+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

planning to move to Canada and kid is 18

geetika_1984

Jun 3, 2014
HI all,

I am planning to move to canada on work permit. and have few questions:

1. If i plan to come on work permit and my daughter is in college and 18 or 19 yrs..what kind of visa she will be getting and for how long??

2. Do we need to show before coming to Canada that she is accepted in some college

3. What will be the process for her once she turns 22 and is no more dependent on my visa

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
HI all,

I am planning to move to canada on work permit. and have few questions:

1. If i plan to come on work permit and my daughter is in college and 18 or 19 yrs..what kind of visa she will be getting and for how long??

2. Do we need to show before coming to Canada that she is accepted in some college

3. What will be the process for her once she turns 22 and is no more dependent on my visa
1 and 2. She needs admission into a college and then apply for a study permit. She will have to pay international fees, show minimum $10k, pay tuition, show ties to home country too. Study permit is for length of program.
3. She will need to immigrate based on her own merit If she wants to stay in Canada.

geetika_1984

Jun 3, 2014
1 and 2. She needs admission into a college and then apply for a study permit. She will have to pay international fees, show minimum $10k, pay tuition, show ties to home country too. Study permit is for length of program.
3. She will need to immigrate based on her own merit If she wants to stay in Canada.
BUt the Canada website says, kids are dependent till the age of 22?? what does that mean??

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
BUt the Canada website says, kids are dependent till the age of 22?? what does that mean??
What type of work permit do you have? NOC?

If you apply for PR then she is eligible until 22 as your dependent. If she were attending secondary school, she could attend for free.

geetika_1984

Jun 3, 2014
What type of work permit do you have? NOC?

If you apply for PR then she is eligible until 22 as your dependent. If she were attending secondary school, she could attend for free.
Can she join us on visitor visa and then search for college and apply for the study permit??? what are the chances of getting approval in that case?

geetika_1984

Jun 3, 2014
With changes to work permits, your child can apply for a work permit and work. She can then search and get admission to a college or university. Approval is dependent on paying tuition, funds, showing ties to home country, and justifying the costs of education by showing career opportunities in home country.

Changes to open work permit eligibility for family members of foreign workers - Canada.ca
can she apply for a work permit when shes 18 and completed high school?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
can she apply for a work permit when shes 18 and completed high school?
As per the link,

Before your dependent children work in Canada, check the minimum age required to work in the province/territory and in the job type they plan to work in.

Open work permit holders must still meet the federal, provincial, or territorial labour laws in order to work.

So you need to look at age for the province you are moving too.