than buying insurance would have cost . . . but I did this for a specific period of years after decades of minimal need for medical care, that is a personal history suggesting I could go a good while more without needing major medical services, and even then I knew it was a big gamble at considerable risk.)
Reading this quote, I can't help but think "US escapee", particularly coupled with "reasonably well-informed", "pays attention to politics", and "rather proficient in English."

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
GRV said:
Hey Guys,
Another query,
I am getting a job in New Brunswick (currently I'm in ON), as of now dont know if I would be joining but infact analyzing whether it would impact my kid's status i.e. would it come into the picture at the airport? is it ok if she travels within canada even after expiry of her trv?
ALso, will this move bring forward our PR scenario?
Anything to consider in specific if we plan to move.

Look forward to hearing from you guys before I plan anything.

One thing for sure, whenever in doubt this is the forum, thanks guys.
Generally traveling within Canada should pose no risks.

Getting into school in another province, however, may require proof of current status.

The longer you are here, and the more you are established here, the lower the risks of problems even if there is an examination as to compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. But nonetheless best to wait until very close to meeting the minimum RO if not beyond that before initiating further immigration proceedings, if possible.

Good luck with the job search. New Brunswick is not usually the place one thinks of when considering looking for a job. (Beautiful place. I love it. Might consider living there but for the weather . . . I love it here, crisp winter cold, mild construction season.

kateg said:
Reading this quote, I can't help but think "US escapee", particularly coupled with "reasonably well-informed", "pays attention to politics", and "rather proficient in English."
Not sure what you are implying.

As for the underlying influences of America's love it or leave it myopic narcissism, I was painfully slow on the uptake and excruciatingly slow in the execution. History. I now have a country I can love and still love justice. And only a bit damaged getting here.

As for the medical care, I did have so-called Viet era veteran's benefits to fall back on (50 percent coverage), and now am old enough to qualify for the U.S. single-payor system (except I do not live in the U.S. and have no plans to ever again live in the U.S., and someone please shoot me if I lean that direction, with an American handgun preferably as would be apropos, although perhaps an assault style rifle would be more appropriate, like one of my step-sons was last year in an insanely irrational and deadly act of almost random violence, American-style -- the one regret I have is how many I have left behind to live in that mire of . . . perhaps it would be best if I refrain from keying outloud what I think of that Drumpf driven near-wasteland).

That said, I do not consider myself an escapee. I came to Canada to be here as much, or more, than to escape the U.S. While the latter is of much benefit, greatly appreciated, it really was an incidental benefit. I am no refugee. Let's leave it at sure, there is a woman to blame.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
dpenabill said:
Not sure what you are implying.
When someone talks about insurance issues, it's more likely than not they lived in the US at some point in their life. When they are also well-versed in the English language, the odds go up further. Nothing more.

As for the underlying influences of America's love it or leave it myopic narcissism, I was painfully slow on the uptake and excruciatingly slow in the execution. History. I now have a country I can love and still love justice. And only a bit damaged getting here.
"Love it or leave it" definitely has a different meaning for ex-pats.

That said, I do not consider myself an escapee. I came to Canada to be here as much, or more, than to escape the U.S. While the latter is of much benefit, greatly appreciated, it really was an incidental benefit. I am no refugee. Let's leave it at sure, there is a woman to blame.
Fair enough.

Canada is a good country that stands on it's own, but it still felt good (as an inmate) to leave the asylum. :)

GRV

Star Member
May 5, 2009
Thx dpenabill for the reply.

dpenabill said:
Generally traveling within Canada should pose no risks.
As my kid is on Visitor visa and if she travels after the expiry (when extn. of appl. is in place) within Canada will that pose some questioning at airport?
And once our PR card also expires, is it advisable travel within Canada via Air?

dpenabill said:
Getting into school in another province, however, may require proof of current status.

