+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical Presence Calculator

Jnad

Nov 29, 2017
Hello everyone,

In the Physical Presence Calculator, it asks if I held any temporary permits before becoming PR. In my case, I used to hold study permit, off-campus work permit and co-op work permit before becoming PR. All three permits were valid by the time I became PR and even were still valid few months after of granting me the PR. I made my refugee claim while all three permits were valid.

My question is: When I enter all three permits in the calculator, do I put the expiry date for the three permits as they are shown in the permits, or I put the expiry date as the date I claimed refugee (became Refugee Claimant). I know the time as a Refugee Claimant doesn't count as .5 day credit toward the Physical Presence requirement to apply for citizenship. When I claimed refugee, does that mean my International student and off-campus and co-op permits were canceled? If so, I assume I'd have to put the expiry date for these 3 permits as the date I claimed refugee, no?

I had also received an open work permit after becoming Refugee Claimant and while I was waiting for my PR. How do I treat this in the Calculator? Do I put it in? This permit was issued while I was a Refugee Claimant and as I previously mentioned, time as Refugee Claimant doesn't give me credit. I am not sure when this permit came out, did it cancel my Refugee Claimant status and made my status Temporary worker instead at that time?

Please advise.

Thank you

AK84

Aug 11, 2011
Just want to know those who completed studies in canada and got a job before the post graduate work permit issued they were started full time job on off campus work permit.
do i put the date when i start the job as full time or i follow study permit expiry date

sweet_mahsa

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Hello everyone,

In the Physical Presence Calculator, it asks if I held any temporary permits before becoming PR. In my case, I used to hold study permit, off-campus work permit and co-op work permit before becoming PR. All three permits were valid by the time I became PR and even were still valid few months after of granting me the PR. I made my refugee claim while all three permits were valid.

My question is: When I enter all three permits in the calculator, do I put the expiry date for the three permits as they are shown in the permits, or I put the expiry date as the date I claimed refugee (became Refugee Claimant). I know the time as a Refugee Claimant doesn't count as .5 day credit toward the Physical Presence requirement to apply for citizenship. When I claimed refugee, does that mean my International student and off-campus and co-op permits were canceled? If so, I assume I'd have to put the expiry date for these 3 permits as the date I claimed refugee, no?

I had also received an open work permit after becoming Refugee Claimant and while I was waiting for my PR. How do I treat this in the Calculator? Do I put it in? This permit was issued while I was a Refugee Claimant and as I previously mentioned, time as Refugee Claimant doesn't give me credit. I am not sure when this permit came out, did it cancel my Refugee Claimant status and made my status Temporary worker instead at that time?

Please advise.

Thank you
did you end up using the the work permit time?