+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical Presence Calculation

stizmir

Sep 4, 2015
Hello there!
I am trying to start my Canadian Citizenship application.
I came to Canada as a visitor. My entry date is 24.August.2015
I applied to extend my stay and my application was approved and I was given an extension 18.May.2016 to 31.December.2016
Right before my visitor status expired I made another extension application.
While my extension application was in process, I made a refugee application on 07.March.2017
My claim was heard on 8.February.2018 and I was approved as a Convention Refugee.
I got my confirmation of PR paper on 9.July.2019
When I was given the PR paper the officer told me that I can apply in 2 years since my presence as a visitor here will be calculated up to 365 days and added to my time in Canada.

I am having a hard time to put the right dates on my application form at eservices.
Did you have Canadian temporary resident status (i.e. as a visitor, international student, temporary worker, temporary resident permit holder), and/or were a protected person) between 2016-08-09 and 2019-07-08?
Please only list the periods of time you had authorized temporary resident or protected person status in Canada and the type of status you had between 2016-08-09 and 2019-07-08 and select Add Entry. Select Calculate when you have finished listing all periods of temporary residence.

When I put the date I came into Canada which is 24.Aug.2015 - to 7.March.2017 (Refugee Claimant) it says: A period you have entered is partially or completely outside the relevant five-year period. Please check that the dates are correct.
Then if I want to add the time from the day I was approved as a convention refugee to the date I got the PR it gives an error You have not completed all mandatory fields (*) or they have not been entered correctly. Please make the necessary corrections.

When I put it as below it accepts it.

FromToType

2015-08-242018-02-08 (The date I became a convention refugee)Visitor

2018-02-082019-07-08 (my pr date is 2019-07-09)Protected Person

Is this how I should be filling the forms... In this case the time I was a refugee applicant gets in the way..
If I put the visitor dates as my date of entry and the day I became a refugee claimant then it doesn't let me put in the dates of the duration of my time as protected person..

I am really confused and cannot start my application because I am unable to figure this out.
Thanks so much in advance for all your time and support.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello there!
I am trying to start my Canadian Citizenship application.
I came to Canada as a visitor. My entry date is 24.August.2015
I applied to extend my stay and my application was approved and I was given an extension 18.May.2016 to 31.December.2016
Right before my visitor status expired I made another extension application.
While my extension application was in process, I made a refugee application on 07.March.2017
My claim was heard on 8.February.2018 and I was approved as a Convention Refugee.
I got my confirmation of PR paper on 9.July.2019
When I was given the PR paper the officer told me that I can apply in 2 years since my presence as a visitor here will be calculated up to 365 days and added to my time in Canada.

I am having a hard time to put the right dates on my application form at eservices.
Did you have Canadian temporary resident status (i.e. as a visitor, international student, temporary worker, temporary resident permit holder), and/or were a protected person) between 2016-08-09 and 2019-07-08?
Please only list the periods of time you had authorized temporary resident or protected person status in Canada and the type of status you had between 2016-08-09 and 2019-07-08 and select Add Entry. Select Calculate when you have finished listing all periods of temporary residence.

When I put the date I came into Canada which is 24.Aug.2015 - to 7.March.2017 (Refugee Claimant) it says: A period you have entered is partially or completely outside the relevant five-year period. Please check that the dates are correct.
Then if I want to add the time from the day I was approved as a convention refugee to the date I got the PR it gives an error You have not completed all mandatory fields (*) or they have not been entered correctly. Please make the necessary corrections.

When I put it as below it accepts it.

FromToType

2015-08-242018-02-08 (The date I became a convention refugee)Visitor

2018-02-082019-07-08 (my pr date is 2019-07-09)Protected Person

Is this how I should be filling the forms... In this case the time I was a refugee applicant gets in the way..
If I put the visitor dates as my date of entry and the day I became a refugee claimant then it doesn't let me put in the dates of the duration of my time as protected person..

I am really confused and cannot start my application because I am unable to figure this out.
Thanks so much in advance for all your time and support.
Only the number of days accumulated in the past 5 years from the date of the application count. So, for example, if you are planning to apply on 9th August, only the past 5 years from August 9th is considered the "eligibility period" (In this case, on the physical presence calculator, it'll be from 9th August 2016 to 9th August 2021). You can't count any days before this period towards your physical presence for citizenship application.

Try entering the following :

Did you have Canadian temporary resident status (i.e. as a visitor, international student, temporary worker, temporary resident permit holder), and/or were a protected person) between 2016-08-09 and 2019-07-08? => Answer YES if this is true

Put the start date of temporary resident status as 2016-08-09 and then proceed from there. That should give you the correct calculation.