The longer you are here, and the more you are established here, the lower the risks of problems even if there is an examination as to compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. But nonetheless best to wait until very close to meeting the minimum RO if not beyond that before initiating further immigration proceedings, if possible.

Good luck with the job search. New Brunswick is not usually the place one thinks of when considering looking for a job. (Beautiful place. I love it. Might consider living there but for the weather . . . I love it here, crisp winter cold, mild construction season.
I am contemplating of moving there as I am getting a job offer from a reputable company that's why in a dilemma. Main factor of apprehension is our PR scenario, my kids TRV scenario, how would these things be affected.
Not sure whether to accept it or stay with the current company here in ON.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
GRV said:
As my kid is on Visitor visa and if she travels after the expiry (when extn. of appl. is in place) within Canada will that pose some questioning at airport?
And once our PR card also expires, is it advisable travel within Canada via Air?
There is no immigration control for domestic flights within Canada. All you need to show is valid ID to board a flight. So basically just a passport will do. It's not required to show a PR card, nor will an airline even care or ask about visitor or PR status on a domestic flight.

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
@GRV,

Please let us know how you go with this whole process. We might be in a similar situation. We became prs in June 2015 and are looking to re-locate to canada in 2018. WE LANDED and lived in canada for only about 20 days. Now, our kid was born in 2016 outside of canada. I dont know how easy it would be to sponsor the kid when we relocate in 2018.

Any thoughts guys?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smk_ujs said:
@GRV,

Please let us know how you go with this whole process. We might be in a similar situation. We became prs in June 2015 and are looking to re-locate to canada in 2018. WE LANDED and lived in canada for only about 20 days. Now, our kid was born in 2016 outside of canada. I dont know how easy it would be to sponsor the kid when we relocate in 2018.

Any thoughts guys?
As long as you make sure that you meet the RO, you will not have a problem. That means that you can be outside Canada no more then 3 years so say you left on July 5th in 2015, you need to return by July 4th 2018 at the latest. If you stay out that long, you are really at the maximum allowed so be aware that you are not allowed as much as one day outside Canada in the next 2 years after coming back and better that you not attempt to renew your PR card either until you have your 2 years.

Because of flights getting delayed or cancelled, I would not recommend it either staying outside for the maximum that you can. Also keep in mind depending where your from that your kid may need a visa to enter Canada.

If your kid is visa exempt, then it's not a problem. You apply for eTA for your kid and you make sure you have travel insurance until you get health care because a kid on visitor status may not get health care depending on the province.

If your kid is not visa exempt, you will have to apply for a visit visa in good time before your move. Your visit visa for your kid may be denied based on that it is not your intention for your kid to visit but to stay permanently. If that happens, you can apply for a TRP which is a special visa sometimes granted on humanitarian grounds. However, whatever happens with your kids visa, it is extremely important that at least one of the parents, you or your spouse, return to Canada while still meeting the RO in order to start sponsorship of your child. If you arrive too late, you risk being reported on entry for not meeting the RO, if you don't, you risk if you apply right away that your sponsorship will be refused and you reported upon examination that you don't meet the RO and you and your wife could lose your PR. If the kids visa is denied, it is possible that you go to Canada alone to sponsor your kid while you still meet the RO and your partner could wait with your kid in your home country. Your partner would not meet the RO anymore and could still travel to Canada with a valid PR card once the kid gets PR. If your partner were to be reported on entry at that time for not meeting the RO, they can claim humanitarian grounds for having to wait with the kid and even if they lost their appeal, you would meet the RO and could sponsor your partner back.

In order to avoid these kind of problems, I would recommend planning on making your move in 2017 and not wait until 2018.

GRV

Star Member
May 5, 2009
Yep sure smk_ujs will keep the updates going.

Coming to the relocation to Saint John, NB I am really confused whether to take the opportunity or not as its one of the big IT giant with almost 40% raise on my current package, the thing which is stopping me: My kid & ours PR scenario (Future inbound travels, getting family Doctors, schooling n all), New place (guess its a small town) whereas here in GTA have started knowing few people (kind of settling down).

