+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD People

subalsaini

Feb 22, 2017
I have a doubt. Can a person who has done a PhD for 5 years claim work experience as a research assistant for those 5 years because he was paid fellowship stipend for those 5 years.

jahmedir

Star Member
Nov 11, 2016
In my understanding, you can claim and will get points for your paid work as "research assistant" even if it is as PhD student.
Even, if in Canada.

happyperson16

May 4, 2016
jahmedir said:
In my understanding, you can claim and will get points for your paid work as "research assistant" even if it is as PhD student.
Even, if in Canada.
I don't think so as they do not give you point for the period while you are studying. I am talking from my little experience as a doctoral student who's been a GA for 4 years.

slash_splash

Star Member
Nov 21, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
24-01-2017
Passport Req..
06-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
19-04-2017
jahmedir said:
Even, if in Canada.
You cannot get any point for the work experience you gained in a Study Permit. You get point if you are in a work permit and then work as a research assistant.

rxyz

Star Member
Feb 24, 2017
also look at this:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/teachingresearch-assistant-experience-during-phd-please-offer-any-thoughts-t438560.0.html

immigrationfun

Star Member
May 17, 2016
I faced the same issue. Based on some research done through various threads in this forum this is the conclusion
a) IF your PhD + RA is in Canada while on a study permit, you cannot count the experience for EE points
b) If it is outside Canada, then you can count it under NOC code 4012.
Hope that helps
-Immigrationfun

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-05-2017
AOR Received.
07-05-2017
jahmedir said:
Even, if in Canada.
If pH. D done in Canada, no points will be given. 4012 is not for people received ph. d outside Canada. I am certain about it.

rxyz

Star Member
Feb 24, 2017
karthik506 said:
If pH. D done in Canada, no points will be given. 4012 is not for people received ph. d outside Canada. I am certain about it.
your sentence is contradicting itself. Basically you are claiming you are claiming you are not getting point in Canada and 4012 is not for outside of Canada so is it for inside of Canada. Anyways from CIC it looks to me you get point from inside or outside of Canada for your TA/RA but you don't get point for Canada experience category.

Fasa

Dec 16, 2016
subalsaini said:
I have a doubt. Can a person who has done a PhD for 5 years claim work experience as a research assistant for those 5 years because he was paid fellowship stipend for those 5 years.
Yes you can but not under CEC. I am in the same situation and I got my Ontario nomination last week. But it was a long process as I had to prove that it was continues. Let me know if I can help you

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-05-2017
AOR Received.
07-05-2017
rxyz said:
your sentence is contradicting itself. Basically you are claiming you are claiming you are not getting point in Canada and 4012 is not for outside of Canada so is it for inside of Canada. Anyways from CIC it looks to me you get point from inside or outside of Canada for your TA/RA but you don't get point for Canada experience category.

Sorry for the mistake. It is only for FSW...

pawansh

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
De
Yes you can but not under CEC. I am in the same situation and I got my Ontario nomination last week. But it was a long process as I had to prove that it was continues. Let me know if I can help you
Dear I did my PHD in microbiology in India, can i claim work experience gained during PHD. Also i was on scholarship.

pawansh

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
Hey have you got work experience point for PHD, cause i have the same situation