+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning to apply for conjugal partner sponsorship but hesitating if we should

Cytus51

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
Hi, everyone, thank you for taking time to read this. My partner is planning to sponsor me on conjugal partnership. We knew each other online, we haven’t actually met yet, but we spend at least 2 hours a day on FaceTime, we have call history, lots and lots of screenshots, and we’ve got tons of chat history on WhatsApp, and we have proof on FB timeline that friends know we are a couple. And by the way, we are a gay couple. And in my country, same-sex marriage doesn’t exist. And my partner is much older than I, thus we feel like we are fighting the time. And the COVID makes it really hard. One way or another, I wish we could be together soon...
Our original plan is that I apply for a TRV and we get married once I get there. And because of the pandemic, my application is still pending(I submitted the application in March), and we think it will remain that way for a long time. That’s why we are thinking of applying for the conjugal partner sponsorship...
When I applied for the TRV, I did not put my partner’s name in the to-visit list. I only put in the names of the hotels, and also, in the introduction letter, my purpose of visit was visit Banff, and the schedule I provided was about that as well. So I‘m thinking applying for the sponsorship might make it look contradictory.
I kindly ask for suggestion about what we should do at the moment, should we try to apply for the sponsorship? And if so, should I write to cancel my TRV and apply again with another purpose of visit?
Thank you very much in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, everyone, thank you for taking time to read this. My partner is planning to sponsor me on conjugal partnership. We knew each other online, we haven’t actually met yet, but we spend at least 2 hours a day on FaceTime, we have call history, lots and lots of screenshots, and we’ve got tons of chat history on WhatsApp, and we have proof on FB timeline that friends know we are a couple. And by the way, we are a gay couple. And in my country, same-sex marriage doesn’t exist. And my partner is much older than I, thus we feel like we are fighting the time. And the COVID makes it really hard. One way or another, I wish we could be together soon...
Our original plan is that I apply for a TRV and we get married once I get there. And because of the pandemic, my application is still pending(I submitted the application in March), and we think it will remain that way for a long time. That’s why we are thinking of applying for the conjugal partner sponsorship...
When I applied for the TRV, I did not put my partner’s name in the to-visit list. I only put in the names of the hotels, and also, in the introduction letter, my purpose of visit was visit Banff, and the schedule I provided was about that as well. So I‘m thinking applying for the sponsorship might make it look contradictory.
I kindly ask for suggestion about what we should do at the moment, should we try to apply for the sponsorship? And if so, should I write to cancel my TRV and apply again with another purpose of visit?
You don't qualify for conjugal without getting a TRV refused. It would be extremely unusual for CIC to approve a conjugal application if the partners have not even met each other in person. There are usually concerns when partners have only met once in person. It is also a very bad idea.

Cytus51

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
You don't qualify for conjugal without getting a TRV refused. It would be extremely unusual for CIC to approve a conjugal application if the partners have not even met each other in person. There are usually concerns when partners have only met once in person. It is also a very bad idea.
Thank you so much for the information, it really helps.
I think there’s almost no option left for us except waiting for the TRV to be approved. I thought about meeting in Symbian or US to get married, then apply for spouse sponsorship, but I worry he might get the virus taking a plane. (He’s 65 and I really worried about him getting the COVID)
The pandemic has made everything so difficult.
Thank you again for the information!

Cytus51

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
About my TRV application, in the last five years, I only travelled to US, Thailand and Japan. I’ve been working on the current job for 5+ years and I’m still here. (Because I applied in March, and it forces me to give dates for the period of the job, I filled in 2015.02 - 2020.03, would that be a problem? )

And after I completed the QA before I applied, because I answered that I have the US visa, it gave me the simplified process of application. And I did not provide any financial document, would that be an issue?

In purpose of visit, I said Tourism, and I provided a quite specific travel schedule.

I wonder if my chance of getting rejected on the TRV is high or not......

Thank you again, Canuck!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
About my TRV application, in the last five years, I only travelled to US, Thailand and Japan. I’ve been working on the current job for 5+ years and I’m still here. (Because I applied in March, and it forces me to give dates for the period of the job, I filled in 2015.02 - 2020.03, would that be a problem? )

And after I completed the QA before I applied, because I answered that I have the US visa, it gave me the simplified process of application. And I did not provide any financial document, would that be an issue?

In purpose of visit, I said Tourism, and I provided a quite specific travel schedule.

I wonder if my chance of getting rejected on the TRV is high or not......

Thank you again, Canuck!
As I understand they have simply put TRV processing on hold for tourism without qualifying for an exemption (such as immediate family member).

