11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
I landed 19-05-2017 so should my answer to the below question be "Yes" or "No" since i was not a resident before 19 May ?

Also if i select "Yes" , it will ask for the Date i left Canada which i wasnt here in the first place

Did you leave Canada between 2015-06-01 and 2020-06-01? Answer 'Yes' if you left Canada for any reason including vacation, work, business, family matters, school, illness, etc.

Note that 1 June is the date i will be signing the application

Any input please?
Thank you

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I landed 19-05-2017 so should my answer to the below question be "Yes" or "No" since i was not a resident before 19 May ?

Also if i select "Yes" , it will ask for the Date i left Canada which i wasnt here in the first place

Did you leave Canada between 2015-06-01 and 2020-06-01? Answer 'Yes' if you left Canada for any reason including vacation, work, business, family matters, school, illness, etc.

Note that 1 June is the date i will be signing the application

Any input please?
Thank you
It is OK to respond [No], did NOT leave Canada IF it is accurate to say that you NEVER LEFT Canada in the five year eligibility period. Not because you were not resident in Canada prior to the date of landing, but because you were not IN Canada at all and thus did not EXIT Canada.

There are alternative approaches. NO need to wrestle with them. IRCC easily figures these things out.

MARGIN SUGGESTION:

It appears you plan to sign and submit the application with about a ten day margin over the minimum. That for sure meets the requirements. And that is also consistent with what many forum participants suggest is OK. I lean heavily toward a THIRTY day minimum margin over the requirement. I lean toward not just for-sure meeting the requirement, but toward having enough of a margin that the total stranger bureaucrats who review and evaluate your application feel comfortable concluding the applicant has in fact met the requirement without having to look more closely, that is, without having to engage in any non-routine processing or inquiries.

Reason for my view: most applicants prefer to be scheduled for the oath sooner rather than later. Any non-routine processing, even the least intrusive or disruptive, smallest impact on the timeline, non-routine processing, will easily delay the path to the oath more than a month. And potentially significantly longer. Waiting to apply a little longer can often result in actually taking the oath, actually becoming a citizen sooner.

AND THIS YEAR, RIGHT NOW . . . it appears that IRCC is not even processing non-essential matters, and it appears citizenship applications are considered non-essential. So, for at least a few more weeks, perhaps a few months, the odds are that newly submitted applications will sit in a backlog. Applying sooner right now probably, most likely, will NOT help get to the oath sooner.

ADDITIONALLY, contrary to what many might think, no travel abroad at all does NOT make a stronger case. Actual influence, of not having traveled at all, will vary widely, of course, depending on the individual, including the individual's background. For example, a person from the U.S. claiming she did not travel abroad at all for three plus years is very likely to trigger some doubt if not outright skepticism. As in "really? Not one trip to the states?" Somewhat similarly for anyone holding a passport which is visa-exempt for travel to the U.S. Whereas, in contrast, immigrants from some parts of the world would have more difficulty engaging in international travel and thus the absence of any travel, no travel to visit family for example, would not arouse a "really?" reaction by the total stranger bureaucrat who is evaluating the application.

Note, after all, dates of exit and dates of entry are direct evidence of the immigrants presence in Canada those days. And a pattern of travel abroad consistent with the immigrant's personal life tends to make a stronger impression, to present a picture of a life that makes sense.

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
That's some good advise, i will definitely push the date by a month or two
Thank you for clarifying :)

starzz_101

Jan 18, 2020
I am getting ready to apply for citizenship and I have a few things I am not sure about. Can you please assist I would be very grateful.
I have a question about Physical Presence calculator. I landed as a PR in Canada in Oct 2014. I then went back home and returned in June 2017 where I have been living in Canada since. My 5 year eligibility period for citizenship is ( july 2015 -july 2020)
My question is during my absence from Canada within the eligibility period (july 2015 - june 2017) I lived in My home country. I took one vacation to the USA for one week during this time. Do I have to mention this vacation to the US as I was already out of Canada.

I am asking because i saw there was a note saying if you visited more than one country during your absence you should state it in the reason section. However I did not mention this when I renewed my PR last year so I just wanted to remain consistent with the information.

Also should I put the first date i left Canada as the Dec 2014 which is when I actual left or July 2015 which is the start of the 5 year period.

Thank you