+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP

danishali

Star Member
Oct 22, 2010
HI,

I am doing my masters in engineering at waterloo.. my admission letter says that "THE PROGRAM MIGHT BE COMPLETED IN 1 YEAR HOWEVER IT SHOULD NOT TAKE MORE THAN 3 YEARS FOR A STUDENT TO COMPLETE HIS DEGREE"..I started in Jan 2011. As per my plans at the time of graduating I will have taken 4 terms (4 months per term..ie 16 months) back to back to complete my degree.. I wanted to know that for how long of a PGWP do I qualify.

More so would it matter in any way on the duration of my work permit if I do my final term part time as i will not be left with many courses to be full time student.

regards,

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
danishali said:
HI,

I am doing my masters in engineering at waterloo.. my admission letter says that "THE PROGRAM MIGHT BE COMPLETED IN 1 YEAR HOWEVER IT SHOULD NOT TAKE MORE THAN 3 YEARS FOR A STUDENT TO COMPLETE HIS DEGREE"..I started in Jan 2011. As per my plans at the time of graduating I will have taken 4 terms (4 months per term..ie 16 months) back to back to complete my degree.. I wanted to know that for how long of a PGWP do I qualify.

More so would it matter in any way on the duration of my work permit if I do my final term part time as i will not be left with many courses to be full time student.

regards,

Hi,

1. Check out total number of credit hours under your course. To qualify for a 3 year PGWP (for a Master level course) you need around 57 to 60 credit hours (duration of course does not matter)

2. You qualify for PGWP even if you complete your last term as a registered part time student ONLY if you need a few courses to graduate and you have been full time student during your program.

umair_051

Oct 4, 2011
Hi,

1. Check out total number of credit hours under your course. To qualify for a 3 year PGWP (for a Master level course) you need around 57 to 60 credit hours (duration of course does not matter)

2. You qualify for PGWP even if you complete your last term as a registered part time student ONLY if you need a few courses to graduate and you have been full time student during your program.
Hi enfield

Are you sure about that "57-60" credit hour thing? I mean have you read it somewhere or does it come from any authentic source or just your guess? Because i have applied for Masters in Engineering program at concordia university which is only 45 credit hours program. Although its duration is 2 years. So what in that case?

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
umair_051 said:
Hi enfield

Are you sure about that "57-60" credit hour thing? I mean have you read it somewhere or does it come from any authentic source or just your guess? Because i have applied for Masters in Engineering program at concordia university which is only 45 credit hours program. Although its duration is 2 years. So what in that case?

Hi,

I am NOT 100 percent sure of “57-60” credit hours. I strongly believe that a 3 year PGWP is more a matter of credit hours. A four year Undergraduate degree consists of a full 120 credit hours. I am not sure how much credit hours required for a Master level student to get qualify for a 3 year PGWP (I think it depends on course).

I have few facts;

1. My elder sibling did MBA in 15 months with full 57 credit hours (original duration was 18 months) and received a full 3 year PGWP.

2. On this forum we have one classic case where a student did a full 2 year course but ended up with a 1 year of PGWP.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/i-studied-for-2-years-still-got-1-year-work-permit-t84571.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/2-back-to-back-1-year-course-t85562.0.html

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
enfield any link or information regarding 1 year pgwp credit hour requirement??

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
royalsting said:
enfield any link or information regarding 1 year pgwp credit hour requirement??
Hi,

The important thing is 3 years of PGWP after 15/18/24 months of studies (bases on required credit hours). Of course, one year of course shall result into one year of PGWP.

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
enfield said:
Hi,

The important thing is 3 years of PGWP after 15/18/24 months of studies (bases on required credit hours). Of course, one year of course shall result into one year of PGWP.
Oh ya, my bad. Actually that information revealed something big :).

One last question, is it okay to change course from India itself? As I want to shift from Marketing Management to HRM and college is okay with that.

My only concern is CIC or POE objection against it or some other sort of problem evolving because of it.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
royalsting said:
Oh ya, my bad. Actually that information revealed something big :).

One last question, is it okay to change course from India itself? As I want to shift from Marketing Management to HRM and college is okay with that.

My only concern is CIC or POE objection against it or some other sort of problem evolving because of it.
Hi,

It’s better to change once you clear POE. As you might be aware that one need to produce LOA at the POE, so I am not sure if you would like to show a new LOA…who knows if they might raise some objection. You are free to do anything once you cross over POE.

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
enfield said:
Hi,

It's better to change once you clear POE. As you might be aware that one need to produce LOA at the POE, so I am not sure if you would like to show a new LOA...who knows if they might raise some objection. You are free to do anything once you cross over POE.
Thanks again for the advice bro. I believe you are right, my only concern is seats turning full. But I would rather not take risk with my VISA.

I am willing to give you +1 again but some 168 hours limit rules holding my right.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
royalsting said:
Thanks again for the advice bro. I believe you are right, my only concern is seats turning full. But I would rather not take risk with my VISA.

I am willing to give you +1 again but some 168 hours limit rules holding my right.
Hi,

The only issue is POE. You can order a new LOA for a new course, but at the POE show only previous LOA. The new LOA is solely a matter between you and your school.

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
enfield said:
Hi,

The only issue is POE. You can order a new LOA for a new course, but at the POE show only previous LOA. The new LOA is solely a matter between you and your school.
Ya, I think the Port of Entry could be the only issue ie if the data with them and the LOA don't match. (they ask for LOA and this must be the reason, that is matching this data)

Also your advice is absolutely correct. I will talk to my consultant as well tomorrow, they have been very helpful and genuine throughout my case.

ad singh

May 23, 2011
Visa Office......
CHC CHD
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31 March 2015
Nomination.....
15 March 2016
AOR Received.
18 April 2016
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
Med's Request
1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
enfield said:
Hi,

I am NOT 100 percent sure of “57-60” credit hours. I strongly believe that a 3 year PGWP is more a matter of credit hours. A four year Undergraduate degree consists of a full 120 credit hours. I am not sure how much credit hours required for a Master level student to get qualify for a 3 year PGWP (I think it depends on course).

I have few facts;

1. My elder sibling did MBA in 15 months with full 57 credit hours (original duration was 18 months) and received a full 3 year PGWP.

@ enfield

My programme will give me 48 credits. so what will be the approximate period of my work permit ? its a two year..four semester .. 16 courses ( each course gives 3 credit hours) program.

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
If its one year program and under spp then year, if its two year then as per credit hours you can only get one year.

You can go for another back to back course and make it reach around 60 CH and go for 3 years PGWP.

ad singh

May 23, 2011
Visa Office......
CHC CHD
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31 March 2015
Nomination.....
15 March 2016
AOR Received.
18 April 2016
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
Med's Request
1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
royalsting said:
If its one year program and under spp then year, if its two year then as per credit hours you can only get one year.

You can go for another back to back course and make it reach around 60 CH and go for 3 years PGWP.
buddy ..i am not under spp.. and my program is of 2 years.