+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning return after getting PRTD

ski

Nov 20, 2013
Hello all,

My wife received her passport request a few days back for a PRTD application. We have until Jan 11, 2023 to submit her passport. Since we are leaving for vacation in a few days, we plan to send the passport to the VAC (Dusseldorf since we are in Germany) in the first few days of January. With this, we need to plan our return to Canada. A few questions:

1. We didn't specifically ask for a multiple entry visa or for any particular duration. Any idea how long a PRTD is valid? If it is valid till end of 2023, that would be ideal to plan our return. On the other hand, if we get only say three months, it might be a bit of a rush, as we both have to give notice in our jobs.
2. If the PRTD is valid for only say three months, and we are unable to return in time, will there be a problem with a second PRTD application? Will the scrutiny increase?
3. If we do manage to rush back to Canada, can we apply for a PR card immediately? She met her RO on the basis of accompanying a citizen and not on H&C grounds.
4. I was looking at the new PR card application, and it is the same form as a PRTD except that we now select the PR part. Do we need to provide proof of residence in Canada such as a rental property with a lease agreement with her name on it or a driver's licence? The reason for this question is, because if such address proof is needed, I could go first to rent an apartment.

Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

My wife received her passport request a few days back for a PRTD application. We have until Jan 11, 2023 to submit her passport. Since we are leaving for vacation in a few days, we plan to send the passport to the VAC (Dusseldorf since we are in Germany) in the first few days of January. With this, we need to plan our return to Canada. A few questions:

1. We didn't specifically ask for a multiple entry visa or for any particular duration. Any idea how long a PRTD is valid? If it is valid till end of 2023, that would be ideal to plan our return. On the other hand, if we get only say three months, it might be a bit of a rush, as we both have to give notice in our jobs.
2. If the PRTD is valid for only say three months, and we are unable to return in time, will there be a problem with a second PRTD application? Will the scrutiny increase?
3. If we do manage to rush back to Canada, can we apply for a PR card immediately? She met her RO on the basis of accompanying a citizen and not on H&C grounds.
4. I was looking at the new PR card application, and it is the same form as a PRTD except that we now select the PR part. Do we need to provide proof of residence in Canada such as a rental property with a lease agreement with her name on it or a driver's licence? The reason for this question is, because if such address proof is needed, I could go first to rent an apartment.

Thanks in advance.
Impossible to say what the length of the PRTD will be. If you specified you are planning on returning to Canada to live likely around 6 months. If you specified that you wanted the PRTD to visit family every year as the spouse of a Canadian you may have gotten a longer multiple entry PRTD. Your spouse can apply for PR card on arrival. You will need to include the same information as with the PRTD to prove that she has been accompanying her Canadian spouse abroad. She needs to be in Canada to apply for PR card. It will likely take multiple months. You can always update your file once you have your permanent Canadian address.

Reactions: ski

ski

Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for the response. I guess we can only plan after we get the PRTD and see what that is. If they have given her a PRTD on the grounds of accompanying a citizen, that should theoretically be given again as long as the condition is still valid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the response. I guess we can only plan after we get the PRTD and see what that is. If they have given her a PRTD on the grounds of accompanying a citizen, that should theoretically be given again as long as the condition is still valid.
She should be able to get a PRTD but it is hard to guess the length, whether it is multi-entry, etc. Once you relocate to Canada you can apply for a PR card so the PRTD will not be an issue.

Reactions: ski

AmitMah1

Dec 19, 2022
Hi canuck78,

I have received my PRTD on H+C grounds because I didn’t meet the residency requirements (to qualify for regular approval). When do you think I should apply for the PR card? Immediately after I arrive in Canada or a few months later? While applying for the PR card, would I be required to submit all documents again, those that I submitted while applying for the PRTD?

Kindly advise.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi canuck78,

I have received my PRTD on H+C grounds because I didn’t meet the residency requirements (to qualify for regular approval). When do you think I should apply for the PR card? Immediately after I arrive in Canada or a few months later? While applying for the PR card, would I be required to submit all documents again, those that I submitted while applying for the PRTD?

Kindly advise.

Thanks
Does your PRTD have code RC-1? If so yes you can apply for PR card when you return to Canada. I would make sure that you meet your RO in the future. If you have passed the first 5 years you must meet the 730 days within the last 5 years n oany day.

AmitMah1

Dec 19, 2022
Thanks canuck78. How about the documents required for the PR card application? Do I need to include those that I had sent while applying for the PRTD?

Kindly advise.

Thanks again.

ski

Nov 20, 2013
She should be able to get a PRTD but it is hard to guess the length, whether it is multi-entry, etc. Once you relocate to Canada you can apply for a PR card so the PRTD will not be an issue.
Actually, we expected the PRTD to either get rejected or a long processing time with them asking for additional documents. Next time, we will plan to leave soon after we receive PRTD.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Actually, we expected the PRTD to either get rejected or a long processing time with them asking for additional documents. Next time, we will plan to leave soon after we receive PRTD.
If you have both lived in Canada after she received her PR and then moved abroad then qualifying for PRTD should never be an issue.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks canuck78. How about the documents required for the PR card application? Do I need to include those that I had sent while applying for the PRTD?

Kindly advise.

Thanks again.
Some of the same documents will be required. Just read through the application. You should plan on remaining in Canada for up to 730 days upon your return if it has been over 5 years since you initially landed as a PR. To remain compliant with your PR how many days you need to remain in Canada will depend on how much time you have spent in Canada in the past 5 years. After you pass the first 5 years you must be present for 730 days in the past 5 years on any day to be compliant with your R0. If you have received PRTD based on H&C once it is in your best interest to try to be compliant with your RO going forward.