+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD student in the trap

Anastasia2014

Jul 29, 2018
Hello everyone,
I have never asked for the help in my whole life, but everything happens for the first time. I came to Quebec as a master student in 2014 and graduated in 2016. Right after that I decided to continue my studies as a PhD student in the same university. It's been more than half of my PhD studies and now I am involved in a conflict situation with my supervisor. My study permit is valid till December 2019. I was told that I cannot ask for open work permit because my master degree was gained 2 years ago, looks like it is completely useless:(((. I would like to ask what kind of options will be better in my case.
Thank you very much
P.S. I don't have CSQ, but I am going to apply for it asap.

Mr.Happy123

Star Member
Jul 24, 2018
The following is what I suggest:
(1) graduate with your current adviser
(2) Find another supervisor (even if he does not have funding) and finish your PhD.

Good luck!

ft395

Jun 30, 2015
here are the options i can think of:
0. learn French and get CSQ. But note that a condition of CSQ is that you CANNOT study in Quebec. You can be unemployed, but you cannot be a student after you get CSQ. MIDI may question your intention if you submit your application while you are a student.
1. finish your PhD despite your conflicts with your supervisor
2. find another professor to supervise you
3. talk to your current supervisor to allow you to graduate early with a master degree instead
4. if you have enough money and time allows, apply for another master degree, or training program in Quebec. In Quebec, as long as you are proficient in French, it will be very easy to get CSQ after you finish the program.
5. similar to 4, apply for master or PhD degree in another province.

I don't know your exact situation. From my perspective, 3 is the best solution. it's less risky and time/money efficient.