+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

phd stream under express entry

morena34

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
lcck07 said:
I have tried to add my RA and TA experience into the EE profile, but applicant must confirm if the experiences are obtained during full-time study. After finishing the EE profile (my work experience just includes RA and TA), the results showed I am ineligible for the application. I believe most of Phd students just have the RA and TA work experience. So the current EE application means very low chance for phd applicants :mad: :mad: :mad:

So can we submit another profile later on or we have to wait certain period of time?

ZiadPal

Star Member
Jan 1, 2015
morena34 said:
So can we submit another profile later on or we have to wait certain period of time?
This means literary that there is no program available for PhD students. Those students who applied last year was really so lucky.

berniechin

Dec 13, 2014
ZiadPal said:
Hi again
so what about the bank account? if I have stipend from the university do I still need to have 11 thousands in my account?
I think so. you have to show how much money you have in the account.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
namaste said:
No, you can't choose which program you are applying for. The system figures it out for you once you put all your information in. You will be eligible to be in the pool if you can qualify under at least one of the streams otherwise you are found ineligible to be in the pool.
If that's the case, then work experience that is obtained while doing full-time study should also count. It would not count under CEC, because it is explicitly mentioned that you cannot do so. There is never a mention that it will not work for FSWP, so graduate TA/RA should still count for FSWP.

Once someone specifies that he has obtained his work experience while studying full time, that would have automatically precluded him from applying under CEC. That means, he would only be able to qualify under FSWP or FSTP. Assuming we rule out FSTP as well, then he could only potentially qualify under FSWP.

However, qualifying under FSWP would also mean that one would also need to:
1. Satisfy the minimum requirements
2. Get at least 67 points under the six selection factors
3. Have the least the minimum required funds
4. Have your highest foreign credentials evaluated for Canadian equivalency
5. Score at least CLB level 7 in EACH of the modules

If you don't satisfy any of the above, then your profile won't qualify for FSWP. I think those who said they were not eligible probably must have missed one of the above, rather than because they only used graduate RA/TA experience.

As mentioned, using TA/RA would have automatically precluded one from applying under CEC, so he would be considered under FSWP, and not satisfying ANY of the above requirements would also render one ineligible to apply under FSWP.

If anybody can clarify, that would greatly be appreciated.

lcck07 said:
Thanks for your info. But the question is you will become "ineligible" if the you show the RA/TA experience when you are full-time phd student. I already tried to create my EE profile with RA and TA experience, but the result showed i am ineligible for EE app.
Can you confirm whether you have satisfied ALL of the other requirements for FSWP?

Did you have your Master's degree evaluated for Canadian equivalency? Do you have at least the required amount of funds? Have you taken IELTS, and scored at least CLB level 7 in each of the modules (even if one is less than CLB level 7, you won't qualify)? Did you get at least 67 points under the FSWP six selection factors?

doc_mady

Star Member
Dec 12, 2014
meyakanor said:
If that's the case, then work experience that is obtained while doing full-time study should also count. It would not count under CEC, because it is explicitly mentioned that you cannot do so. There is never a mention that it will not work for FSWP, so graduate TA/RA should still count for FSWP.

Once someone specifies that he has obtained his work experience while studying full time, that would have automatically precluded him from applying under CEC. That means, he would only be able to qualify under FSWP or FSTP. Assuming we rule out FSTP as well, then he could only potentially qualify under FSWP.

However, qualifying under FSWP would also mean that one would also need to:
1. Satisfy the minimum requirements
2. Get at least 67 points under the six selection factors
3. Have the least the minimum required funds
4. Have your highest foreign credentials evaluated for Canadian equivalency
5. Score at least CLB level 7 in EACH of the modules

If you don't satisfy any of the above, then your profile won't qualify for FSWP. I think those who said they were not eligible probably must have missed one of the above, rather than because they only used graduate RA/TA experience.

As mentioned, using TA/RA would have automatically precluded one from applying under CEC, so he would be considered under FSWP, and not satisfying ANY of the above requirements would also render one ineligible to apply under FSWP.

If anybody can clarify, that would greatly be appreciated.

Can you confirm whether you have satisfied ALL of the other requirements for FSWP?

Did you have your Master's degree evaluated for Canadian equivalency? Do you have at least the required amount of funds? Have you taken IELTS, and scored at least CLB level 7 in each of the modules (even if one is less than CLB level 7, you won't qualify)? Did you get at least 67 points under the FSWP six selection factors?
This is NOT TRUE. Any work experience obtained while you are a Full-time student in Canada (on a study permit), will NEVER be counted towards your work experience. TA/RA is not counted in both FSW or CEC programs. I know it sucks, but this is the reality. CIC is not looking for students. They are looking for workers with real work experience.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
meyakanor said:
No, work experiences gained during study does not count for CRS points. Part-time or full time.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
doc_mady said:
This is NOT TRUE. Any work experience obtained while you are a Full-time student in Canada (on a study permit), will NEVER be counted towards your work experience. TA/RA is not counted in both FSW or CEC programs. I know it sucks, but this is the reality. CIC is not looking for students. They are looking for workers with real work experience.
Can you point to the specific part of IRPA, IRPR or the CIC website that explicitly states it cannot be the case? That would be appreciated.

