+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning to pursue MBA-distance from India, for extra 40 CRS points! Please help!

ronnie92

Nov 19, 2017
Hi all,

I'm planning to pursue MBA in distance learning mode. I'm currently keeping Sikkim Manipal as an option. I'm yet to take an admission for the course, and if I take an admission (next session commences from April 2018), my degree will come around April 2020.

Now, the problem is, if I get my degree in April 2020, I'll be stuck as WES doesn't evaluate SMU-DE degrees. I recently came to know that I can get my ECA done through ICAS/IQAS for my SMU-DE MBA degree. But, the problem is, ICAS/IQAS will take a long time to output a positive result.

I was told that Canada immigrations will be on verge till 2020 only. If I get my degree in April 2020, and get ICAS/IQAS to evaluate it, this means it will kinda, be 2021 till my results come!

This means I'll not come under the 2020 limit and even then when I apply for express entry, it will be 2021 - I don't even know if I'd be able to succeed then.

My current score is 429 only, with my bachelors degree (B.Tech.) done from Rajasthan Technical University. Getting MBA degree will get it to 469, which, is a good score for CRS.

Please help me, are there any alternative universities where I can try for distance MBA that WES recognises, because WES would take minimal time as compared to the time taken by ICAS/IQAS!

Please help!

ankie

Star Member
Oct 13, 2017
Have you maximized your IELTS score already? Waiting till 2020 for score of 469 (who knows, the cutoffs may rise further by then!) would not be wise in my opinion.

Reactions: ronnie92

mjtraptor30

Feb 8, 2018
I am in the same position. Currently planning on taking a Masters but it will take me till 2020 to finish. Will there still be an express entry during that time?

ronnie92

Nov 19, 2017
Have you maximized your IELTS score already? Waiting till 2020 for score of 469 (who knows, the cutoffs may rise further by then!) would not be wise in my opinion.
Hey,

I haven't applied for IELTS. I'm planning to attempt IELTS in 2019. That way, I'll be having more than enough time to prepare.
And yes, I agree with you. But, do I have any other options? Sadly, no.
I too agree it might not be a wise decision. However, if I give it a try, that would be wiser.
So, just trying out my luck here :)

Thanks.

ankie

Star Member
Oct 13, 2017
Hey,

I haven't applied for IELTS. I'm planning to attempt IELTS in 2019. That way, I'll be having more than enough time to prepare.
And yes, I agree with you. But, do I have any other options? Sadly, no.
I too agree it might not be a wise decision. However, if I give it a try, that would be wiser.
So, just trying out my luck here :)

Thanks.
How did you arrive at 429 CRS then?

ronnie92

Nov 19, 2017
I am in the same position. Currently planning on taking a Masters but it will take me till 2020 to finish. Will there still be an express entry during that time?
Hey.

That's great. I can understand which position are you currently in.
I called up SMU-DE, and brought the point of WES not evaluating MBA degrees from them. They have asked me to give them sometime to ponder over this, they'll most probably let me know by tomorrow noon.
On my part, I've checked up by registering over WES myself and yes, if you select Sikkim Manipal University from the dropdown, WES pops up an alert message stating that WES won't be evaluating SMU degrees. Hence, it's confirmed they won't evaluate the degree. However, I've seen many cases of SMU getting their ECAs done. I wonder if ICAS/IQAS is the only way to get it done.

ronnie92

Nov 19, 2017
How did you arrive at 429 CRS then?
I just assumed that if I prepare for almost a year, I can atleast get L8, R7, S7, W7.
However, I understand the scores can definitely go down and up as well. This is not much of a concern because I can always have another chance to give it again. Also, if I get better, it would be awesome and will surely raise up my score to 429+ or 469+.

mjtraptor30

Feb 8, 2018
Hey.

