+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD student in Canada trying to apply for PR

sara10

Mar 24, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am a PhD student in Canada and I would like to know whether I should apply for my PR while I am still a student. I moved to Canada when I was 18 to do my Bachelor's degree in the field of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. It is a four year academic program. Then, I started my PhD in another province in Canada. I am currently in my fourth year of my PhD (in total, this is my 8th year in Canada) and my field of study is still Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (Specialization in Oncology). Someone told me that I still needed at least 2 years of skilled work experience. My Phd project is being funded by the local provincial cancer research centre (PCCRC) and not through my University. My lab is also at the research centre and not at the university. So technically, I am under the PCCRC's payroll. My bank deposits have the PCCRC's name. They have also agreed to provide an employment verification letter. If this is acceptable, then I have four years of skilled work experience. I am not sure what my job title would be and how it is classed on the CIC website. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The majority of Canadian economic immigration programs require you to have at least one year of full time paid work experience. Unfortunately any experience gained while studying in Canada cannot be counted as work experience towards any immigration program. So your lab work does not count as work experience for immigration purposes. Only work experience gained after you complete your PhD can be counted.

There are some Provincial Nominee programs (e.g. Ontario) that provide paths to immigration for those still in the process of completing their PhDs. I would recommend you research the PNP program for the province you're studying in.

majid_kam

Jan 10, 2017
What about if I have an international experience that can be recognized in Canada before involving in the PhD program?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
majid_kam said:
What about if I have an international experience that can be recognized in Canada before involving in the PhD program?
Yes - international experience can certainly be used to qualify for PR.

sara10

Mar 24, 2017
scylla said:
The majority of Canadian economic immigration programs require you to have at least one year of full time paid work experience. Unfortunately any experience gained while studying in Canada cannot be counted as work experience towards any immigration program. So your lab work does not count as work experience for immigration purposes. Only work experience gained after you complete your PhD can be counted.

There are some Provincial Nominee programs (e.g. Ontario) that provide paths to immigration for those still in the process of completing their PhDs. I would recommend you research the PNP program for the province you're studying in.
Yea... I figured. It is frustrating because I have actually been in Canada for more than 8 years. I am currently living in BC and I might be able to apply PNP through International graduates but it says that I should have graduated in the last two years. I did my bachelors in 2013 and started my PhD in 2014. If I known then, I would have just applied for it.