+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP

jasmit03

Sep 13, 2020
Hello,

My Study permit is expiring soon (by Sept 30th).

- I have applied for PGWP in April and haven't heard back anything yet. Just received a letter of Biometrics but due to Covid-19 was unable to complete that.

- I know I have to stop working as soon as the my study permit expires - but do I have to apply for any other permit.. like an extension or visitor visa? I am very worried about this.

- Also, has anyone started receiving work permits without biometrics? (If yes, congratulations! Can you mention when did you apply for it?)

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You can continue working under implied status past September 30 as you applied for a PGWP before your study permit expired. If you need a new TRV you should also apply to extend that but it does not affect your ability to work, only travel.

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

jasmit03

Sep 13, 2020
I'm not planning on travelling..Is it still necessary to apply for a TRV or I can stay in Canada as a temporary resident waiting for a decision to be made on my PGWP even after my study permit expires?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Yes, and you can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your application. You should renew your TRV anyways if it's about to expire since presumably you'll want to travel at some point.

Reactions: jasmit03

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I'm not planning on travelling..Is it still necessary to apply for a TRV or I can stay in Canada as a temporary resident waiting for a decision to be made on my PGWP even after my study permit expires?
If you leave Canada , your implied status gets revoked.

Implied status and travelling outside Canada
A temporary resident with implied status who has left Canada may be allowed to

• re-enter Canada as a temporary resident, pending a decision on the renewal of their application to study or work in Canada, provided they are temporary resident visa (TRV)-exempt, as per section R190, or on a multiple-entry visa.
    They may not resume work or study in Canada until their application for renewal has been granted. Those not able to resume work must satisfy the border services officer that they have sufficient means of support.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018

Also

You can apply for a visitor visa ( TRV ) from inside Canada if you meet all the conditions below:

• you’re already in Canada
  • you hold a valid study or work permit
  • you want to leave and return to Canada in the near future
  • your existing visitor visa is expired or was valid for only one entry
You should apply at least 2 months before you plan to leave Canada.

To answer your question , no , it's not ncessary to apply for TRV. You need to wait to you're back on a valid status , WP.

jasmit03

Sep 13, 2020
Also

You can apply for a visitor visa ( TRV ) from inside Canada if you meet all the conditions below:

• you’re already in Canada
  • you hold a valid study or work permit
  • you want to leave and return to Canada in the near future
  • your existing visitor visa is expired or was valid for only one entry
You should apply at least 2 months before you plan to leave Canada.

To answer your question , no , it's not ncessary to apply for TRV. You need to wait to you're back on a valid status , WP.
Thank you - this clears a lot of confusion I had because my study permit is expiring soon so how would I apply for a TRV.

jasmit03

Sep 13, 2020
I am still very confused because on the cic website it states that:

• On the expiry of your study permit you must stop any of the activities stated in the original study permit once the permit expires. For example, you may have come to Canada as a student and then applied for a work permit. If so, you must stop studying once your study permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Thank you - this clears a lot of confusion I had because my study permit is expiring soon so how would I apply for a TRV.
You don´t need to apply for TRV if you´re not travelling anytime soon, you can just do it later if you do. You can continue working until you get your PGWP approval even if your study permit is expired, right now they´re processing march WP applicants so yours should follow soon.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181&top=15

Reactions: jasmit03

jasmit03

Sep 13, 2020
Reactions: Miss bee

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
Can someone please help me with this question??
A family member of mine has a TRV stamping till June 2021 as a student but now has a valid PGWP.
Can someone please help if it is okay to re-enter Canada on the basis of valid PGWP (with job offer) and an active TRV stamp which has a S-1 stamping? There has been no clarification on IRCC website about this as a TRV is a TRV and there are no further classes in that.

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
A family member of mine has a TRV stamping till June 2021 as a student but now has a valid PGWP.
Can someone please help if it is okay to re-enter Canada on the basis of valid PGWP (with job offer) and an active TRV stamp which has a S-1 stamping? There has been no clarification on IRCC website about this as a TRV is a TRV and there are no further classes in that.
@canuck_in_uk
@scylla

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
TRV is a TRV.