+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD student in Canada

suzie

Apr 30, 2008
Hey there,
ok, I've been to the immigration site (cic.gv.ca) and I have taken the test. There is one BIG open question though that no one seems to be able to answer...not even immigration after I called them. I've been living in Canada for about a year now (on a student visa) and am doing my PhD here. I do get a T4a and file taxes and all. NOW, the question is: is 'being a PhD student' considered work or not??? No one from the immigration office seems to know. Some they no, some they yes, because I get the T4a form...
is there anyone who can answer me this 'simple' question? I dont just wanna apply and waste 500 bucks and then get told that I dont have sufficient points...
thanks!!!

fasacrifice

Oct 6, 2007
Hey,

"being a PhD student" doesn't count as a work experience. But If you do RA or TA at the same time, It counts as a work experience. As long as I understood you do RA or TA because you got T4a.

I have the same situation. I have 4 years of RA and TA experience during my PhD and Masters. And They count it as 4 years. I just sent out my passport to the office for immigration visa.

suzie

Apr 30, 2008
thanks for your reply :) No, I dont do TA. I have a scholarship (that's why the T4A coz it's considered as 'other employment') and work in the lab basically 24/7. So I guess that's a 'no' then :( was it easier for you though because you were already living here and were doing post-secondary education? when did u start applying for your PR? did you have a lawyer? or did you apply after you got your PhD?

fasacrifice

Oct 6, 2007
If it's just scholarship, they don't count it. What about RA?

I got My Master's from my home country. I started my PhD there too but 1 year later I gave up and came to Canada in 2005. I got my experience (RA and TA) during my Master's and Phd(just I finished course work).

I came here to improve my English and finally I got accepted into another PhD program in Canada in 2007 but It didn't help me about my immigration stuff.

I applied December 2006. I got my medical request May 2008 and I just sent out my passport for immigration visa. Usually It doesn't take that much but my case took long. nobody knows the reason. Each case has different history.

I don't use a lawyer.

Invictus

Star Member
May 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2010
Doc's Request.
24-02-2010
AOR Received.
13-04-2010
IELTS Request
24-02-2010
File Transfer...
03-03-2010
Med's Request
20-07-2010
Med's Done....
01-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-09-2010 Decision Made: 19-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2010
PhD pursuit in Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Manitoba or Alberta

Hi all,

I have completed my medical examination this morning and sent RPRF today as well. I was wondering if there is anyone in this group planning to pursue PhD in Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Manitoba or any other province. If someone is in the pursuit of applying for MS/PhD, please post a message. Would love to share few important details.
I am planning for a PhD in Management discipline. I hold an MBA from United Kingdom. No GRE/GMAT. TOEFLE above 100 iBT. Publications are in pipe line. Need your advice on choosing province and universities with greatest possibility of getting funds and prospects of securing RA/TA.

Thank you

gavis

Aug 24, 2010
hi
i m also on the same boat n lookin 4 a RA or ph d in physics. i m a post graduate with honors in physics.can i b considered 4 ph d after i give my gre scores or i will have 2 apply 4 a masters?
anybody plz reply.

Invictus

Star Member
May 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2010
Doc's Request.
24-02-2010
AOR Received.
13-04-2010
IELTS Request
24-02-2010
File Transfer...
03-03-2010
Med's Request
20-07-2010
Med's Done....
01-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-09-2010 Decision Made: 19-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2010
fasacrifice said:
If it's just scholarship, they don't count it. What about RA?

I got My Master's from my home country. I started my PhD there too but 1 year later I gave up and came to Canada in 2005. I got my experience (RA and TA) during my Master's and Phd(just I finished course work).

I came here to improve my English and finally I got accepted into another PhD program in Canada in 2007 but It didn't help me about my immigration stuff.

I applied December 2006. I got my medical request May 2008 and I just sent out my passport for immigration visa. Usually It doesn't take that much but my case took long. nobody knows the reason. Each case has different history.

I don't use a lawyer.
Aren't you supposed to get PR after your PhD in Canada? May I ask you did you receive RA/GA for your PhD in Canada? What was your discipline in PhD?

