+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Place of Birth on Canadian Passport

amit191083

Aug 21, 2023
Hi Friends,

Please help with below query regarding Place of birth difference between Indian passport vs Canadian Passport.
Indian Passport (Place of Birth): Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
Canadian Passport (Place of Birth): Lucknow Uttar Pra IND

I need to apply for Indian OCI so want to understand would this be an issue as Place of Birth is trimmed on Canadian Passport.
If so what can be done in this case?

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi Friends,

Please help with below query regarding Place of birth difference between Indian passport vs Canadian Passport.

I need to apply for Indian OCI so want to understand would this be an issue as Place of Birth is trimmed on Canadian Passport.
I fail to see the issue here..

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi Friends,

There was no need to add UP in your place of birth for Canadian passport.
I am not sure whether you need affidavit for it as Lucknow is properly mentioned.

@abbas.pasha would know better.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am not sure whether you need affidavit for it as Lucknow is properly mentioned.

Bhai tunday kabab ke yaad dila dee Lucknow naam se :p
@amit191083 are you sure Uttar Pradesh is mentioned on the Canadian Passport ? They usually mention city/place of birth naaki state in the Canadian passport

amit191083

Aug 21, 2023
Yes, unfortunately they did. I had city, State on my Indian passport and I copied the same on the canadian Passport form. They tried to copy as well and since their character limit was not enough for the field, they trimmed Uttar Pradesh to Uttar Pra. Not sure if an notarized affidavit would be good enough for BLS.

amit191083

Aug 21, 2023

Yes, I believe on OCI form we just have to mention City only, however BLS people try to match the entire content with both City and State. Also you must know how hard it is to deal with BLS and explain the difference. for them it should match word to word else not accepted.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Yes, unfortunately they did. I had city, State on my Indian passport and I copied the same on the canadian Passport form. They tried to copy as well and since their character limit was not enough for the field, they trimmed Uttar Pradesh to Uttar Pra. Not sure if an notarized affidavit would be good enough for BLS.
Didn't BLS point the issue out at the time of SC ?

Dont have a very clear answer to you query.
I would suggest you to pay the $100 premium service of BLS and get the form corrected accordingly.

Or Else go back to Passport Canada and get a new passport with City of Birth as Lucknow only.

amit191083

Aug 21, 2023
Didn't BLS point the issue out at the time of SC ?

Dont have a very clear answer to you query.
I would suggest you to pay the $100 premium service of BLS and get the form corrected accordingly.

Or Else go back to Passport Canada and get a new passport with City of Birth as Lucknow only.
They accepted the surrender application. Just wondering even I go for Premium service, would BLS fill the form accordingly or they can send back asking for passport update and still charge for premium service? Di you know if premium service is charged only if application is accepted.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
They accepted the surrender application. Just wondering even I go for Premium service, would BLS fill the form accordingly or they can send back asking for passport update and still charge for premium service? Di you know if premium service is charged only if application is accepted.
I don’t know tbh