+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Philippines - A few questions on how to sponsor :)

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
HI there.

First of all really appreciate any insight from anyone here.

I have sponsored in the past about 10 years ago and it didn't turn out well so my first question is how will this impact if I would attempt to do this again. The relationship I am in now is solid and we can back it up well but am concerned that I might get rejected based on having sponsored my ex-wife. (We are annulled, and she never ended up meeting her residency requirements and I owe nothing, etc, but still.)

The next thing is I currently live in the Philippines but want to live in Canada again and secure a new job for financial reasons. I am secure but don't want to waste anymore time here and was wondering how bad would it look to a common law application as we have lived together for 3 years and I can back it up.

The reason I am asking is because I am contemplating doing a church annulment in addition to the civil completed one and this will take time. And I want to start applying for my current fiancee as soon as possible but am worried that applying as common law might generate the "why didn't you just marry her while you were there" questions...

I could do a fast civil wedding but that might insult her family, etc. so just looking for opinions on how it would look if I applied as common law since it seems like it would be fine as long as we can prove living together for 12 months +.

Anyway thanks ahead of time :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
HI there.

First of all really appreciate any insight from anyone here.

I have sponsored in the past about 10 years ago and it didn't turn out well so my first question is how will this impact if I would attempt to do this again. The relationship I am in now is solid and we can back it up well but am concerned that I might get rejected based on having sponsored my ex-wife. (We are annulled, and she never ended up meeting her residency requirements and I owe nothing, etc, but still.)

The next thing is I currently live in the Philippines but want to live in Canada again and secure a new job for financial reasons. I am secure but don't want to waste anymore time here and was wondering how bad would it look to a common law application as we have lived together for 3 years and I can back it up.

The reason I am asking is because I am contemplating doing a church annulment in addition to the civil completed one and this will take time. And I want to start applying for my current fiancee as soon as possible but am worried that applying as common law might generate the "why didn't you just marry her while you were there" questions...

I could do a fast civil wedding but that might insult her family, etc. so just looking for opinions on how it would look if I applied as common law since it seems like it would be fine as long as we can prove living together for 12 months +.

Anyway thanks ahead of time :)
It's fine to apply as common-law. IRCC is not going to ask why you didn't marry.

Depending on the circumstances of the first sponsorship. IRCC may treat your app with extra scrutiny but as long as you provide solid proofs, you should be fine.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
It's fine to apply as common-law. IRCC is not going to ask why you didn't marry.

Depending on the circumstances of the first sponsorship. IRCC may treat your app with extra scrutiny but as long as you provide solid proofs, you should be fine.
Thanks for your response!