Really in a dilemma whether to take it up or stay put here for couple of years (given our PR scenario). :-\
Anyone with any advice or guidance?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
GRV said:
Yep sure smk_ujs will keep the updates going.

Coming to the relocation to Saint John, NB I am really confused whether to take the opportunity or not as its one of the big IT giant with almost 40% raise on my current package, the thing which is stopping me: My kid & ours PR scenario (Future inbound travels, getting family Doctors, schooling n all), New place (guess its a small town) whereas here in GTA have started knowing few people (kind of settling down).

Really in a dilemma whether to take it up or stay put here for couple of years (given our PR scenario). :-\
Anyone with any advice or guidance?
I think this is really a personal decision. As you've said, Saint John is a much smaller place than Toronto. This certainly doesn't make it bad - just different. Have you ever visitied? If not, I would strongly recommend you spend a long weekend there to get a feel for the place and see if it's the kind of place where you would be happy living. I don't think that getting a family doctor or finding a school will be that much different than Toronto. International travel will be a bit more complicated and likely require you to fly an extra leg. Again, really a personal decision. And I don't think your PR situation has anything to do with this decision. You'll be in the same situation you are now either way. Good luck.

GRV

Star Member
May 5, 2009
Hi Guys,

Update: I declined the offer to go to NB. So will stay put here for next couple of years to get our PRs renewed.

Next step: As its time to apply for TRV extension of my kid. So I have started preparing the application. I have few queries in that regard, need your guys' assistance for the same.

1. Use of a representative form- If I'm filing visa extension for my 2 and half year old kid, do i need to fill up the representative form?

2. How many months of extension should I apply for? As we would be eligible to apply for our PR renewals by Nov 2017 (after which only we can sponsor our kid), so shall I request the visa extension till Dec 2017? is it advisable to request for such a long period?

3. Letter of request for extension - Here is What I need main help in drafting the letter as to what relevant sentences shall i draft ? WHat is the reason for extension? I mean I am confused as to what reason to provide for extension and not going for sponsorship. So pls if you could let me know few lines to write in the letter would be great.

4. Proof of Income: DO i need to show certain amount in my account? or my service offer letter with salary details would suffice?

I believe its better to apply for the extension yourself instead of taking any lawyers' services, so thought would ask you guys for the help.

Thanks in advance.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
GRV said:
Hi Guys,

Update: I declined the offer to go to NB. So will stay put here for next couple of years to get our PRs renewed.

Next step: As its time to apply for TRV extension of my kid. So I have started preparing the application. I have few queries in that regard, need your guys' assistance for the same.

1. Use of a representative form- If I'm filing visa extension for my 2 and half year old kid, do i need to fill up the representative form?

No As parent you can straight fill the forms

2. How many months of extension should I apply for? As we would be eligible to apply for our PR renewals by Nov 2017 (after which only we can sponsor our kid), so shall I request the visa extension till Dec 2017? is it advisable to request for such a long period?

I would suggest maximum time frame allowed not sure ifthey give for such long period

3. Letter of request for extension - Here is What I need main help in drafting the letter as to what relevant sentences shall i draft ? WHat is the reason for extension? I mean I am confused as to what reason to provide for extension and not going for sponsorship. So pls if you could let me know few lines to write in the letter would be great.

4. Proof of Income: DO i need to show certain amount in my account? or my service offer letter with salary details would suffice?

I believe its better to apply for the extension yourself instead of taking any lawyers' services, so thought would ask you guys for the help.

Thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GRV said:
Leon, dpenabill, scylla others...
Any takers?
Pls reply guys...
Just ask for a 6 months extension for now. Give a vague reason like you are visiting Canada with your non-PR child and have decided to stay a bit longer.

Your service letter with salary details should suffice. You can also show emergency insurance for your child if they are not covered by health care.