+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD in Biotech( Microbiology)

seeker321

May 12, 2014
Hi All,
This is the first time i am posting something on a forum so apologies in advance if i am doing this all wrong :D. The reason i started this thread is to gather some info about doing a PhD in Biotechnology (Microbiology) in Canada. I have completed my masters with a minor thesis from Australia and i have roundabout 7 years worth of experience in research and academia. Like most others i have done my share of scouting for a good uni which offers a reasonable funding and i have shortlisted a few. I am yet to submit my application and contact the supervisor because i was unsure that i have completely explored all my options. I would greatly appreciate any pointers that u might have in regards to my few queries.

1. I tried contacting many consultancy's and i am yet to find one that offer assistance for PhD applicants, so if u happen to know any, please do let me know. ( I want the help of a consultancy not because i am too lazy to do it on my own, i just thought once my paranoia sets in, a safety net and someone to pester with questions would b nice :p)

2. Is there any particular uni's that offer a PhD in Microbiology that i should b looking at? ( Good rep and funding, with a slight priority to funding, (Hey not everyone is an Ambani :p)

3. What sort of funding am i looking at? Would i b able to support myself with that funding or do i need to look for alternate means?, and what are my chances of securing a part time work on or off campus?

3. Any do and dont's that i should know about when applying for a PhD in Canada?

4. Is there any mandatory exams that i should b doing?, other than IELTS off course.

5. I plan on staying back in Canada once i am done with my PhD ( that is, hoping that i get to do one in Canada), So what are my prospects on getting a P.R and descent job after the completion of my PhD?

If you happen to know anything about the same please do help me out. Many thanks in advance