+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning to move to Canada

adamlondon

Oct 1, 2013
I am new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Firstly I was born in Canada but moved with my parents to UK when I was only a few years old. I have a canadian passport but have never lived there as an adult.

My girlfriend and I are planning to get married soon but after that we really want to start a new life in Canada together a year or 2 after. She is an Italian citizen.

I don't know exactly where to start to look of what I would need to do. Or if there would be any problems as I have not been living in Canada for many years.

Thanks Adam.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
adamlondon said:
I am new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Firstly I was born in Canada but moved with my parents to UK when I was only a few years old. I have a canadian passport but have never lived there as an adult.

My girlfriend and I are planning to get married soon but after that we really want to start a new life in Canada together a year or 2 after. She is an Italian citizen.

I don't know exactly where to start to look of what I would need to do. Or if there would be any problems as I have not been living in Canada for many years.

Thanks Adam.
As you are a Canadian citizen by birth, I guess you can just go to Canada. You may have to process visa or pr or something else for your wife. You can check the site, CIC.gc.ca. Hope this helps!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will have to sponsor your wife for PR.

1. As a Canadian citizen, you may start sponsorship before moving to Canada but you would need to show proof of moving plans when your wife gets her PR. If you have no family or friends in Canada, this could be difficult. You may need to show plans of where to live, where to work, job offer, being accepted to a college, having arranged housing etc.

2. You could go to Canada alone to prepare for your wife joining you and start sponsorship then. She could come with you as she is visa exempt or join you later on but she would not be able to work for several months.

3. Your wife may qualify for a working holiday program. She should ask at the Canadian embassy in Rome. If she does, she could apply for it and come with you to Canada and be able to work for a year by which time your sponsorship application should be through and she will get her PR.

adamlondon

Oct 1, 2013
Thanks for the information. I do actually have quite a large number of relatives in Nova Scotia so we have thought about possibly going to Halifax as a starting point to get things set up like bank accounts etc.

but we intend then to move to Vancouver. I would like to avoid as much as possible a situation where I have to go over first and she would then join me later.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to sponsor while still outside Canada yourself, you should look for jobs online or anything you can use to show plans to move to Canada when she gets her PR. The relatives might be able to help you get a job offer and if they state that they know of your plans, will help you settle and find housing, that could be seen as enough proof.

Once she gets her PR, nothing would stop you from going to Vancouver instead of Halifax right away. There is no real point in starting off in Halifax if you really want to end up in Vancouver.