Nomination.....
Yes
Passport Req..
15-12-16
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-16
LANDED..........
30-12-16
Hi guys! I was in Canada on a valid temporary resident status from 2014-2016 but I was not working and has no income during that time. Can I still be able to claim that towards my physical presence, please guide if anybody did it and how about the tax for those years ?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
You can claim those days, but the onus is on you to prove you were here if IRCC asks for it.

hanuz06

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
Hi guys! I was in Canada on a valid temporary resident status from 2014-2016 but I was not working and has no income during that time. Can I still be able to claim that towards my physical presence, please guide if anybody did it and how about the tax for those years ?
Only time in the last 5 years will be counted. You also should have tax filing report (Option C) for the time you have been here.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Only time in the last 5 years will be counted. You also should have tax filing report (Option C) for the time you have been here.
1. Not quite right. If you weren't required to file taxes, in some years, you dind't have to file. For the tax question, the answers would be No and No.

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
If you were on TRV then you were not supposed to file any taxes anyways because generally you don't have work rights on TRV (excluding any exceptions, if there are any).

Once you become PR and living in Canada then you must file taxes even on zero income. Now, suppose you are applying in May 2019 then your last 5 years would be counted from May 2014 to May 2019. If you were on TRV from 2014 to 2016 then those days ( physical presence days only) will be counted as half days. PPC will take everything into consideration ( TR days and PR days ) and will give you the exact no. Of days provided you put the dates correctly.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Once you become PR and living in Canada then you must file taxes even on zero income.
NOT necessarily true. Not even close.

@PMM gets it right:

1. Not quite right. If you weren't required to file taxes, in some years, you dind't have to file. For the tax question, the answers would be No and No.
That said:

There are advantages to filing even if it is not required, especially for someone with zero income (access to certain benefits).

But the rules governing who "MUST" file will typically (albeit not always) NOT include someone with zero income.

For *WHO MUST FILE* information, see the CRA website. (This forum has been particularly inundated with misleading and oft times outright erroneous information about tax filing obligations in Canada . . . CRA is the right source for information about this . . . or perhaps there are some tax forums which are reliable. This forum is NOT a reliable source of information about who must file a tax return or what taxes must be paid on what funds, income or otherwise.)

SEE:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/you-have-file-a-return.html

Reactions: snoopyta

masudrabby

Sep 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Refused
LANDED..........
ALLAHU AKBAR
Hi I have passed 3 years Canada after getting PR. Now if I want to apply for citizenship then do I need police clearance from my home country.? Because more than 187 days of last 4 years is passed in home country before I came to Canada as PR. I gave police certificate then for that time. Will that same certificate work now or I have to take police clearance again from home.Or will I wait 6 months more to apply for citizenship?

hanuz06

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
Hi I have passed 3 years Canada after getting PR. Now if I want to apply for citizenship then do I need police clearance from my home country.? Because more than 187 days of last 4 years is passed in home country before I came to Canada as PR. I gave police certificate then for that time. Will that same certificate work now or I have to take police clearance again from home.Or will I wait 6 months more to apply for citizenship?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

"Note: If you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four year period, you are NOT required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box." So if you didn't visit your home country ever since then you do not need police certificate. You need just put a note in your application.

Reactions: masudrabby

masudrabby

Sep 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Refused
LANDED..........
ALLAHU AKBAR
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

"Note: If you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four year period, you are NOT required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box." So if you didn't visit your home country ever since then you do not need police certificate. You need just put a note in your application.
Thank you very much.