+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD graduate in Ontario, moving to Alberta for work

Kruschev

Oct 11, 2019
Hi guys,

I am finishing my PhD next year in Ontario and got a job in Alberta. Can I work in Alberta and apply PhD stream in Ontario. I understand I need to show I want to live in Ontario in the future. So my wife and child will stay in Ontario and I spend the weedends in Ontario. Does anyone know have similar issue or know if this is possible please? Thank you very much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

I am finishing my PhD next year in Ontario and got a job in Alberta. Can I work in Alberta and apply PhD stream in Ontario. I understand I need to show I want to live in Ontario in the future. So my wife and child will stay in Ontario and I spend the weedends in Ontario. Does anyone know have similar issue or know if this is possible please? Thank you very much.
This is an unusual situation and I don't think any of us here can tell you for certain what the outcome will be.

So you plan to fly back and for each weekend between the two provinces and maintain two separate rental properties, one in each province?

Kruschev

Oct 11, 2019
This is an unusual situation and I don't think any of us here can tell you for certain what the outcome will be.

So you plan to fly back and for each weekend between the two provinces and maintain two separate rental properties, one in each province?
Hi Scylla,

Thank you very much for your reply. My plan is to rent apartment in Ontario and live in hotel in Alberta. Because it's going to be business trip anyway. I don't know if this is possible from the perspective of just PR application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Scylla,

Thank you very much for your reply. My plan is to rent apartment in Ontario and live in hotel in Alberta. Because it's going to be business trip anyway. I don't know if this is possible from the perspective of just PR application.
It's not going to be a business trip. Alberta will be your primary place of employment. You'll need to be honest about that in your application.

You'll have a lot of ties to Ontario. However your primary place of employment will be Alberta.

You can certainly apply. How Ontario assesses the application isn't something we can definitively predict.