+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical Presence in Canada

mbv747

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm traveling frequently to US for business Trips and i would like to know if being in Canada few hours within the day will be counted.
Example:

- Flight to us on Sunday at 7 pm and return to Canada in Tuesday at 11pm.

It will be counted as i have been only 1 day ( Monday) outside the country?

Thank you
Cheers

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm traveling frequently to US for business Trips and i would like to know if being in Canada few hours within the day will be counted.
Example:

- Flight to us on Sunday at 7 pm and return to Canada in Tuesday at 11pm.

It will be counted as i have been only 1 day ( Monday) outside the country?

Thank you
Cheers
As @k.h.p. observed, if any part of the day was IN Canada, that day counts as a day present in Canada.

I am posting, however, having sometimes spent more than a little time in the air circling Pearson before landing, and then it taking a good while longer to reach the gate, and even then occasionally having to wait some before deplaning. An 11 p.m. landing time does NOT mean an individual has yet returned to Canada. A traveler is NOT IN Canada until the customs and border control process is complete. So, if you do not get through the CBSA control until one minute after midnight, the date of return is that date, the date it is after midnight. And that is the date the CBSA travel history will most likely show.

For the vast majority the difference is insignificant. It can matter, however, for --
-- anyone applying with a minimal margin above the required presence
-- those who travel frequently enough there may be numerous such instances
-- those whose circumstances otherwise might invite elevated scrutiny of travel dates, such as having other mistakes in the travel history (isolated, minor discrepancies should be no big deal; but multiple mistakes can trigger questions and concerns)​

Reactions: mbv747 and k.h.p.