+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP

Bob1990

Nov 23, 2015
Hi Guys

I am about to complete my program in December but my current study permit expires the end of this month (November). I have already applied for an extension in October but based on the increasing processing time I am doubtful that I will have it anytime before January.

So my question is:

Since I would be finishing my degree in December, can I apply for the PGWP while waiting on the new study permit or do I have to wait until a decision is made on the extension?

Thanks for the help!

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Bob1990 said:
Hi Guys

I am about to complete my program in December but my current study permit expires the end of this month (November). I have already applied for an extension in October but based on the increasing processing time I am doubtful that I will have it anytime before January.

So my question is:

Since I would be finishing my degree in December, can I apply for the PGWP while waiting on the new study permit or do I have to wait until a decision is made on the extension?

Thanks for the help!

You need a valid study permit in hand before applying for a PGWP.

ndrs11

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Bob1990 said:
Hi Guys

So my question is:

Thanks for the help!
Hi,
if your study permit is expired, you could apply for a restoration of study permit plus a PGWP at the same time, but in order to apply for a PGWP you need a letter from your university stating that you HAVE finished your requirements.

Now, even if you finish your classes in December, normally grades are not reflected in your official transcript until at least a month later. and if grades are not reflected in your transcript, your university won't be able to give you that letter.

So it means you'd probably be able to apply for a PGWP by mid or late January. Which is when fall grades are normally reflected in official transcripts.

So by then you should already have an answer about your student permit extension.