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,
I'm a new poster here and I'm in the same situation. Skilled worker could work for me IF my 3 years of PhD can be counted as one continuous full time work experience. I work in the field of Biology, and this category is open to immigration. Here is what's on their application package "you are eligible if you have at least one year of continuous full time or equivalent paid work experience in the last ten years in at least one of the occupational categories identified in the Ministerial Instructions."
I do receive a pay from my University for my PhD work and a Teaching Assistanship. Whcih is why I wonder if it could count as "paid experience" as well.

I just had a communication with someone in my town about it, and here are the questions I got from her:
· Are you doing your PHD for a school credit?

· is the payment that you are receiving is a part of salary or funding?

· Do you get T4 ?

· How many hours per week do you work?

· Do you teach, do lab work, or do research?

· Have you work as a biologist full time or equivalent in a twelve month period, in Canada or outside Canada.? If you do then you may apply as skill worker

and here is my reply:

I'm conducting my PhD to become a researcher. The PhD program requires to take a few school credits (1.5) which I already did. I receive several types of payments for my PhD: one is a salary (it's called Graduate Teaching Assistanship: we work 10 hours a week by being teaching assitants to Undergraduate students during labs), others are Research Funding Assistanship. I do get T4. I'm a full time PhD student, so when I total my teaching hours with my research hours, I work at least 40 hours a week. So in short, I do research, lab work, and I teach. These are all part of the PhD. Conducting my PhD is the same as working as a biologist, and I've been doing this PhD for 3 years. I publish scientific articles, I give oral presentations at conferences, and I'm also part of conferences planning committees. What I would like to do is to apply as a skilled worker, and have my 3 years as a PhD student (as it is real scientifc work, same role as a biologist) to be considered equivalent as one year of full time work as a biologist. I heard that it was actually possible to do that after being in a PhD for only 2 years, but I want to make sure that it's possible.

I'd like to know if the ones here who have been/are in the same situation could let me know how/if they managed to get their PhD/Masters years to count as full time work, and if so, HOW.
It seems to me from all the posts I've read that it depends on who you talk to and I don't want to take that chance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

hil555

Feb 19, 2018
Hello,

I'm wondering if you did you manage to find the answers to these questions? I am trying to confirm that the paid Graduate Teaching Assistanship and possible RAship that I will be working in during a full time Phd in Canada (that will not continue into the summer) can be counted as 'work' for an FSWP application, and would appreciate a confirmation that it does.

Hi everyone,
I'm a new poster here and I'm in the same situation. Skilled worker could work for me IF my 3 years of PhD can be counted as one continuous full time work experience. I work in the field of Biology, and this category is open to immigration. Here is what's on their application package "you are eligible if you have at least one year of continuous full time or equivalent paid work experience in the last ten years in at least one of the occupational categories identified in the Ministerial Instructions."
I do receive a pay from my University for my PhD work and a Teaching Assistanship. Whcih is why I wonder if it could count as "paid experience" as well.

I just had a communication with someone in my town about it, and here are the questions I got from her:
· Are you doing your PHD for a school credit?

· is the payment that you are receiving is a part of salary or funding?

· Do you get T4 ?

· How many hours per week do you work?

· Do you teach, do lab work, or do research?

· Have you work as a biologist full time or equivalent in a twelve month period, in Canada or outside Canada.? If you do then you may apply as skill worker

and here is my reply:

I'm conducting my PhD to become a researcher. The PhD program requires to take a few school credits (1.5) which I already did. I receive several types of payments for my PhD: one is a salary (it's called Graduate Teaching Assistanship: we work 10 hours a week by being teaching assitants to Undergraduate students during labs), others are Research Funding Assistanship. I do get T4. I'm a full time PhD student, so when I total my teaching hours with my research hours, I work at least 40 hours a week. So in short, I do research, lab work, and I teach. These are all part of the PhD. Conducting my PhD is the same as working as a biologist, and I've been doing this PhD for 3 years. I publish scientific articles, I give oral presentations at conferences, and I'm also part of conferences planning committees. What I would like to do is to apply as a skilled worker, and have my 3 years as a PhD student (as it is real scientifc work, same role as a biologist) to be considered equivalent as one year of full time work as a biologist. I heard that it was actually possible to do that after being in a PhD for only 2 years, but I want to make sure that it's possible.

I'd like to know if the ones here who have been/are in the same situation could let me know how/if they managed to get their PhD/Masters years to count as full time work, and if so, HOW.
It seems to me from all the posts I've read that it depends on who you talk to and I don't want to take that chance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!