+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical residency requirements for maintaining PR status (outside of canada)

yogimukti

Star Member
Aug 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO (New Delhi)
App. Filed.......
November 7th 2016
AOR Received.
SA approval on 30th November 2016. AOR2 on 12th December 2016
Med's Done....
Upfront (8th October 2016)
Passport Req..
27-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-08-2017
LANDED..........
25-08-2017
My situation is as follows:
1 - I am a canadian citizen and my wife is PR currently.
2 - I am planning to move back to India for some personal reasons and mostly I will find a job there only. (No canadian business or government)
3 - My wife will be working with Indian government mostly after returning back to India.
4 - My wife has completed 1 year of residency and her PR will be expired in august 2022

Now I understand that my wife has to serve minimum 2 years in canada to maintain PR for next 5 years.
But I heard that as I am canadian citizen my spouse's residency outside of canada will be counted (as she will be staying with me)

Is it correct ?
If YES is there valid reference ? (CIC website link probably)
If NO what are my best options ?

Experts please share your inputs. Truly appreciate !

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Read following link and note the guidance about maintaining documentation to support the RO which would be needed should her PR card expire or be lost or having to apply for a PRTD.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html#appendixA

Whilst accompanying you as a citizen is fine for PR status it does not count towards a citizenship application.

Also note that your wife’s PR card cannot be renewed from outside Canada when the time comes , she would need a PRTD to travel hence the need to keep good records.

Last edited:
Reactions: yogimukti

yogimukti

Star Member
Aug 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO (New Delhi)
App. Filed.......
November 7th 2016
AOR Received.
SA approval on 30th November 2016. AOR2 on 12th December 2016
Med's Done....
Upfront (8th October 2016)
Passport Req..
27-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-08-2017
LANDED..........
25-08-2017
Read following link and note the guidance about maintaining documentation to support the RO which would be needed should her PR card expire or be lost or having to apply for a PRTD.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html#appendixA

Whilst accompanying you as a citizen is fine for PR status it does not count towards a citizenship application.

Also note that your wife’s PR card cannot be renewed from outside Canada when the time comes , she would need a PRTD to travel hence the need to keep good records.
Great.
So if I understand you correctly then just to maintain the PR status the days spent with me (I meant with canadian citizen outside of Canada) will count towards her residency.
we can manage travelling in between for vacations to Canada for renewing the PR card during end of her 5 year period.
And it does not matter whether I am working for canadian employer/business or not , right ?

The only downside is if she decides to apply for citizenship application it wont count.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Great.
So if I understand you correctly then just to maintain the PR status the days spent with me (I meant with canadian citizen outside of Canada) will count towards her residency.
we can manage travelling in between for vacations to Canada for renewing the PR card during end of her 5 year period.
And it does not matter whether I am working for canadian employer/business or not , right ?

The only downside is if she decides to apply for citizenship application it wont count.
Correct.