That's great. I can understand which position are you currently in.
I called up SMU-DE, and brought the point of WES not evaluating MBA degrees from them. They have asked me to give them sometime to ponder over this, they'll most probably let me know by tomorrow noon.
On my part, I've checked up by registering over WES myself and yes, if you select Sikkim Manipal University from the dropdown, WES pops up an alert message stating that WES won't be evaluating SMU degrees. Hence, it's confirmed they won't evaluate the degree. However, I've seen many cases of SMU getting their ECAs done. I wonder if ICAS/IQAS is the only way to get it done.
You could try looking for other universities with distance learning options that WES recognizes? The university where I'm planning to do my online program is recognized by WES, only problem is the time that it will take for me to finish the program.

ronnie92

Nov 19, 2017
You could try looking for other universities with distance learning options that WES recognizes? The university where I'm planning to do my online program is recognized by WES, only problem is the time that it will take for me to finish the program.
Which university are you planning to pursue your masters from? And yes, I understand your concern but atleast we can try! :)

mjtraptor30

Feb 8, 2018
Which university are you planning to pursue your masters from? And yes, I understand your concern but atleast we can try! :)
hello, i'm planning to enroll at University of the Philippine's online school. I'm actually thinking of just enrolling for a one year diploma at Canada as an international student just to boost my score but it's so expensive.

Hoping we both get in a few years!

FWSAPPLICANT

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
Hi all,

I'm planning to pursue MBA in distance learning mode. I'm currently keeping Sikkim Manipal as an option. I'm yet to take an admission for the course, and if I take an admission (next session commences from April 2018), my degree will come around April 2020.

Now, the problem is, if I get my degree in April 2020, I'll be stuck as WES doesn't evaluate SMU-DE degrees. I recently came to know that I can get my ECA done through ICAS/IQAS for my SMU-DE MBA degree. But, the problem is, ICAS/IQAS will take a long time to output a positive result.

I was told that Canada immigrations will be on verge till 2020 only. If I get my degree in April 2020, and get ICAS/IQAS to evaluate it, this means it will kinda, be 2021 till my results come!

This means I'll not come under the 2020 limit and even then when I apply for express entry, it will be 2021 - I don't even know if I'd be able to succeed then.

My current score is 429 only, with my bachelors degree (B.Tech.) done from Rajasthan Technical University. Getting MBA degree will get it to 469, which, is a good score for CRS.

Please help me, are there any alternative universities where I can try for distance MBA that WES recognises, because WES would take minimal time as compared to the time taken by ICAS/IQAS!

Please help!
As far as I know, CIC doesn't consider distance learning education. Better verify this yourself.
"I was told that Canada immigration will be on verge till 2020 only" *** This is just speculation, when express entry started people were saying that the score will come down after 6 months and every one in the pool will get invitation, now its been more than 3 years with this high score.

So, instead of relying on speculations just find a way to improve your score.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
As far as I know, CIC doesn't consider distance learning education..
This isn't technically true. I suspect it has to do with the University itself. If you can find an online Masters program that is issued by a reputable university, they'll accept the ECA that says it's equivalent to a Canadian masters.

ronnie92

Nov 19, 2017
As far as I know, CIC doesn't consider distance learning education. Better verify this yourself.
"I was told that Canada immigration will be on verge till 2020 only" *** This is just speculation, when express entry started people were saying that the score will come down after 6 months and every one in the pool will get invitation, now its been more than 3 years with this high score.

So, instead of relying on speculations just find a way to improve your score.
Hello there,

I am, infact, trying to improve my score only :)
I've researched and I've come to know that distance learning is valid, only if the university is legit. However, this doesn't hold true for Sikkim Manipal University. I don't know why, but this only seems to be the case.

ronnie92

Nov 19, 2017
This isn't technically true. I suspect it has to do with the University itself. If you can find an online Masters program that is issued by a reputable university, they'll accept the ECA that says it's equivalent to a Canadian masters.
Agreed, +1.
The only problem is, which universities can provide me to the level to which my ECA can be done. SMU is no more an option now. Looking forward to Amity University. It *might* help me up.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Agreed, +1.
The only problem is, which universities can provide me to the level to which my ECA can be done. SMU is no more an option now. Looking forward to Amity University. It *might* help me up.
If you can afford it, look into a US program. Provided it's not a private or 'online-only' school, I would guess you'd probably get a Canadian Masters equivalent.