5 Sep 2014
File Transfer...
5 Sep 2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
IP: 5 Jan 2015. DM: 6 Feb 2015
Passport Req..
10 Feb 2015. Passport Submitted: 17 Feb 2015.
I was charged summarily for a criminal offense and subsequently given a conditional discharge with a probation for an year. There were no traveling restrictions with my probation order. The probation has ended now and I wish to apply for citizenship.

The problem is, I traveled abroad during my probation. When I enter the probation start and end dates on the calculator, it would not let me enter an absence between those dates giving an error that says: "The 'From' date you have entered falls between a date interval you have already entered for time spent serving a sentence in Canada. Please check that the dates are correct."

So my question is: since the calculator won't let me list my travels during probation, should I just not mention them? They don't matter anyways, since the time on probation doesn't count as physical presence. However, I don't want to misrepresent!

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
I was charged summarily for a criminal offense and subsequently given a conditional discharge with a probation for an year. There were no traveling restrictions with my probation order. The probation has ended now and I wish to apply for citizenship.

The problem is, I traveled abroad during my probation. When I enter the probation start and end dates on the calculator, it would not let me enter an absence between those dates giving an error that says: "The 'From' date you have entered falls between a date interval you have already entered for time spent serving a sentence in Canada. Please check that the dates are correct."

So my question is: since the calculator won't let me list my travels during probation, should I just not mention them? They don't matter anyways, since the time on probation doesn't count as physical presence. However, I don't want to misrepresent!
Firstly, you are correct you don't want to misrepresent. While point two below overwrites what I'm about to say, remember you can include a letter with your application stating certain things, mine referred to a couple of specific issues around a known flaws in the form and why one of my documents had a date on it not listed anywhere else.

Secondly, at later stages you also have to check if you've been arrested/charged etc. Given this makes your application extremely non-routine my advice for anyone in this position would be to seek legal council when applying for citizenship.

rockstar123

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Jul 2014
AOR Received.
5 Sep 2014
File Transfer...
5 Sep 2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
IP: 5 Jan 2015. DM: 6 Feb 2015
Passport Req..
10 Feb 2015. Passport Submitted: 17 Feb 2015.
I have already taken legal advice from a good immigration lawyer while I was still on probation. They told me I can apply as soon as the probation is over. Nothing really complicated, just told me to answer all the questions truthfully.

I think the best way would be to attach a letter making note of my travels during the probation

Palindrome

Apr 5, 2019

>
Hey, I'm in the same boat as you were in 2019. Did you end up getting your citizenship with the probation and travel dates overlapping?