Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
A couple (one Chinese, the other Canadian) will want a citizenship certificate for their baby, born in China.

When they saw the photo specifications, they complained that the information Canada requires won't fit on the back of each photo. Canada wants the name of the baby; name, address and postal code of the photo company; signature of the photographer; and date of the photograph.

Furthermore, they will take the photos in their home town, where photograph companies don't have the capacity to write the information in pinyin or English. Even if they could fit the information in Chinese, I assume Canada wants it in pinyin or English.

Has anyone solved this problem before?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is easy. Hand write the info on the back of the photograph yourself in pinyin. You need to write it really small though (in order to fit)! I'm not sure about all consulates in China, but citizenship officers in Shanghai and Hong Kong are very understanding.

Aug 21, 2011
You may just ask the photo shop to use its company chop with address (in english) and a date chop and handwrite the name of the child yourself. Where are you in China? If your child has identification card and lives in Guangdong, you may take the photo that fit the specification at many places.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
salivatingwolf said:
You may just ask the photo shop to use its company chop with address (in english) and a date chop and handwrite the name of the child yourself. Where are you in China? If your child has identification card and lives in Guangdong, you may take the photo that fit the specification at many places.
But in the smaller towns (this one is near Enshi, near Wuhan), I don't think the photo companies have chops in English. So, for now, Steaky's suggestion makes most sense: write the information in really small pinyin. If the child is under 12 months old, CIC allows the photo size to be larger (for some unexplained reason), so that will give a little extra space on the back.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Steaky:

You have had experience getting a citizenship card for your child (or children) while outside Canada, right?

Did you, your wife, and children have to go to the consulate in person when submitting your application?

Guangzhou says this is their procedure, even though I have not seen this mentioned in any of the CIC websites.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shanghai and Hong Kong didn't say was their procedure. However, I live/work near the consulates so it was convenient to submit the applications in person.

Aug 21, 2011
Making application in Hongkong is convenient for sure, but they don't accept those from mainland China. I live in Guangdong, 300km from the Guangzhou Consulate, so it is very inconvenient to go there. I have my child's photo taken in Hongkong, as the Consulate suggested so. I have every document ready except the translation version of the birth cert, that I don't know how to do it since I cannot do it by myself. Some say do the translation through notary public, but the website from the Consulate say the translator has to make declaration in the Consulate. This really makes me puzzling .

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
steaky said:
Shanghai and Hong Kong didn't say was their procedure. However, I live/work near the consulates so it was convenient to submit the applications in person.
Right, but did you have to go there with your wife and child? Guangzhou says this is a requirement.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
salivatingwolf said:
Making application in Hongkong is convenient for sure, but they don't accept those from mainland China. I live in Guangdong, 300km from the Guangzhou Consulate, so it is very inconvenient to go there. I have my child's photo taken in Hongkong, as the Consulate suggested so. I have every document ready except the translation version of the birth cert, that I don't know how to do it since I cannot do it by myself. Some say do the translation through notary public, but the website from the Consulate say the translator has to make declaration in the Consulate. This really makes me puzzling .
The way I read the guide to the citizenship application, the translation can be made by any certified translator. The receptionist at the consulate in Guangzhou told me on the phone that any `high level`translation company would do, but that a translation by the local notary public would be even more impressive.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
toby said:
The way I read the guide to the citizenship application, the translation can be made by any certified translator. The receptionist at the consulate in Guangzhou told me on the phone that any `high level`translation company would do, but that a translation by the local notary public would be even more impressive.
I stand corrected. Guangxhou consulate says (in writing, which contradicts what I was told over the telephone):

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by
• the English or French translation, and
• an affidavit from the person who completed the translation.
Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a person authorized to administer oaths (my emphasis) in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document.
So, no matter how qualified the translator is, he/she must get the translation certified by a notary public.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
Right, but did you have to go there with your wife and child? Guangzhou says this is a requirement.
Yes, in order to pick up the card.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
steaky said:
Yes, in order to pick up the card.
When did Hong Kong say you all had to go to the consulate in person to pick up the citizenship card? It's not mentioned in the Guide to completing the application. I learned of this requirement only in a reply to one of my emails to Guangzhou. It seems an important detail to leave out of the literature.

Aug 21, 2011
if your child is born in Hongkong and you are legally married , your child is not required to show up. I did it years ago. My kids were born in Hongkong and i was married in Canada. If you are married in Mainland and your child is born there. all of you must show up at the Consulate. I guess all should know the reason,.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
salivatingwolf said:
if your child is born in Hongkong and you are legally married , your child is not required to show up. I did it years ago. My kids were born in Hongkong and i was married in Canada. If you are married in Mainland and your child is born there. all of you must show up at the Consulate. I guess all should know the reason,.
I think it depends on who you dealing with. The outcome could be different if you deal with another citizenship officer and another office.