Also, for those who arr applying under FSWP, keep in mind that there may be other things that made you ineligible. All of the factors I mentioned above would render one ineligible to apply under FSWP.

Again, point me to the specific rule that states work experience under full time study won't be accepted under FSWP, then we'll discuss.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
mf4361 said:
No, work experiences gained during study does not count for CRS points. Part-time or full time.
Again, can you point me to the specific rule that states so? Show me part of the IRPR, IRPA, OR the CIC website that specifically mentions that work experience gained while doing full time study can't count for the purpose of CRS.

I understand that it won't count for CEC because it is EXPLICITLY written so, but show me something similar for CRS or FSWP. I'm really curious to know.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
meyakanor said:
Again, can you point me to the specific rule that states so? Show me part of the IRPR, IRPA, OR the CIC website that specifically mentions that work experience gained while doing full time study can't count for the purpose of CRS.

I understand that it won't count for CEC because it is EXPLICITLY written so, but show me something similar for CRS or FSWP. I'm really curious to know.
Canada Gazette

(7) For the purposes of this section,

(a) a period of employment during which the foreign national was engaged in full-time study is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience;

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
mf4361 said:
Canada Gazette

(7) For the purposes of this section,

(a) a period of employment during which the foreign national was engaged in full-time study is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience;
Thanks for the clarification. That particular subsection applies specifically for CRS calculation. I think it just means that those with only TA/RA work experience won't be able to claim work experience points under CRS. I don't think it would necessarily preclude them from applying under FSWP and getting their names on the pool. They will just have There is a little nuance here in that the eligibility criteria for FSWP and the point system are different than the one for CRS. I will double check the rules again.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
meyakanor said:
Thanks for the clarification. That particular subsection applies specifically for CRS calculation. I think it just means that those with only TA/RA work experience won't be able to claim work experience points under CRS. I don't think it would necessarily preclude them from applying under FSWP and getting their names on the pool. They will just have There is a little nuance here in that the eligibility criteria for FSWP and the point system are different than the one for CRS. I will double check the rules again.
No it does not mean by default you are not good for FSWP, I have clearly mentioned that's for CRS points.

It's like CEC doesn't require continuous of 1 year, but the 40 points for Canadian work experiences in CRS system does. (Don't quote me on that yet)

dadakoko

Star Member
Mar 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So is the PhD Stream cancelled? Our discussions has all been on ways out if this is the case without addressing specifically if it has.

Obviously PhD students even with all the analysis so far can't make the EE.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
mf4361 said:
No it does not mean by default you are not good for FSWP, I have clearly mentioned that's for CRS points.

It's like CEC doesn't require continuous of 1 year, but the 40 points for Canadian work experiences in CRS system does. (Don't quote me on that yet)
Ya, there are little nuances like the one you just mentioned. For example, CEC does not require you to have your foreign credentials evaluated by eligible institutions, but if you want to claim points under CRS, you would have to. Likewise, CRS does require your Canadian work experience to be continuous, whereas CEC does not.

I'm researching the Acts and Regulations now to see if there is anything precluding people with only TA/RA experience to qualify under FSWP. I know for sure that from previous years, PhD students with only TA/RA experience can pass minimum requirements and get PR that way. I am such an example as I applied for PR under TA/RA experience only, and got my PR happily two years ago.

I think what will really end up happening is that, PhD students will still be able to get their names onto the pool with only TA/RA experience under FSWP, but they will be significantly at disadvantage since they will not get any work experience points in the pool :(

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
dadakoko said:
So is the PhD Stream cancelled? Our discussions has all been on ways out if this is the case without addressing specifically if it has.

Obviously PhD students even with all the analysis so far can't make the EE.
I think PhD students with TA/RA experience only can still make it pass FSWP. They can still make it to the pool. I'm still trying to find some info about it, but if anyone can pinpoint exactly that would preclude them from entering the pool at all, please let us know.

What we know for sure though, for the purpose of the CRS point system, TA/RA won't count, so you will have 0 point for work experience once in the pool, which will significantly put you at disadvantage compared with other people.

morena34

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
Again, I created my EE profile with only RA/TA experience and I ended up being "ineligible".
Immediately after the profile was submitted I received a message in my CIC that I was ineligible. So it's obvious that the system automatically make you ineligible if we are only relying on RA/TA experience during our "Full-time study".