+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical Presence Calculator - time spent before landing in Canada

sdy

Jul 22, 2014
Hello folks,

Urgent help please.

In the physical presence calculator, I have 1 year and 11 months in my eligibility period - prior to landing in Canada as immigrant.

After landing and becoming PR, there is only one trip I made outside Canada.

But my question is how do I answer my time spent prior to landing in Canada?

I was living in my home country during the time before landing in Canada as PR (1 year and 11 months). I went on vacation to few countries (not more than 2 weeks each vacation) during the same time.

Do I need to mention my vacations as well in the time spent before landing in Canada as PR? Or do I need to just mention my home country residence (1 year and 11 months) in the form. I understand any time before becoming PR/landed immigrant is counted as ZERO. However, I need clarification how to fill the form.

Thank you!

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Just list your home country there. In the explanation to the "trip", you can put something like : "living in home country. Had short vacations in Country A, B and C during that time."

sdy

Jul 22, 2014
Thank you. Do I need to mention short vacations in the explanation? I can state in explanation: living in country x before moving to Canada as a permanent resident.

sdy

Jul 22, 2014
Hello guys,

Urgent help please. Please provide suggestions if someone had similar situation..

In the physical presence calculator, I have 1 year and 11 months in my eligibility period - prior to landing in Canada as immigrant.

After landing and becoming PR, there is only one trip I made outside Canada.

But my question is how do I answer my time spent prior to landing in Canada?

I was living in my home country during the time before landing in Canada as PR (1 year and 11 months). I went on vacation to few countries (not more than 2 weeks each vacation) during the same time.

Do I need to mention my vacations as well in the time spent before landing in Canada as PR? Or do I need to just mention my home country residence (1 year and 11 months) in the form. I understand any time before becoming PR/landed immigrant is counted as ZERO. However, I need clarification how to fill the form.

Thank you!

powerstroke

Apr 9, 2018
I did not mention any trips before my landing date and didn't have any issues. My Eligibility period included about 18 months before landing.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thank you. Do I need to mention short vacations in the explanation? I can state in explanation: living in country x before moving to Canada as a permanent resident.
Need : probably not, as confirmed by the message above.
It's just for the sake of "consistency" with the fact that the calculator asks you not to list separate travels when you go from Canada to many countries at once, but to give the 1st one and list the others in the explanation.
Doesn't change much anyway :)

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
While I only had a few weeks, I listed date of eligibility to date of landing as my home country to ensure it was complete. It says 0.0 on the days calculator for those weeks. So at least some part of their form knows there is a flaw with eligibility period often being before one landed in Canada with some other immigration status.

Of course, my form is currently in Halifax on it's way to the Sydney post box :D