+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

planning to study abroad

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
my mom applied for PR visa and we are moving in september .I( going to turn 19 this nov. ) have already started my college and my degree (medicine ) will take 5 more years .now i can go to canada for 2-3 months an year and so can coplete a stay of 1 year in canada ( in five years )
my parents r divorced and my father is living here in india
now
1) is there anyway i can do the degree and retain my PR status
2) id there any provision to apply for some sort of exemption/permission (now or after an year or so) so in case even i m refused i can move to canada and leave the degree
3) if i lose my PR status do i stand a chance to appeal an humanitarian ground
4) if i lose my PR status can my mom still sponser me as i will still be a dependent child , whatr the chances
i dont want to leave the degree cos its really cheap

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
i forgot to mention
if my mom (who is a permanent resident not a citizen) live with me for two years (i am 18 now) not working for a canadian company job ad they say , will that two years be considered for my residency obligation ?
she can go back after that and meet her residency obligation or she can become a citizen after three more years because my pr renewal will also take place after five years ?
is there any hope

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tegveer said:
my mom applied for PR visa and we are moving in september .I( going to turn 19 this nov. ) have already started my college and my degree (medicine ) will take 5 more years .now i can go to canada for 2-3 months an year and so can coplete a stay of 1 year in canada ( in five years )
my parents r divorced and my father is living here in india
now
1) is there anyway i can do the degree and retain my PR status
2) id there any provision to apply for some sort of exemption/permission (now or after an year or so) so in case even i m refused i can move to canada and leave the degree
3) if i lose my PR status do i stand a chance to appeal an humanitarian ground
4) if i lose my PR status can my mom still sponser me as i will still be a dependent child , whatr the chances
1. No you have to meet the residency requirements of 2 years in 5.
2. No exemptions other than accompanying a Canadian spouse, working for Gov't, Military.
3. Studying abroad won't be a factor in H.& C. application.
4. She could, if she maintains her residency status, and you continue in School.
5. PS, if you get a medical degree overseas, it is very unlikely that you will be able to practise in Canada or get a residency position. You may wish to re-think your plans.

PMM

sushid0c

Star Member
Oct 25, 2007
hi..
tegveer said:
hi.

i think PMM has answered the first few questions.
regarding the quoted above. If you want to practice as a medical doctor it will be very difficult especially if you want to treat patients or do surgeries (minor or major). Got friends who havent got residency despite clearing exams. so plan accordingly because you complete your MBBS degree here , may be even do MD and will then resit for exams of MCC ( which has got around 3 parts). Then again do residency like junior and senior residency before they even consider you for a license. so after 8 years of medicine in india ( 5 years of MBBS+ 3 yrs of MD) you are still not a doctor in canada.

Got a friend who has entered into research....after clearing all exams and not having got residency.

so if your final aim is to reach canada you may have to change your plans or be prepared to resit for all exams as above.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
thanks !
but if whole of my family is inside canada , will they consider it in h & c grounds
well i am thinking about studying in canada only but the various universities says that they have seats available for international medical graduates or i can give USMLE ,only thing i am worried about is the fee there in canada

sushid0c

Star Member
Oct 25, 2007
tegveer said:
thanks !
but if whole of my family is inside canada , will they consider it in h & c grounds.
well do you mean that if your PR was cancelled would you be able to go to canada....since your family is in canada i think you will easily get sponsored by your parent.
well i am thinking about studying in canada only but the various universities says that they have seats available for international medical graduates or i can give USMLE ,only thing i am worried about is the fee there in canada
well they have seats for international medical graduates...but how many. from the forum and other websites they talk of few seats for International medical graduates. Few could be 1 or 2 or 10. in a university. I am not discouraging you to pursue medicine in india.
as regards USMLE...it is a licensing exam for US and not for canada. Canada has its own licensing exam by MCC (medical council of canada). the best option would be to talk to the MCC people what all exams from which all countries they will consider.

please correct me if i am wrong anywhere.