+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Plain and simple question

bhavin_business

Star Member
Sep 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I have come on student visa and in Toronto right now. I will finish my 1 year study in December, completing my 4 months co-op internship right now. They have offered me full time position. Should I take the intership considering I will only get 1 year work visa and CEC will be very difficult then or should I take 1 year study more and get 3 year work visa, in which I am letting my job go?

Please advise me.

Thanks

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
I had a 1 year work permit and I worked from day 1. Yes it's tough but it's possible.

Depends on your budget and time mate! If you have enough money for another round of studies, then by all means, why not study more?
But if you have a limited budget and you want to start making money, then don't miss your job offer. You can most definitely fill a one year experience.

Best of luck,

bhavin_business

Star Member
Sep 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How was it like? Really tough? Is it possible?
Is there a very high risk? Did you apply for bridge work permit then?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
bhavin_business said:
Hi,

I have come on student visa and in Toronto right now. I will finish my 1 year study in December, completing my 4 months co-op internship right now. They have offered me full time position. Should I take the intership considering I will only get 1 year work visa and CEC will be very difficult then or should I take 1 year study more and get 3 year work visa, in which I am letting my job go?
Keep in mind that under current rules for PGWPs, if you want to combine 2 one-year programs, the 2nd program must lead to a Master's degree. If that's what you want, by all means, go for it.

I'm not sure why exactly you think that CEC will be harder - it will be harder for some, no doubt, but easier for others. Also, don't underestimate the value of a supportive employer -

bhavin_business

Star Member
Sep 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
Keep in mind that under current rules for PGWPs, if you want to combine 2 one-year programs, the 2nd program must lead to a Master's degree. If that's what you want, by all means, go for it.

I'm not sure why exactly you think that CEC will be harder - it will be harder for some, no doubt, but easier for others. Also, don't underestimate the value of a supportive employer -
Masters program? Is it official? I didn't hear about it anywhere. Can you tell me more about it please?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

Under "Work permit issuance and validity"

If students who obtained a one-year graduate degree or diploma from an eligible institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, another diploma or degree from an eligible institution in Canada, then the duration of the work permit may be up to 3 three years.

bhavin_business

Star Member
Sep 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jes_ON

So that means if Get another 1 year degree/diploma withing 2 years of another degree/diploma I get 3 years work permit. Where does it say it needs to be masters?

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
This is what i have done and i believe you could do the same.. i graduated in May 2013 but i had off campus work permit valid till 31st August 2013.. thus i started working on OCWP at the start of july 2013.. and end of july i applied for PGWP which was issued 20th of Aug-13.. so my status changed from OCWP to PGWP.. then in july 2014 after one year i applied for my PR.. my PGWP was expiring 20th August 2014... i didnt have my AOR by then so i applied for paper based bridging open work permit on 19th Aug.. i got my AOR start of oct and end of oct i got my bridging work permit as well..

if u didnt have a job offer i would hv suggested to study some more... but since u alrdy have an offer u can start working right away after graduation on OCWP which will count towards CEC experience.. saves you around $20k of tuition and expenses.. if u have OCWP i suggest work on that and then when its about to expire apply for PGWP a week or so before OCWP expires...

bhavin_business

Star Member
Sep 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mesumrizvi said:
This is what i have done and i believe you could do the same.. i graduated in May 2013 but i had off campus work permit valid till 31st August 2013.. thus i started working on OCWP at the start of july 2013.. and end of july i applied for PGWP which was issued 20th of Aug-13.. so my status changed from OCWP to PGWP.. then in july 2014 after one year i applied for my PR.. my PGWP was expiring 20th August 2014... i didnt have my AOR by then so i applied for paper based bridging open work permit on 19th Aug.. i got my AOR start of oct and end of oct i got my bridging work permit as well..

if u didnt have a job offer i would hv suggested to study some more... but since u alrdy have an offer u can start working right away after graduation on OCWP which will count towards CEC experience.. saves you around $20k of tuition and expenses.. if u have OCWP i suggest work on that and then when its about to expire apply for PGWP a week or so before OCWP expires...
That was the best and clear response I have got on this topic. Thanks so much, makes it so much clear now. Please check your inbox.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
bhavin_business said:
So that means if Get another 1 year degree/diploma withing 2 years of another degree/diploma I get 3 years work permit. Where does it say it needs to be masters?
"graduate degree" is master's (or PhD).

mesumrizvi's suggestion is good.