+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning for studies in Canada with my spouse.

Sunita_Khary

Aug 17, 2018
Hi Team,

I have few questions for myself and spouse. My husband is in USA (H1b) and I am in India preparing for IELTS for universities in Canada. I will apply for universities from beginning of October and may receive admissions only after few months (ie) by End of Feb 2019 as an example.

1) When can I come to Canada after receiving confirmation letter (admission) from the university?
2) Can I bring my husband with me while I am coming to Canada? If yes, does he need to apply for dependent visa or any other visa?
3) Since he is resigning his job in USA and coming to Canada with me, he needs to find a work a work asap. Can my husband work in any company in spouse sponsored visa?
4) My husband is a manager in software company (Non-Tech). Does he have a scope in Canada?

Thanks,
Sunita

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Spouses are not guaranteed a visa to accompany international students. You will have to apply and see. If he gets a visa he would only be able to work after your studies have started. If he is a manager in a software company have you looked into applying for PR via one of the economic programs? You can enter Canada after you get a study permit but you will be questioned about why you are entering so early, what you are planning to do and how you will support yourself while not being able to work or study. Think you should see if you are granted a study permit first. Given that you seem to be older and your husband has a good job in the US you will have to convince CIC that you are a genuine student.

Sunita_Khary

Aug 17, 2018
So how is job market for people with 4+ years of experience as engineer (software)? Is software manager/IT Manager/ or any other manager is in more demand in Canada?