This doesn't mean approval or refusal is higher than before, just that you should consider possibility TRV will just be delayed as long as covid travel restrictions are in effect.

I don't have the references to hand to show this. But at any rate even if you got the TRV tomorrow, you cannot use it to travel under the covid rules in effect right now. This is the current reality and a fact.

Hope this helps in terms of understanding why it might be delayed, although I can't say for certain.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you have never met in person, there's zero chance of approval for conjugal sponsorship. Don't apply for conjugal sponsorship at this time.

You'll want to visit each other several times before you submit a conjugal application. If you can manage to get married, that would be preferable. But don't get married on the first trip to see each other (this causes IRCC to think the marriage isn't genuine). If you can get married, then get married during the 2nd or preferably 3rd trip to see each other.

Before he sponsors you, you'll want to make sure you truly establish a marriage-like relationship. This means not just being able to show daily communications, but also combining your financial assets and any properties, establishing joint bank accounts, etc.

Note that as of now, you won't be able to travel to Canada even with an approved TRV. You'll need to wait for the travel restrictions for non-essential travel to be lifted.

Reactions: mashulia_26

Cytus51

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
If you have never met in person, there's zero chance of approval for conjugal sponsorship. Don't apply for conjugal sponsorship at this time.

You'll want to visit each other several times before you submit a conjugal application. If you can manage to get married, that would be preferable. But don't get married on the first trip to see each other (this causes IRCC to think the marriage isn't genuine). If you can get married, then get married during the 2nd or preferably 3rd trip to see each other.

Before he sponsors you, you'll want to make sure you truly establish a marriage-like relationship. This means not just being able to show daily communications, but also combining your financial assets and any properties, establishing joint bank accounts, etc.

Note that as of now, you won't be able to travel to Canada even with an approved TRV. You'll need to wait for the travel restrictions for non-essential travel to be lifted.
Hi, Scylla, thank you so much for the information.
My partner has mentioned his fear about being apart again because of the pandemic... so we both hope to get married in the first trip...
These past few months have been so difficult for us.
And my partner is 65 already, we can’t afford losing more years... If we state that in the explanation letter, will CIC understand It?
This is so sad, but I totally understand their concern about this might be a marriage which isn’t genuine.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, Scylla, thank you so much for the information.
My partner has mentioned his fear about being apart again because of the pandemic... so we both hope to get married in the first trip...
These past few months have been so difficult for us.
And my partner is 65 already, we can’t afford losing more years... If we state that in the explanation letter, will CIC understand It?
This is so sad, but I totally understand their concern about this might be a marriage which isn’t genuine.
I would strongly recommend against getting married on your first trip together, especially if there is an age gap. But ultimately your choice.

Getting married during your first in person visit will make it much more likely that IRCC will suspect a marriage of convenience.

Reactions: mashulia_26

Cytus51

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
As I understand they have simply put TRV processing on hold for tourism without qualifying for an exemption (such as immediate family member).

This doesn't mean approval or refusal is higher than before, just that you should consider possibility TRV will just be delayed as long as covid travel restrictions are in effect.

I don't have the references to hand to show this. But at any rate even if you got the TRV tomorrow, you cannot use it to travel under the covid rules in effect right now. This is the current reality and a fact.

Hope this helps in terms of understanding why it might be delayed, although I can't say for certain.
Thank you, Armourned, I will patiently wait, as it’s the only thing I can do now. Thank you very much!

Cytus51

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
I would strongly recommend against getting married on your first trip together, especially if there is an age gap. But ultimately your choice.

Getting married during your first in person visit will make it much more likely that IRCC will suspect a marriage of convenience.
Thank you, this information really is useful. I will discuss with my partner about this.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you, this information really values a lot. I will discuss with my partner about this.
And I’m very concerned....
How big is your age gap?

How long have you been in a relationship and when did you first meet?

Do you have any shared assets, bank accounts, etc.?

What country are you from?

Cytus51

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
How big is your age gap?

I'm from China, we have known each other for longer than two and a half years, but started our relationship only since last year. We don’t share any assets together, but we can arrange that.

Cytus51

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
How big is your age gap?

Now I’m really worried about our future...
Maybe it’s time to set up things and prepare.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm from China, we have known each other for longer than two and a half years, but started our relationship only since last year. We don’t share any assets together, but we can arrange that.
Age gap?

Cytus51

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
Hi, I missed that question, sorry! I’m 34, and he’s 65. We started our relationship simply because we were attracted to each other, it might be very difficult to understand, I get it. I wonder how to make this reasonable to the VO.