+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning for first time- Calgary! What all things to take care of?

Ankurd

Star Member
Aug 13, 2018
Hello All,
Hope everyone is doing good. I have received my COPR, booked my tickets and travelling on July, 2019 last week. As many, this is my first time and I don't have any one in Calgary. Can you please help me where should I stay so that it convenient to get transport and where are the offices available. Also looking for a cheap accommodation. Please suggest. Thank you in advance.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I’m originally from Calgary. Here’s a map of the LRT system aka trains . Search for rentals close to the corresponding Station names .
What offices ? Like business offices ? The majority of the business offices for Calgary are downtown, though there are some satellite office areas sprouting in the city I saw the last time I was out there. I think they were primarily in the south part of the city. It is not the same as a very large city, such as Toronto, where there is downtown, then midtown, then uptown. or like in Vancouver, Montreal. Offices tend to be centred in the CBD

http://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/content/PDF/2016_ctrainmap.pdf

Last edited:

ferysonu

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
Calgary, CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CIO-Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
Feb 12, 2016
Doc's Request.
Feb 12, 2016
Nomination.....
Nov 18, 2016 and Applied to Federal on Dec 19, 2016 (Re-Applied on June 27, 2017)
AOR Received.
Feb 09, 2017 (Aug 29, 2017)
IELTS Request
Submitted Along with Application
File Transfer...
To continue processing your application, you must link your application to an online account."
Med's Request
March 5, 2018
Med's Done....
Completed
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
22-Mar-2019 and sent on 23-Mar-2019
VISA ISSUED...
3-Apr-2019
LANDED..........
04-Apr-2019
Hello All,
Hope everyone is doing good. I have received my COPR, booked my tickets and travelling on July, 2019 last week. As many, this is my first time and I don't have any one in Calgary. Can you please help me where should I stay so that it convenient to get transport and where are the offices available. Also looking for a cheap accommodation. Please suggest. Thank you in advance.

It depends where do you want to stay and where are you from, and if any school going children, better to be close to school than office as we adults can cope distance but kids for sure. if any help let me know i will send my email in private.

Reactions: Ankurd

Ankurd

Star Member
Aug 13, 2018
It depends where do you want to stay and where are you from, and if any school going children, better to be close to school than office as we adults can cope distance but kids for sure. if any help let me know i will send my email in private.
I am coming from India. Currently Single and looking for a accommodation probably near to the Oil and Gas Offices..

ferysonu

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
Calgary, CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CIO-Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
Feb 12, 2016
Doc's Request.
Feb 12, 2016
Nomination.....
Nov 18, 2016 and Applied to Federal on Dec 19, 2016 (Re-Applied on June 27, 2017)
AOR Received.
Feb 09, 2017 (Aug 29, 2017)
IELTS Request
Submitted Along with Application
File Transfer...
To continue processing your application, you must link your application to an online account."
Med's Request
March 5, 2018
Med's Done....
Completed
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
22-Mar-2019 and sent on 23-Mar-2019
VISA ISSUED...
3-Apr-2019
LANDED..........
04-Apr-2019
I am coming from India. Currently Single and looking for a accommodation probably near to the Oil and Gas Offices..
Downtown would be the best bet

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Any other province, where I should be looking for oil and gas jobs and probability is more
No, Alberta is the big O&G producer in Canada. It's hard to say whether you'll get a job or not, but come and try! You have your COPR, so complete your landing and become a PR.

There are lots of opportunities in Canada, and it can also be very difficult to make ends meet. Everyone's experience is unique.

What I can say for sure is that most Canadians (99.99%) are very very nice people and very welcoming to immigrants. Of course there are a few odd exceptions here and there, but in general people are very nice to newcomers and go out of their way to help you out when they learn that you just arrived here. This starts from small things like opening a bank account and getting a SIN number.

Good luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Any other province, where I should be looking for oil and gas jobs and probability is more
Not really but I would do some research about the current state of the oil and gas industry in Canada. There have been significant layoffs over the past 4 years with no signs that things will bounce back so getting a job in the sector will be extremely challenging. Companies are more likely to hire back some of the workers they have laid off versus a new worker without Canadian experience. Not trying to be too negative but you really need to do a lot more research so you have realistic expectations and savings if it takes a long time to find employment in oil and gas. Would be open to work in other sectors.

Ankurd

Star Member
Aug 13, 2018
No, Alberta is the big O&G producer in Canada. It's hard to say whether you'll get a job or not, but come and try! You have your COPR, so complete your landing and become a PR.

There are lots of opportunities in Canada, and it can also be very difficult to make ends meet. Everyone's experience is unique.

What I can say for sure is that most Canadians (99.99%) are very very nice people and very welcoming to immigrants. Of course there are a few odd exceptions here and there, but in general people are very nice to newcomers and go out of their way to help you out when they learn that you just arrived here. This starts from small things like opening a bank account and getting a SIN number.

Good luck!
Thank you for the information..So nice to hear so many nice things..

Ankurd

Star Member
Aug 13, 2018
Not really but I would do some research about the current state of the oil and gas industry in Canada. There have been significant layoffs over the past 4 years with no signs that things will bounce back so getting a job in the sector will be extremely challenging. Companies are more likely to hire back some of the workers they have laid off versus a new worker without Canadian experience. Not trying to be too negative but you really need to do a lot more research so you have realistic expectations and savings if it takes a long time to find employment in oil and gas. Would be open to work in other sectors.
Thank you for the heads up..yes I'm open to various other sectors too. I just had oil and gas eexperienc so trying to get information for this sector

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the heads up..yes I'm open to various other sectors too. I just had oil and gas eexperienc so trying to get information for this sector
I would start researching and even considering other cities depending on your education and work experience.

Reactions: Ankurd