+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical Presence Please Help

bringiton

May 25, 2014
Hello. I need help in Physical Presence Calculator.

I landed as PR on 10th April 2016 and not been back to my home country since then. My eligibility starts from
25th April 2014 to 25th April 2019.

Since I became PR on 10th April 2016, So the time period between 25th April 2014 to 9th April 2014, I was Resident Permit of Saudi and made frequent trips to India. Do I have to include that all? If yes, how should I write it? It says, date left Canada and entered Canada?? I never traveled to Canada prior to becoming Permanent Resident.

My 2nd Question is: I traveled from Saudi to India 10 times during 2014. How should I mention this on the physical calculator?? ( I am an Indian citizen and stayed in Saudi as a Worker Status)

Please help. or someone faced this situation before...?????

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You don't need to include trips you made before you landed as a PR. Simply fill out any trips you've made between 10 April 2016 and 25 April 2019. The system will calculate the days and tell you if you're eligible.

Since you say you made zero trips outside Canada from 10 April 2016 - today, the system will tell you that you are eligible with 1,111 days. It starts the calculation from the day you became a PR.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Just to be clear, if you had been in Canada before you were a PR (say as a student or on a work visa or whatever), you would have needed to include trips you made on that status.

However, since you never set foot in Canada till you became a PR, and then never stepped out, it's a very simple calculation. Congratulations! You're eligible to be a citizen!

bringiton

May 25, 2014
Thank you @21Goose. I was also searching for other posts similar to my situation. I see conflicting information. What i read was people have declared their time outside Canada even before their PR period( No temporary Status before whatsoever) .. I am still confused. Please lend me a wall where i can bang my head to.

Reactions: brandon.smith

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you @21Goose. I was also searching for other posts similar to my situation. I see conflicting information. What i read was people have declared their time outside Canada even before their PR period( No temporary Status before whatsoever) .. I am still confused. Please lend me a wall where i can bang my head to.
Nah, don't worry about that. Obviously you can't have left Canada if you never entered it! Canada doesn't care about your trips when you have absolutely no connection to the country.

People declare time before PR when they were here on a student/work/other visa. In that case, you get 1/2 a day for every day you stayed (up to one year, I believe). In your case, none of that applies.

Don't be confused and go ahead and submit your application

Cloud83

Aug 22, 2014
Far as I can tell you are supposed to put everything within the 5 year period regardless of PR status. When you do this any dates that were before the PR date get calculated/listed in the calculator as 0 days out of the country.

Reactions: jc94 and k300k3

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Either way appears to work.

Neither the application form nor the presence calculator are a test. IRCC is not focused on technicalities.

Sure, the better the applicant actually follows the instructions the better the impression made, the lower the risk of things going off the rails. But honest information, which is as accurate and as complete as practically possible, and which is reasonably responsive to what is asked, generally works. It is the information that matters.

Some particular elements in the application, and in what IRCC demands in order to consider an application complete, may seem like a technicality, but these are really substantive matters. Like gaps in address or work history. Like failing to include a police certificate if the applicant checks "yes" in response to item 10.b in current application CIT 0002 (02-2019).

Thus, for example, where an applicant was NOT in Canada at all prior to landing, but the landing was less than five years prior to applying, REGARDLESS how one approaches this in the presence calculator, the applicant SHOULD still enter address and work history for the FULL FIVE years of the eligibility period. But, even as to this, the only question is whether or not the application gets a pass in the completeness screening. If it gets a pass in the completeness check, despite leaving out the first year or so of the eligibility period in address or work history, it will be OK. The caveat is that it might not get a pass in the completeness check, and might be returned as incomplete.

The key is to follow the instructions as best one understands them, populating the fields with honest responses which are, again, as accurate and as complete as practically possible, according to YOUR own best understanding.

As long as the information entered is accurate and makes sense, and passes the completeness screening, IRCC figures it out. They get it. They've seen a thing or two, a million or two applications.

Reactions: k.h.p.

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
You need to put those trips (before entering Canada) in physical presence calculator. You must put them because the eligibility period is 5 years prior to the citizenship application date. But the online calculator will show “0 days” .

For example, I lived in the US before coming to Canada and I put the US in my physical presence calculator but once you hit the calculation, it automatically shows the days in the US prior to coming to Canada as “0” days outside of Canada.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
You need to put those trips (before entering Canada) in physical presence calculator. You must put them because the eligibility period is 5 years prior to the citizenship application date. But the online calculator will show “0 days” .

For example, I lived in the US before coming to Canada and I put the US in my physical presence calculator but once you hit the calculation, it automatically shows the days in the US prior to coming to Canada as “0” days outside of Canada.
This is what I did. For the sake of 2 minutes to add a block of time from the 5 year date to Canada entry, that shows up as zero would seem to be logical to me.

Reactions: k300k3

bringiton

May 25, 2014
Ok. So what should i write in my case.
My eligibility starts from
25th April 2014 to 25th April 2019.

PR on 11th April 2016. No temporary status in Canada Before. Straight Landing as PR

Days before PR

Example : So I went from Saudi( Worker Permit Saudi) To India from 12th May 2015 to 31st May 2015 for Vacations

Destination: Saudi or India??

Date left Canada- 12th May 2015
Day entered Canada- 31st May 2015

Reason:

Traveled India on Vacation from 12th May 2015 to 31st May 2015.

What should be writing on destination and reason> Why the hell, date left Canada and date entered Canada??

Please Please help. Senior and Star Members please input your comments and feedback. This will help many new already confused people like me.

bringiton

May 25, 2014
Any good samaritan wants to chip in and volunteer your thoughts on my scenario. In returns, I would only wish you well and prayers to your loved and departed ones.

Cloud83

Aug 22, 2014
In the calculator it says, "If you visited more than one country during the same absence, list the first country in 'Destination' and list the other countries in the 'Reason' field."

brandon.smith

Mar 22, 2016
I am also under the same situation. Lot of different views by different people. Some people say to put the time before Permanent Residence and some say dont.. What exactly is the right way. Anybody who were under same scenario and application went through with no hassles?

Reactions: bringiton